Was the Fall a planet-local event?

A few questions.

Was our Fall into sin an event local to our planet? I.e. did it bring sin into this world (Earth) only? Or did it introduce sin into the entire Universe?

If if was planet-local, what about other planets with intelligent life? Is it likely that on any such planet at some point in time a similar Fall into sin would happen there also? Or was the fall into sin that happened here on Earth, an extremely unusual event that’s unlikely to occur in other worlds?

If it’s likely to happen (or to have happened) on other planets also, would each of those planets then have to be visited by an incarnation of God for its sinful creatures to be saved from perdition? Would that be the same incarnation (i.e. Jesus) that visited our planet?

Tough questions, I know. There will be likes and smileys for those offering meaningful answers.

C.S. Lewis seemed to think so. It is one of the reasons he was firmly opposed to our potential colonisation of other planets, as he considered that such an undertaking would essentially be spreading the corruption of original sin to other, possibly untainted worlds. It is a theory worth considering. Lewis incorporated this idea into his ‘Space Trilogy’ of novels, especially the middle volume, Perelandra, in which the Eve figure of another planet’s pre-lapsarian Eden is approached in turn by representatives of Christ (Maleldil) and Satan. In Lewis’ fictional cosmology, Earth is known as the Dark Planet, or Thulcandra, due to the impenetrable black cloud of original sin which envelops it.

If there is intelligent life on other planets, we do not know what their spiritual state might be.

We have no way of knowing. God has given us His plan for this world only.

The physical universe is one interconnected while. So it wouldn’t be possible for “the fall” and its impact to be localized.

As to anything else, it’s pointless to speculate because we just don’t know. We know God created the angels pure spirit and us in his image. People and angels are the only two spirits with intellect and will that we know about.

“Dark” Planet?

The fall only taints the descendants of Adam and Eve. Other planets would need their own fall for original sin.

I wrote a sci-fi first-contact novel in which the Fall was only species-specific (human), and there was at least one extra-terrestrial race that had not fallen.

However, that was a fictional work of my own imagination. The truth is that we don’t have enough evidence to say one way or the other.

D

We shouldn’t allow such thoughts, you’d best STAY OUT of the deep end
of the pool. There’s NO life guard on duty there.

Published? Available on your website?

Too late! I’ve already fallen in, End_Timer. But it’s alright – I’m learning to be the life guard :slight_smile:

I believe that when some of the angels fell, a very long time ago, God permitted creation to fall, since angels have a role in overseeing God’s creation. So Adam and Eve were created and placed in an unfallen place, the Garden of Eden. Then, when they fell, they were fit to life in this fallen world.

Don’t we have enough problems here on earth?

I would say that the effect is only on humans rather than the planet.

I’m sending you an Amazon link in a PM.

D

Could I have the link too, please?

I’ll just put it here for anyone who’s interested. Mods, if I’m breaking a rule, feel free to delete the post.

D

If Enoch went to be with God after 300 years or so… whats to say he couldnt come back down to Earth or another planet to have children like the angels?

All our myriad problems can be traced back to the Fall. So on a fundamental level, we have only one problem.

IF there was such a thing as life on any other planet, I might have to agree with your second point, but I seriously doubt it. “If” is a small word with a very big meaning. IMHO, there are no other human or human-like creatures on any other planet in the entire universe. Go ahead, call me crazy. You wouldn’t be the first. :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually, it wasn’t only mankind that was tainted by the fall. The entire earth was also affected. All of the plants and animals, and even the earth itself, was twisted by the evil corruption of sin. I have no doubt that the effects of it also stretch across the entire universe.

“Genesis 1: [14] And the Lord God said to the serpent: Because thou hast done this thing, thou art cursed among all cattle, and beasts of the earth

In this passage God curses the serpent along with “all cattle, and beasts of the earth”. Before the fall, all of the animals were docile and lived peacefully in the Garden, together.

“[17] And to Adam he said: Because thou hast hearkened to the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldst not eat, cursed is the earth in thy work; with labour and toil shalt thou eat thereof all the days of thy life. [18] Thorns and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herbs of the earth.”

But, in this passage, God clearly curses the entire earth. The curse affects the weather and everything else that happens on the earth, and to the earth. The corruption that’s caused by sin doesn’t only effect the person who commits it. Every single sin affects the entire creation of God, just like throwing in a single stone causes ripples that can spread across the whole pond.

Sin is like a cancer that will continue to grow out of control, without any chance of a cure, if it’s left untreated. As it grows in one place in the body, it slowly spreads itself to another place, and another place. It twists and contorts all of the cells that are affected by it, and it grows stronger as the “host” grows weaker. The end result is the death of both the “host” and the cancer. It’s complete chaos that just seems to charge headlong toward its own destruction. That’s what sin does to all of us, whenever we allow it to control us and don’t try to avoid it, or treat the infection with an effective remedy (Reconciliation).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.