Was The Last Supper Real?

Non Catholics practice communion as a commerative practice and do not believe as we do that Jesus is present body, soul and divinity in the Holy Euchrist. Do they think He was truly present in the bread and wine when He first did this at the Last Supper? Why do they think He did it then? Part of me understands how they may be confused because after it ‘is a mystery’ but what a beautiful mystery it is and just another reason why OUR LORD IS GREAT!

[quote=kjd3smith]Non Catholics practice communion as a commerative practice and do not believe as we do that Jesus is present body, soul and divinity in the Holy Euchrist. Do they think He was truly present in the bread and wine when He first did this at the Last Supper? Why do they think He did it then? Part of me understands how they may be confused because after it ‘is a mystery’ but what a beautiful mystery it is and just another reason why OUR LORD IS GREAT!
[/quote]

Because there are as many types of Protestants as there are bible interpretations, you won’t find a single unified answer to this. Lutherans, for example, believe in a type of Real Presence, but far short of what Catholics believe. On the opposite end of the spectrum, you have ecclesial communities that don’t have an opinion one way or the other.

The most common evangelical position I hear is that at the last supper Jesus was just kind of acting out his sacrifice using bread and wine to prepare his disciples for his death. Ecclesial groups that hold this view thus celebrate this supper (if they do at all) as a kind of a nice fellowship thing to do which doubles as a teaching experience.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY. So what you’re saying is that overall they don’t believe that at the Last Supper Jesus didn’t really turn the bread and wine into His body and blood.

[quote=kjd3smith]THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY. So what you’re saying is that overall they don’t believe that at the Last Supper Jesus didn’t really turn the bread and wine into His body and blood.
[/quote]

Overall, that is true. Their major objection focuses on the “how” it could be. Same question asked by the unbelieving listeners of Jesus’ original teaching on the Eucharist, as we heard in yesterday’s gospel reading (John 6:52). For a good discussion of this, see the Catholic Answers tract, *Christ in the Eucharist *:
catholic.com/library/Christ_in_the_Eucharist.asp

Thank you - I guess it just blows my mind that they actually limit GOD.

[quote=kjd3smith]THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY. So what you’re saying is that overall they don’t believe that at the Last Supper Jesus didn’t really turn the bread and wine into His body and blood.
[/quote]

Right. I read in one Fundamentalist newsletter (25 years ago) that in this the Catholics take the Bible too literally. Since Jesus didn’t disappear into the bread and wine, the writer said, He obviously didn’t mean “this is My Body” to be taken literally.

But another poster is correct: there are almost as many viewpoints as there are Bible interpretations of the subject.

• Liberian

My Grandpa Hagan used to be a devout Methodist, like everybody else on his side of the family. He got a bible for his 12th birthday, and got up to the Luke 22 when he turned 24 and my Grandma gave brith to my mom. After reading that, he managed to convert alot of his relatives- and keep in mind that they were Hagans, one of the longest running families in the world, he currently keeps in touch with over 50 members- except for his brother, who is now a Methodist minister. Do you know how and why? In Luke 22, Jesus did not say “This is representing my body, and my blood,”. he said “THIS IS MY BODY AND MY BLOOD”. It is not some sort of representative of it, like protestants beleive, it IS His body! Therefore my grandpa beleived that the Roman Catholic church was the true religion, and that is why most Hagans today are roman catholic. Protestants do not beleive it is actually His Body and Blood, they beleive it to be a mere represntative.

So, you’re telling me that Catholics actually READ the Bible and obey it and take it literally?

The Baptists (& other Protestants) take the Bible symbolically?

Whoa, talk about a turn of events!:whacky:

Do the anti-Catholics know this?

many protestants I’ve spoken with about this say that Jesus was not present in the bread and wine at the Last Supper. They say, “He was standing right there, how could he have been present in the bread and wine too?” I guess they’re forgetting one small thing…HE WAS GOD.

Actually, what he said was “Do this in rememberance of me”. This is a memorial of what Jesus suffered on our behalf.

Understand, the last supper was the Passover Sater, in which the unleavened bread is the bread of haste, and the bitter herbs symbolized the years in bondage in Egypt. In the Jewish culture, food has always held special symbolism, and Jesus was a Rabbi.

Therefore, knowing he would be crucified, he directed his deciples to keep this sater in memorium of his love and devotion to us.

[quote=Jo’s_Dad]Actually, what he said was “Do this in rememberance of me”. This is a memorial of what Jesus suffered on our behalf.

Understand, the last supper was the Passover Sater, in which the unleavened bread is the bread of haste, and the bitter herbs symbolized the years in bondage in Egypt. In the Jewish culture, food has always held special symbolism, and Jesus was a Rabbi.

Therefore, knowing he would be crucified, he directed his deciples to keep this sater in memorium of his love and devotion to us.
[/quote]

Jesus also said “This IS my body” and “This IS my blood.” He didn’t say “This is a representation of my body and blood.”

[quote=Malachi4U]So, you’re telling me that Catholics actually READ the Bible and obey it and take it literally?

The Baptists (& other Protestants) take the Bible symbolically?

Whoa, talk about a turn of events!:whacky:

Do the anti-Catholics know this?
[/quote]

:rotfl:

[quote=kjd3smith]Non Catholics practice communion as a commerative practice and do not believe as we do that Jesus is present body, soul and divinity in the Holy Euchrist. Do they think He was truly present in the bread and wine when He first did this at the Last Supper? Why do they think He did it then? Part of me understands how they may be confused because after it ‘is a mystery’ but what a beautiful mystery it is and just another reason why OUR LORD IS GREAT!
[/quote]

Isn’t it amazing how this cannot be accepted (Transubstantiation)

Yet the same people pray to a God they cannot see, prayer is supernatural, spiritual.

We do not see the Host changing from bread to the Body and Blood of Christ, likewise we do not see the God we pray to, we do not see our prayers transend the Heavens, but all Christians believe they do, why not Transubstantiation.

Maybe the words of Jesus might help, " you believe because you have seen, blessed are they that believe and have not seen".

dsanford.com/miraclehost/hostvideo.wmv

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.