Was the Mosaic Law destroyed?

Matthew 5:17 to 20 makes me wondered is the mosaic law destroyed. If Jesus came to fulfill it then why are there bible verse that says that those who follow the law is under a curse.
(Galatians 3:10)
There are other verses that focus on the mosaic law being destroyed. Can anyone give me an explanation about the mosaic law.

1 Like

Learning from Church homilies I know that it was not destroyed. Jesus taught the law of Moses to be respected.
Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words . And my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father’s which sent me. (John 14:23-24)

For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. (1. John 5:3-4)

Jesus said to obey the Laws of God presented through Moses and if He Himself is fulfillment of the Law then the Laws are still standing.

1 Like

Catholic Encyclopedia

Divine Law is that which is enacted by God and made known to man through revelation. We distinguish between the Old Law, contained in the Pentateuch, and the New Law, which was revealed by Jesus Christ and is contained in the New Testament. The Divine Law of the Old Testament, or the Mosaic Law, is commonly divided into civil, ceremonial, and moral precepts.

Christ is the author of the New Law.

The ceremonial laws of Moses were types and figures of the purer, more spiritual, and more efficacious sacrifice and sacraments of the New Law, and when these were instituted the former lost their meaning and value. By the death of Christ on the Cross the New Covenant was sealed, and the Old was abrogated, but until the Gospel had been preached and duly promulgated, out of deference to Jewish prejudices, and out of respect for ordinances, which after all were Divine, those who wished to do so were at liberty to conform to the practices of the Mosaic Law. When the Gospel had been duly promulgated the civil and ceremonial precepts of the Law of Moses became not only useless, but false and superstitious, and thus forbidden.

Slater, T. (1910). Moral Aspect of Divine Law. In The Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09071a.htm

1 Like

It has been fulfilled by Jesus Christ.

If Jesus came to fulfill it then why are there bible verse that says that those who follow the law is under a curse.
(Galatians 3:10)

Because of the curses which are listed in the Old Testament. See
Deuteronomy 28:15

But it shall come to pass, if thou wilt not hearken unto the voice of the Lord thy God, to observe to do all his commandments and his statutes which I command thee this day; that all these curses shall come upon thee, and overtake thee:

There are other verses that focus on the mosaic law being destroyed. Can anyone give me an explanation about the mosaic law.

The Mosaic Law consists of the Ten Commandments and the ordinances. The Mosaic Law was fulfilled by Jesus Christ and the ordinances were “nailed to the cross”. Because Jesus Christ transformed them into the Sacraments which we submit to, today.

The Ten Commandments remain in force. Think of the Ten Commandments as the speed limit sign on the freeway. Say that the speed limit is 65 and you are driving 100. What will happen? You are disobeying the commandment and will be punished with a speeding ticket and a fine.

If we disobey the Commandments, we will be punished.

So, let’s go back to the speed limit. It is 65 and you’re driving 64. You’re obeying the Commandment. This is what the Church calls, being in a state of grace. You are on another level which is called, the Law of the Spirit.

Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23 Meekness, temperance:

against such there is no law.

24 And they that are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

This hopefully will answer your question perfectly:

With regard to Galatians 3:10 Paul is saying that if your righteousness is obtained through keeping of the law, then you will be condemned because you do not keep all of it. In other words, you are a transgressor of the law, and because you are guilty of transgressing the law you are under the curse that goes with violating it. It was Christ who kept the law in your stead, and it was Christ who bore the curse of the law, death on the cross, in your stead. It is by faith in Christ that you are declared righteous before God. This is the hope that you have in Christ.

That being said, as Jesus says in Matthew 5, the law will not pass away. God still has a will for how we are to love God and love our neighbor. Ephesians 2:10 tells us that we continue through God’s grace to do the works that God ordained for us. This is not done for the sake of being declared righteous before God (as Ephesians 2:8-9 demonstrates) but because we have been saved for a purpose.

The Mosaic covenant obtained friendship with God but it could not obtain for you heaven hence, you would still be under the curse of death.

Only the new covenant inaugurated by Jesus could free you from the curse of sin (death) and get you to heaven.

1 Like

Jesus came to fulfill the Law, not to destroy it.

And in this context, what does fulfill even mean? I just get the feeling that the english word is inadequate to express what is meant there.

It was fulfilled and superseded by the New Covenant.

Pope Pius XII Mystici Corporis Christi: “ And first of all, by the death of our Redeemer, the New Testament took the place of the Old Law.

Pope John Paul II end note in Redemptoris Mater: “That is to say, the period marked by the promise made to Abraham and by the Law mediated by Moses has now reached its climax, in the sense that Christ fulfills the divine promise and supersedes the old law.”

Cardinal Ratzinger: “Thus the Sinai [Mosaic] Covenant is indeed superseded”

St. Augustine: " “Instead of the grace of the law which has passed away, we have received the grace of the gospel which is abiding; and instead of the shadows and types of the old dispensation, the truth has come by Jesus Christ. Jeremiah also prophesied thus in God’s name: ‘Behold, the days come, says the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah …’ Observe what the prophet says, not to Gentiles, who had not been partakers in any former covenant, but to the Jewish nation. He who has given them the law by Moses, promises in place of it the New Covenant of the gospel, that they might no longer live in the oldness of the letter, but in the newness of the spirit”

This is answered in Hebrews 9:15-17.

Hebrews 9:15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.
16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.

In other words, Jesus Christ established the New Testament by means of His death.
He died in order to pay for the sins which were committed by the “righteous” Old Testament Jews. This was done to fulfill the promise of eternal inheritance to all who would keep the Commandments. To wit:

Exodus 19:5 Now therefore, if you obey my voice and keep my covenant, you shall be my treasured possession out of all the peoples.

But, in order to fulfill God’s will, God had to die. But since God is eternal, He had to take on a mortal body and die upon the Cross in order to bring about His Will and Testament.

I hope that helps.

The basic difference between the Old and New Covenants is not that the moral law has been abolished (Jesus told us that it wasn’t), or that it no longer needs to be fulfilled as if God no longer cares whether or not man sins, but rather that man needs to enter intimate relationship or communion with God first of all in order to even be capable of authentically fulfilling it. This is the union that Adam dismissed by his disobedience of God, by essentially denying His godhood IOW. By reconciling man with God, Jesus opens the door for this partnership. Without it we’re “under the law”, meaning we attempt to be righteous by our own efforts, as if we shouldn’t need God for that purpose, as if we’re already righteous on our own. That’s a curse because while we’re obligated to obey, we cannot. Man, when the time is ripe, must first of all learn of his need for God, of our abject inability to be who we are created to be without Him. Because, as Jesus tells us, “Apart from Me you can do nothing.” So with the New Covenant we’re “under grace”, we live and obey and fulfill the law “by the Spirit” as He empowers us to fulfill it by love (Rom 13:10). Jesus’s burden is light, no longer a curse.

So it’s a matter of how the law is fulfilled, and there’s only one right way in the end. Meanwhile, both Scripture and the Church reveal that the Law served as a teacher, teaching us that, try as he may, man cannot obey simply by knowing the moral code, the “rules of righteousness”, and trying to obey them, because that would only make him clean on the outside, not on the inside. For that, man must be reconciled with God: forgiven, cleansed, and made a new creation at baptism, in response to faith. God, IOW, must provide man with righteousness; only God can justify man, as He indwells us. So the new Covenant promise of Jer 31:
“I will put my law in their minds
and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people."

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.