Was the New Covenant only for Jews?

A Messianic recently said to me that the NC was established just for the Jews.

I know this is false, but I was wondering if any of you, my bretheren, have any Scripture references for this Judaizer (he/she really is a modern Judaizer…:crying: )

How about “For God so loved THE WORLD”?

The Book of Acts seems quite clear that the New Covenant includes Gentiles, such as Cornelius, the Ethiopian Eunuch and so on. Does your friend have something special in mind?

Matthew 28:17-19

And when they saw him they worshipped him; but some doubted. 18* And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19* Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20* teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, to the close of the age.”

It may be more effective to use some OT scripture.

Genesis 12:1 - 4 Now the LORD said to Abram, “Go forth from your country, And from your relatives And from your father’s house, To the land which I will show you; And I will make you a great nation, And I will bless you, And make your name great; And so you shall be a blessing; And I will bless those who bless you, And the one who curses you I will curse. **And in you all the communities of the earth will be blessed.” **

Then we see David’s monarchy fulfilling God’s promise to Abraham

Psalms 72:17 May his name endure forever; May his name increase as long as the sun shines; And let men bless themselves by him; Let all nations call him blessed.

Why would all the communities of the earth be blessed if the NC was only for Jews?

Don’t forget that the NC (everlasting covenant) is a fulfillment of all the covenants that came before. So, after the Ark is established, God renews His covenant with Israel through an oracle delivered by the prophet Nathan. 1 Chronicles 17:11 - 14 "When your days are fulfilled that you must go to be with your fathers, that I will set up one of your descendants after you, who will be of your sons; and I will establish his kingdom. “He shall build for Me a house, and I will establish his throne forever. “I will be his father and he shall be My son; and I will not take My loving kindness away from him, as I took it from him who was before you. "But I will settle him in My house and in My kingdom forever, and his throne shall be established forever.’””

God’s covenant with David is initially and partially fulfilled with the birth of Solomon. Solomon is the “son” who builds the Lord a house or temple. It is totally fulfilled with Jesus Christ. Jesus satifies/will satisify all the promises contained in the New and Everlasting Covenant. Obviously salvation history is not complete so we look forward to the day Christ returns.

It’s Jesus who is the New Covenant and He calls all nations, Jew and gentile, to recieve the benefit of His Kingdom. So, looking at OT history and the life of Jesus, you end up with a huge discussion. If you want an indepth study of this topic, I suggest you go to this link.

salvationhistory.com/Online/Advanced/advcourse2_home.cfm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.