Was The story of Noah real?

The title is self-explanatory

0 Likes

Like some film titles say: ‘Based on a true story’.

2 Likes

Yes, they say that Enoch was the great-grandfather of Noah. The Book of Enoch chapter 68:1 “And after that my great-grandfather Enoch gave me all the secrets in the book and in the parables which had been given to him, and he put them together for me in the words of the book of the parables.”

Dead Sea Scrolls’ rare account of Noah exhibited for first time

Another srticle: same website as a side article

Incredible new images of baby in the womb could save thousands of newborns

0 Likes

Wouldnt parables be literay though?

0 Likes

Noah was a real person who was righteous and faithful to God.

The story of Noah’s Ark in Genesis is based around a major flood in the ancient world. There are rough equivalents in the Epic of Gilgamesh and in Hinduism.

5 Likes

The common factor here is that flood myths seem most frequent among societies that lived near major rivers. Doubtless to a Bronze Age or earlier culture, having a major flood along a river like, say, the Euphrates, would seem pretty darned apocalyptic. Heck, look at some of the major floods in modern times, and they can be catastrophic.

1 Like

We are not bound to believe that a bronze age man gathered all of the animals on earth into a giant boat while the world was flooded.

I believe that this is an allegory of the Church.

4 Likes

Yes. … it was

0 Likes

… and @buffalo has the YouTube video of the event to prove it! :rofl: :wink:

1 Like

Just a pic :grinning:

1 Like

Did the author(s) of the story intend it to be literally true? I think it’s (like much of the Old Testament) written to convey truth about real people in a legendary way, and to faithfully carry on the story of God’s covenant with Israel. It is a sacred part of salvation history; but it’s not written like the historical books.

The literal interpretation of Genesis is not the ancient interpretation; it’s more modern, Protestant, and fundamentalist.

1 Like

That there was a Noah and a flood, there is no doubt, because Jesus mentioned them. That the flood was regional or global can be debated ad infinitum.

2 Likes

Reminds me of Bishop Sheen when asked by a doubter about Jonah and the fish.
“How do you know he was in the belly of the fish for three days?”
“Well, when I get to heaven, I’ll ask him.”
“What if he’s not in heaven?”
“Then you ask him!”

As to Noah, it is not critical to our faith whether or not he is a historic person. What matters is the teaching on faith and morals handed on by the story.

6 Likes

Saying that Noah existed because Jesus spoke about him is like saying that the owner of the vineyard existed because Jesus related the conversation between the owner and the vine dresser. Or that Jonah existed because Jesus spoke about him.

Whether or not Noah (or Jonah) existed does not change what we see in the story of them - issues of covenant between God and mankind, or prefigurations of the resurrection.

The last glacial period ended about 11,700 years ago. The earliest known inscription in Ancient Hebrew is the Khirbet Qeiyafa Inscription, which is dated somewhere around 11th - 10th century BCE. Given that massive flooding in America from ice age ending occurred about 14,500 years ago (Bonneville Flood) or the Missoula Floods (15,000 to 13,000 years ago), and assuming that the flood of Noah could be relating a similar incident in the Middle East, it is possible that the Flood Story is one handed down through multiple generations for centuries, until it was inserted into the Hebrew Scripture. And given the evidence of a similar story of the Gilgamesh Flood, possibly copied from the Epic of Atrahasis, it is possible that all three relate back to one or more incidents in the Middle East prior to written history; we still believe that Scripture is inspired by the Holy Spirit; nothing requires specifically that a man called Noah (and all the other characters of that story) were specific individuals at a specific time and date.

In short, it is not a matter of faith as to whether or not the story of Noah is an exact “reporter on the scene” detailing of a specific man with that specific name, or id an allegory or other story means of telling a truth; that God and man had (and still have ) a covenant relationship. One’s faith is not at risk if Noah per se did not exist; and if one’s faith is challenged or weakened by that possibility, one needs to review what faith is about and how God over time has revealed himself to us.

3 Likes

Do you think that records were literally made of everything that Jesus said when He said it? And that someone kept those records for decades until they were transcribed?

1 Like

# Why did Lamech think Noah would bring comfort (Genesis 5:29)?

Answer: Many times in Scripture, we see that personal names have meanings that relate to the character of the people who bore them or to the times in which they lived. Noah’s name means “rest” or “consolation” and is related to a Hebrew word meaning “comfort.” Genesis 5:28–29 says, “When Lamech had lived 182 years, he had a son. He named him Noah and said, ‘He will comfort us in the labor and painful toil of our hands caused by the ground the Lord has cursed.’”

So, Lamech named his son Noah. Genesis 5:29 provides the basic idea regarding Lamech’s thought process. He specifically mentions that the ground had been cursed as part of God’s judgment (cf. Genesis 3:17–19). The birth of Noah when Lamech was 182 years old would have provided “comfort” or “rest” from some of the work of subsistence farming. A son would one day be able to join in the labors of farming, giving Lamech some relief from his many years of manual labor.

But Noah would provide more than physical rest. It appears that Noah’s name is also an inspired prediction regarding his life. The word Noah is taken from the Hebrew word for “rest,” nuakh (see 2 Samuel 14:17). Lamech lived in an evil time, before the Flood (Genesis 6:1). Noah’s father predicted that, in contrast to the world’s evil, Noah would represent righteousness and bring rest and peace in the midst of God’s judgment.

Later in Genesis, Noah was indeed used as God’s agent of peace. He was called by God to build an ark that would save himself, seven of his family members, and enough land animals and birds to keep the species alive. The dove used by Noah to help determine if the flood waters had receded would later become known as a symbol of peace. In Genesis 9:12–15 God promised that the earth would never again be covered by water, and the sign of this covenant of peace was a rainbow.

The New Testament affirms Noah’s role as one who brought comfort. Second Peter 2:5 calls Noah a preacher of righteousness. No others are mentioned as believing his message, and no one joined Noah’s family in the ark, but Noah had peace with God. He lived according to God’s ways and obeyed His commands in preparing for the Flood. If anyone had heeded Noah’s preaching, he or she could have found “rest” in the ark along with Noah, the man of rest.

In both a literal and prophetic sense, Noah lived up to his name as one who would bring comfort. To this day, Noah is seen as a man of peace who led people and animals through a time of judgment and into a new world.

2 Likes

continue…

Noah’s life was used as an illustration by Jesus in the Gospels: “Just as it was in the days of Noah, so also will it be in the days of the Son of Man” (Luke 17:26). There is coming a time that will be like Noah’s time when God’s judgment will come upon the earth. The proper response is to be like Noah and obey the Lord’s call for salvation now, while time remains (2 Corinthians 6:2; John 3:16; Acts 4:12).

2 Likes

All the prophets are a foreshadowing as you can read this in the story of Noah. Do I believe the flood took place? Yes, I believe that God had sent Noah to bring comfort and rest. However, I believe that Noah was a foreshadowing of an event as each generation has their righteous person and the purpose that God sent them.

For instance, the seat of Moses, or the judgement seat, 15 Moses answered him, “Because the people come to me to seek God’s will. 16 Whenever they have a dispute, it is brought to me, and I decide between the parties and inform them of God’s decrees and instructions.” (see also (Matt. 23:2-3)

As in Nehemiah was another illustration of a foreshadowing, “19 When evening shadows fell on the gates of Jerusalem before the Sabbath, I ordered the doors to be shut and not opened until the Sabbath was over. I stationed some of my own men at the gates so that no load could be brought in on the Sabbath day. 20 Once or twice the merchants and sellers of all kinds of goods spent the night outside Jerusalem. 21 But I warned them and said, “Why do you spend the night by the wall? If you do this again, I will arrest you.” From that time on they no longer came on the Sabbath. 22 Then I commanded the Levites to purify themselves and go and guard the gates in order to keep the Sabbath day holy.”

### Jesus Clears the Temple Courts - John 2:13-17

( In this account, Jesus and his disciples travel to Jerusalem for Passover, where Jesus expels the merchants and money changers from the Temple, accusing them of turning the Temple into “a den of thieves” through their commercial activities.)

2 Likes

I disagree. By that logic, then there would be no Moses or Abraham. And further down that road, there would be no Jesus or God. Like Descartes said: everything can be doubted except one’s own existence.

2 Likes

Jesus represented all the past prophets. When reading the scriptures each prophet was designated to a specific purpose for being sent. Those passages compare up with the duties on the son.

Ezekiel proclaims as the role of the prophet: to speak for God on behalf of the people. And in Ezekiel’s time, it would be like a watchman looking out for how evil might be creeping into the community, (the example of Nehemiah and Jesus) coming in in maybe not so noticeable ways, and the prophet speaks for God and alerts the community.

In the New Testament, Jesus illustrated - not only from the teaching of the prophets - the continuation that he represented all the “great ancestry” to the Jewish people.

There is a passage out scripture that tells us that Jesus is "coming “with” the clouds of heaven or coming on the clouds of heaven.l” Would this mean that when Jesus returns that he will bring with him the great prophets to judge? All this is relevant to the flood and judgement - the people who were given time to repent and comparing this to the judgement of Ninevah. Is the story of Noah a truth, yes!

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.