Was the "wine" at the time of Jesus different from the modern day "wine"

so what do you guys think? The question is in the thread.

Grape wine is grape wine.

I’d guess there might have been higher alcohol content back then than in today’s mass-produced wine found in supermarkets!

I get a kick when I meet a Christian that insists Jesus drank grape juice instead of wine. In Hebrew, Greek and Aramic they all had words for grape juice.

The pyramids in Egypt were built with beer. They drank beer because the water would make them sick. The ancients never figured out it was the boiling and alcohol that made the water in wine and beer drinkable.

Jews still make very good wine. This is a western Protestant C19th hang-up.
Did Paul say:" Take a little grape juice for…"?

Modern preservation methods, such as Welch’s Grape Juice, hadn’t been invented yet. In the hot, arid climate of the Middle East, any fruit juice would turn to wine or vinegar very quickly, This would be specially so for grape juice.:shrug:

The Jews accused Jesus of being a “wine bibber” At the Cana Wedding, Jesus turned water into wine. In Acts chapter 2 the apostles were accused of being drunk on wine when they spoke in tongues. To this day, wine is considered a beverage of choice to many ethnic groups. As was said, it was some Protestant groups in the 17-19th centuries that had the problem with drinking wine.

Yes it was they didn’t use yeast to ferment the wine. Its alcohol content was much higher than today’s normal wine

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Can we assume it was organic? No pesticides or other vile processes to ruin it?

Thus, between this and the higher alcohol content, perhaps it was fantastically better.

Well, it was probably pressed by people using their bare feet to stamp out the juice. So there may have been some “toe jam” in it. :shrug: ( How’s that for “organic”?)

Exactly. Can you imagine someone at a wedding party saying “You have kept the best grape juice until now?”

It was substantially different.

It was heavier, more full bodied, earthy, persistent undertones with a character of fruit. Best served at room temperature out of stone jars. Pairs nicely with lamb.

Oh, my…:D:D:D

Wine was generally mixed with water.

The primary reason for drinking wine was because much of the water was contaminated with human and animal waste due to poor sanitation. There were no sewer systems. This is why much ale was consumed in medieval Europe. In the ancient world, four parts water was mixed with one part wine - the alcohol in the wine would kill bacteria in the water and prevent disease. The ancients didn’t know about bacteria but found that they did not get sick as often when they added a little wine to their water.

For just as it is harmful to drink wine alone, or, again, to drink water alone, while wine mixed with water is sweet and delicious and enhances one’s enjoyment, so also the style of the story delights the ears of those who read the work. And here will be the end. (2 Maccabees 15:39)

No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent ailments. (1 Timothy 5:23)

Greeks and Romans considered drinking wine full strength to be profane and uncivilized. The first Christians were mocked by the Hellenistic Jews at Pentecost as being uncivilized drunkards.

But others mocking said, “They are filled with new wine.” (Acts 2:13)

“Old wine” was wine that had fermented. New wine was not put into wineskins that had already held wine because the wineskin would have been “stretched to the limit” by fermentation of the wine inside the wineskin.

Behold, my heart is like wine that has no vent;
like new wineskins, it is ready to burst.

(Job 32:19)

Addition of new wine into an old wineskin and further fermentation would have burst the already stretched and brittle wineskin.

-Tim-

No grape juice, it was full bodied wine which had been stamped on by a lot of feet.

I still buy Jewish wine, even though I am now Catholic I still like things of my past, easy to get a bit more expensive, try it yourselves, its a bit like a sherry - sweet- maybe that is why I like it I have a sweet tooth. They also do Grape Juice for people who don’t like wine.

I don’t think the basics of wine making have changed over time. Sure there’s all kinds of gadgets and minerals that people added to improve quality and such, but otherwise, wine is wine. If you find someone who makes their own wine naturally, I doubt the process is any different.

Jewish wine is sweet because of the climate. The quality of wine was poor and it was garnished with just about anything anyone could get their hands on from berries to hot pepper. Any good wine from Israel nowadays is because good grape stock was imported from outside.

Wine could be made from figs, dates and pomegranates as well as grapes.

Naturally fermented wine is usually lower in alcohol. The alcohol content was probably lower in Jesus time than today as sugar and other stimulants for fermentation were not added as they are today.

-Tim-

No. Read your catechism.

The substance of wine is the same now as it was 2000 years ago.

Only at the Consecration does the substance change.

:thumbsup:

It also depends which pressing it is from.

:smiley: Took me a few seconds to get that one.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.