Was there a woman pope?

I have heard it claimed that there was once a woman pope in the Church and I have recently read a brief article relating to the topic. It seems pretty ridiculous to me, but does anyone know the full story of these claims, when they first appeared, and if there is any basis in fact for them?

Thanks!

Phil

I’ve heard this too… I don’t see how it could be true. If the cardinals were being led by the Holy Spirit, then there is no way God would lead them to elect a woman as Pope.

newadvent.org/cathen/08407a.htm

:slight_smile:

There was a thread on this…I think it was in apologetics, one of Jew Man 73’s posts–someone had told him the same thing. You could check it…
The short version is that this is a kind of medieval urban myth. No, there was not a woman pope (Pope Joan). It’s one of those old stories that never seem to go away without coming back.

[quote=Philthy]I have heard it claimed that there was once a woman pope in the Church and I have recently read a brief article relating to the topic. It seems pretty ridiculous to me, but does anyone know the full story of these claims, when they first appeared, and if there is any basis in fact for them?

Thanks!

Phil
[/quote]

Supposedly, one of Pope John’s, I think in the 900s, was a woman masquerading as a man. Supposedly she was exposed when she bore a child. Supposedly, after this the Church instituted a procedure where the pope elect exposed himself to a trusted examiner who, seeing his genitalia, announced, “Habet,” “He has,” meaning, “He has male organs.”

It’s an anti-Catholic smear for which there is absolutely no proof whatsoever.

Years ago, I even saw a segment on “Pope Joan” on The History Channel (one of their “Moments in Time”). They reported it as though it were pretty much fact but gave no support or references at all.

Patrick Madrid devotes an entire chapter to the “Pope Joan” legend in his book *Pope Fiction. *He leaves the entire argument in shreds.

For one thing, she was supposed to have reigned during the 9th century. However, there is no mention of her until the 13th century. Does it seem feasible that there would be 400 years of silence everywhere in Europe about such a scandal? Wouldn’t the enemies of the Church have pounced all over it? Madrid points out that songs would have been written, plays staged, accounts churned out by the dozens . . . instead we have nothing but silence for 400 years.

[quote=BibleReader]Supposedly, one of Pope John’s, I think in the 900s, was a woman masquerading as a man. Supposedly she was exposed when she bore a child. Supposedly, after this the Church instituted a procedure where the pope elect exposed himself to a trusted examiner who, seeing his genitalia, announced, “Habet,” “He has,” meaning, “He has male organs.”
[/quote]

And from this very fact we came to the definition Ministerial cycle. It was by this very ministerial period of a woman pope.
And that’s the truth, so help me. And all the brain-dead have further testified to its veracity. And all the witches of the east (MA) and all the witches of west (CA) can verify it from their former lives.
And now you know the REST of the story.
Now children, for our next fairy-tale-come-true, we will give you the inside scoop on pregnant nuns in underground caves of the ancient convents…and how their babies were eaten by their priestl-fathers. Sounds exciting! So,stay tuned.
And hey,remember that going comatose is not an obstacle to religious fantasy! You can still dream can’t you?

And now our pledge of the membership:
“To keep catholics crosswired in a state of defensive frenzy, to help non-catholics in search for eternal opinion.”

someone earlier posted a link to the newadvent web site about the suppossed popess Joan.

it is worth reading. there have been several people that I know who heard about this and just accepted it and thought it was true, no questions asked.

that tells me that people will believe anything contrary to the Catholic Church if they have a bias against it.

No I can officially confirm Pope Joan to be a rather entertaining false story.

Just like internet-driven urban myths, some medieval myths never go away.

[quote=Libero]No I can officially confirm Pope Joan to be a rather entertaining false story.
[/quote]

KILL-JOY!:crying:

Where do people come up with these stories?

[quote=Kay Cee]Patrick Madrid devotes an entire chapter to the “Pope Joan” legend in his book *Pope Fiction. *He leaves the entire argument in shreds.
[/quote]

This article from Envoy Magazine features excerpts from Pat’s book, including the “Pope Joan” hoax:

envoymagazine.com/backissues/2.2/mar_apr98_coverstory.html

[quote=TNT]And from this very fact we came to the definition Ministerial cycle. It was by this very ministerial period of a woman pope.
And that’s the truth, so help me. And all the brain-dead have further testified to its veracity. And all the witches of the east (MA) and all the witches of west (CA) can verify it from their former lives.
And now you know the REST of the story.
Now children, for our next fairy-tale-come-true, we will give you the inside scoop on pregnant nuns in underground caves of the ancient convents…and how their babies were eaten by their priestl-fathers. Sounds exciting! So,stay tuned.
And hey,remember that going comatose is not an obstacle to religious fantasy! You can still dream can’t you?

And now our pledge of the membership:
“To keep catholics crosswired in a state of defensive frenzy, to help non-catholics in search for eternal opinion.”
[/quote]

No! No! The priests didn’t **eat **the babies! They murdered them with a silver knife that was buried under the altar with the baby! That’s what Catholics mean when they talk about relics in the altar – all those little babies. Sheesh! You don’t know anything about history! :stuck_out_tongue:

KILL-JOY!

too true. :frowning:

Hey everyone-

Thanks for all the info - and entertainment - I knew it couldn’t be true but was also incapable of refuting it…

Phil

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.