Was this a 'good' Confession?

The general confession I made before entering the Church (thanks be to God!) was unfortunately a little unsettling.

Sad to say, I made a bit of a fool out of myself. I made up a huge list, went into way too much detail, cataloged venial sins, and took up too much of the poor priest’s time. At some point, (I wasn’t even mid-way through the list), he started to ask questions and give advice. I wasn’t able to finish confessing some serious sins. In fact, he didn’t want to hear any more from me.

I think I knew I was going into too much detail & was wasting time confessing small stuff. I should have known better.

He gave me absolution, but was this still valid, given the circumstances? Am I safe in receiving the Eucharist?

Thank you and God bless!

Go on a retreat. Reflecting on one’s actions and one’s sins and examining one’s conscience deeply is helpful to achieving a good confession. Sometimes we do not realize that we are sinning, and we make lists based on thing we know are sins, but we left out those we didn’t realize are sins.

Once we make a good examination of conscience, then we can identify our sins and confess them.

The most important part of a good confession for me is having a priest who truly cares. I just had the best confession of my life. It took like 30 minutes, because the priest listened to everything I had to say, and he gave me great and wonderful advice. And its not just general advice, he really tackled each and every sin I confessed and looked to advice me on getting better. So the next part of my advice on a good confession is find a good confessor. And when you find out, stick with him as long as you can!

In your shoe I will go to another priest and make one new confession.
for the rest sins.
Maybe the priest had not time or he has problems with concentration.

Go see another priest as soon as you’re able. If you have mortal sins (only you can determine that along with the help of a priest if needed), you should not receive communion until you confess all of them in kind and number.

For me, confessing is a life long process. Thiers been times when I would recall a sin that happened years earlier that i did’nt confess, I write it down so I’ll remember next time. Priest are pretty busy this time of year. Just go again. I go as offten as I can.
God bless

jesus g

=Pio89;7805554]The general confession I made before entering the Church (thanks be to God!) was unfortunately a little unsettling.

Sad to say, I made a bit of a fool out of myself. I made up a huge list, went into way too much detail, cataloged venial sins, and took up too much of the poor priest’s time. At some point, (I wasn’t even mid-way through the list), he started to ask questions and give advice. I wasn’t able to finish confessing some serious sins. In fact, he didn’t want to hear any more from me.

I think I knew I was going into too much detail & was wasting time confessing small stuff. I should have known better.

He gave me absolution, but was this still valid, given the circumstances? Am I safe in receiving the Eucharist?

Thank you and God bless!

Hi :smiley: Been there and done that!

As to the validity…yes and no. IF the priest when asking for your act of Contritution said something to the specific effect of “your sorry for these and all of your sins” and you ARE!

Then because he cut you off… your safe. BUT… If not; then while lict it would not be valid.

Next time AND EVERY TIME BEGAN WITH YOUR MORE SERIOUS SISN first; THEN IF TIME PERMITS; CONFESS YOUR VENIAL SINS WICH ARE FORGIVEN as a part of every Mass.

In your next confession it would be prudent to go to a different priest [if possible :o] so as not to embarass either you or the priest and explian what happened QUICKLY and then confess AGAIN … ALL of your Serious Sins including those you MISSED but intended to Confess the last time.

Don’t Give up: GREAT ATTITUDE AND Desire :thumbsup:

God Bless you,
Pat

When I joined the Catholic Church we had to set up individual meeting with a priest to hear our confession and talk about any issues or questions we had with the Church. If you did not have a meeting with him to hear your confession call and set up an appointment. That way you will have more time for your confession without “stopping the line”. Remember - number and type of sin. Not each and every sin and its detail. If a preist wants detail he will ask.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.