Was this a masturbating thought?

I have been really stressed, and things have not been going so great for me lately…especially when I feel like I am trying so hard. Anyway, one day I just felt mad about my situation with everything, (family, looking for a job, finding a spouse, etc.)… This might sound weird, but as I was getting ready to take a shower, I was in my room naked, and I had a thought of thinking to touch myself or just the thought of masturbation came to my mind, but it wasn;t like it was appealing to me. I think I thought of it, in the sense of anger at God maybe… since I feel like overall I do the right things or try to do always do the right thing, that maybe it doesn’t matter if I do something bad. I don’t know how to explain it, but I think it probably was anger at God, and I feel bad saying that. Because, even though I’m going through a lot, I am not mad at God and in fact I know I need to start praying and getting closer to Him. Anyway, was this thought a mortal sin???

Resisting temptation - which is what you did - is a good thing! :thumbsup:

Masturbating is a bad thing and is (under normal circumstances) mortally sinful.

Wanting to masturbate (or do any sinful thing) is a result of our fallen nature and is not sinful at all.

Resisting the temptation to sin is Virtuous and builds character.

Remember the old adage: “When in doubt, Confess”. Be careful in seeking advice from the laity…all too often it leads to you just making excuses for yourself. All such questions such as yours need to be discussed with a priest in Confession. If he says it wasn’t a sin, then you win. If he says that it was a sin, you still win because right there you can be absolved for it…with the additional advantage that you are fore warned for the next time.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.