Was this a Mortal Sin?

The other day I was doing some dumb little task that was frustrating me, and I took the Lord’s Name in vain.
I am not in the habit of doing this, it is not one of my normal sins. It came out suddenly during my frustration, I just muttered g-d under my breath, and regretted at the moment it was coming out!
I fully intend to confess this, but in the meantime, do you think I should not receive Holy Communion?
It was not deliberate or intention, it just blurted out in a whisper…

I believe you stated the answer in your post… it was an accident.

I’m also assuming that you mean by taking the Lord’s name in vain you mean saying GD.

I would suggest that while that is not something I do either I’m not sure that is really what the Bible or our Tradition is talking about when it refers to taking the Lord’s name in Vain.

I see the Televangelist on TV with 5 gold rings, multiple houses etc… asking for money for God taking His name in vain… I believe it’s more about making an Oath and breaking it or saying that we are doing something for God when we know our intentions are completely the opposite…

Joe

Thanks Joe, yes it was just GD.
I eradicated that expression from my vocabulary 15 years ago, and have not been tempted to use it since. I must have really been upset for it to come out.

…What does the third commandment say? “Thou shalt not use the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who uses His name in vain.”

What does this commandment principally teach? The third commandment forbids all profaning and abusing of anything whereby God makes Himself known. (Malachi 1:6-8; Lev. 20:3; 19:12; Matthew 5:34-37; Isa. 52:5.)

It is not simply a matter of cursing or using the name God or Jesus vainly in that way. It is true that God’s name is not to be used in that manner. We are not to say “God bless you” frivolously when someone sneezes, or say “Oh my God” when we are excited or ecstatic. Truly, we use His name in vain when we say those kinds of things. But the use of God’s name is hardly restricted just to language.

The commandment shows us how to worship God aright, as God designs the first four commandments in this way. The third commandment is rightly divided into two parts. The first part is the explicit command that we should not take His name in vain. That is obvious. The second part of the command is not so obvious. It is the practical implications of the right use of His name, namely, that we should honor and revere His name every time we use it.

Whoa…it’s sinful to wish that God blesses someone after they sneeze? I always thought saying “Bless you” without God’s name was more offensive.

The Church teaches that “Taking the Lord’s name in vain” refers to using God falsely in an oath.

However, that does not make using the Lord’s name profanely acceptable - that is the sin of blasphemy, and in some cases it is mortal.

It sounds like in your case it was not - all three conditions of mortal sin were not met.

(I did this once myself recently as well - after having gone years without using God’s name in that way. I also did not think it was mortal but did go to Confession at the next opportunity.)

My dear friend

No sin in this case. It’s a big problem though. I think it best to train oneself to never take the Lords name in vain. And it’s a good practise to make 3 quick acts of reparatiion when you hear it happen, mentally. eg. blessed be the name of God. Or Mary, Jesus etc depending on the blasphemy and who was insulted.

God bless and peace to you:thumbsup::slight_smile:

you did see the word “frivolously” right?

I’m not sure if this was a typo, and you meant to say ‘No mortal sin in this case’, but the statement as written is not accurate.

I’m not sure if this was a typo, and you meant to say ‘No mortal sin in this case’, but the statement as written is not accurate.

…some just don’t know how to pick their battles…:smiley:

It’s hard to believe there’d be a battle over something like this.

…It’s hard to believe there’d be a battle over something like this.

Agree 100%:thumbsup:

closed #13

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.