Was this A Mortal Sin

Yesterday I was with my family, and one of them mentioned tot likeing a person. I chimed in that this person used to use a name of a movie character in place of mine and continued to do so after we hadn’t seen eachother for three years. Only one of the people present didn’t know this and that family member would never meet the person in question. In addition, no harm would have been done to the person’s reputation. Did I commit a mortal sin in this instance? I would go to confession just in case, but they won’t be offered at my parish during holy week and I’ll be unable to go at another parish this week.

[quote="C794, post:1, topic:320401"]
Yesterday I was with my family, and one of them mentioned tot likeing a person. I chimed in that this person used to use a name of a movie character in place of mine and continued to do so after we hadn't seen eachother for three years. Only one of the people present didn't know this and that family member would never meet the person in question. In addition, no harm would have been done to the person's reputation. Did I commit a mortal sin in this instance? I would go to confession just in case, but they won't be offered at my parish during holy week and I'll be unable to go at another parish this week.

[/quote]

Are you asking if you committed a mortal sin of detraction? As there was little, or no harm, done to the person I would say no. There is also the fact that you were not conscious of committing a grave sin when you did so. It seems to me you cannot unknowingly commit a mortal sin, given the 3 conditions that must be present.

If no harm could have been done to the person's reputation, it probably wasn't a mortal sin. That being said, confess it anyway, always good to confess sins asap.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.