Was this a mortal sin?

My mom asked me what I was going to major in and I said I would tell her if I get into the program at my university.

If that is a mortal sin, I’m in big trouble…

“Honor thy mother and father” does not mean you have to divulge absolutely everything. If you are under the age of 18, or she is paying for your education - or supporting you financially so you can pursue higher education - I think it would be polite to tell her.

I think it would only be a sin if your masters thesis was devoted to satanic worship - or Freemasons…

Why did you not want to share your plans with your mother?

[quote="Offdoodykcrn, post:2, topic:320828"]
If that is a mortal sin, I'm in big trouble...

"Honor thy mother and father" does not mean you have to divulge absolutely everything. If you are under the age of 18, or she is paying for your education - or supporting you financially so you can pursue higher education - I think it would be polite to tell her.

I think it would only be a sin if your masters thesis was devoted to satanic worship - or Freemasons...

[/quote]

I'm 19, but my parents still support me and are paying for my education.

[quote="fredystairs, post:3, topic:320828"]
Why did you not want to share your plans with your mother?

[/quote]

Too nervous!

I don't usually talk about personal things.

Don’t be silly, of course that isn’t a sin.

To be a mortal sin, you have to KNOW it . . .

But was this even grave matter?

[quote="Zenkai, post:8, topic:320828"]
But was this even grave matter?

[/quote]

No, I would not consider it grave matter. But more importantly, YOU didn't consider it grave matter when you refused her info. For my limited perspective, I don't understand why you won't tell her - it doesn't seem like private or confidential info at all to tell your own mother what you are majoring in. . . . or am I missing something? My parents knew my major and it was no big deal.

[quote="Zenkai, post:4, topic:320828"]
I'm 19, but my parents still support me and are paying for my education.

[/quote]

OK - if they footing the bill for everything, it's not outrageous to suggest your intentions towards a general area (science, business, math, lit, etc).

The real issue isn't about sin, is it? It's about self-determination, becoming independent, knowing who are and what you want out of life.

What is the worst that could happen - by telling your mom you major?
Would she not approve of your choice?
Are you worried about disappointing her if you don't make it?
Are you not entirely certain what you want?

19 yrs old is soooo young. If your folks are supporting you and paying for your education, they probably love you enough to forgive changing your major.

Good Luck!

I have my Confirmation and First Communion tonight. Do I need to confess this beforehand?

No, you don't! It wasn't a sin. At the most, not a helpful way to deal with your mother, but not a sin. and certainly not a mortal one. Remember, God is our loving father.

You are getting things out of proportion. How can putting off giving a straight answer to your mother over your college decision equate with rape and murder?

Try to get a more balanced view of what mortal sin is, otherwise you will repeatedly torture yourself and eventually even get scrupulous and doubt God's mercy.

[quote="paperwight66, post:12, topic:320828"]
No, you don't! It wasn't a sin. At the most, not a helpful way to deal with your mother, but not a sin. and certainly not a mortal one. Remember, God is our loving father.

You are getting things out of proportion. How can putting off giving a straight answer to your mother over your college decision equate with rape and murder?

Try to get a more balanced view of what mortal sin is, otherwise you will repeatedly torture yourself and eventually even get scrupulous and doubt God's mercy.

[/quote]

I'm so scrupulous. :(

I thought it might be a sin because it was keeping a secret from my parents.

You are an adult. You are allowed to keep secrets from your parents.

LIke I said, perhaps it wasn't the best bit of inter-personal management in the world, but it wasn't a sin.

I don't understand why you don't want to tell them, but you have the right not to.

As they, too, have the right not to share everything with you.

[quote="paperwight66, post:14, topic:320828"]
You are an adult. You are allowed to keep secrets from your parents.

LIke I said, perhaps it wasn't the best bit of inter-personal management in the world, but it wasn't a sin.

I don't understand why you don't want to tell them, but you have the right not to.

As they, too, have the right not to share everything with you.

[/quote]

But they support me and pay for my education. And I still live with them Friday night through Sunday.

[quote="Zenkai, post:15, topic:320828"]
But they support me and pay for my education. And I still live with them Friday night through Sunday.

[/quote]

Which is why I said it wasn't a good bit of inter-personal management. But that doesn't make it a sin.

If you are still living with them when you are 40, would you feel you should tell them everything?

Why is it that you are unwilling to say what your major is? Are you worried that they will be upset by it? Perhaps to the point of refusing to pay for more schooling? My older brother spen one semester in college before joining the Marines. It wasn't his idea, so he just took classes that interested him. Ones our dad referred to as "Mickey Mouse classes." Of course, he (my brother) was expected to take out student loans to pay for all of this. So, in his case, I don't see it as being their business. If he had to pay for it himself, then let him take whatever he wants. Especially if he doesn't really want to be there in the first place.

Ok, off my soap box. :o If they do get that upset by it, you can always look into scholorships and grants. Try to keep away from student loans. They are a pain in the rear to deal with later. Even if they don't, at least apply for the Pell Grant if you haven't already.

closed #18

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.