Was This A Serious Sin?

So until recently, I didn’t know that you weren’t supposed to receive the Eucharist in the state of mortal sin.

I went to a retreat once, where the priest at the Mass asked people not to receive the Eucharist if they were in a state of mortal sin. He didn’t explain why and I didn’t really ponder on it too much, nor did I bother to look for any answers.

Recently, I’ve been going to church everyday and every time I go to receive the Eucharist, I find myself wondering if I was supposed to receive it since at the time I was in a state of mortal sin. My gut told me I really shouldn’t, but I didn’t know for sure so I went ahead and received the Eucharist.

I’ve been doing that for pretty much the whole summer until TODAY, I decided to stop being so lazy and look it up and realized to my horror that it WAS a sin.

So…now I feel really horrible and I’m not sure if it was a complete sin or not since there was some reasonable doubt.

Since you didn’t know it was a mortal sin at the time when you did it, I don’t think it was a mortal sin then. Unless it was something you were doing repeatedly without bothering to look it up.

*I would bring the matter to confession…noting the various aspects you mentioned.

Catechism:

1791 This ignorance can often be imputed to personal responsibility. This is the case when a man "takes little trouble to find out what is true and good, or when conscience is by degrees almost blinded through the habit of committing sin."59 In such cases, the person is culpable for the evil he commits.

first i jsut would like to say all sin is **Serious **cause it offends God

I’m curious. How long have you been a Catholic? It seems strange that a Catholic would not know this.

I think that you should bring it up in confession. You used sloth (spiritual laziness) to stay ignorant, that in itself is a capital sin. I think that usually when in a real doubt it is better to refer to a confessor because as you can see sin begets sin.

Get to confession right away, and then receive it worthily and be sorry for your sins.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.