Was this a valid baptism?

A few months ago, I went with my girlfriend to a baptism. One of her friends from college had just had her first baby. When the priest did the baptism, the priest said, “[Kid’s name], I **now ** baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.” The correct, licit formula is simply, “[Kid’s name], I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.”

Now, I’m just about 99.999% sure that this was valid, although illicit. But, I wanted to make sure, since, well, it’s baptism, and of all the sacraments you don’t want to botch, I think this one tops the list.

Again, I assume this is valid, since I’ve heard that some Protestant denominations use “now” in the formula, and we as Catholics accept Protestant baptisms as valid. I’ve also heard that the formula for conditional baptism is, “If you are not baptized, I now baptize you…,” and if that’s the case, then obviously the word “now” wouldn’t impact validity.

However, I just want to be sure, because I’d hate for this kid to grow up invalidly baptized and have no knowledge of it. If anyone can, perhaps, post a link to a reliable website that would say whether or not this is valid, it would be much appreciated.

Yes, you’re being too technical. The important part is that the Trinity is named.

Yep!

No offense, but are you always so obsessive about insignificant things?

Trinitarian Baptism requires the word Baptize or Christen, and all three Persons of the Trinity.

catholic.com/tracts/trinitarian-baptism

Its valid.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.