Was this confession valid?

I had told the priest I was done confessing, and he was giving advice. I then realized I had forgotten to confess some sins on my list (I was nervous; didn’t read the list thoroughly). I thought about bringing them up, but I wasn’t sure if he was about to give absolution. He then told me to say an act of contrition, which I did, and then he gave me absolution. During this entire time, I was debating whether to bring up these sins.

I wasn’t trying to hide the sins, but I was nervous and indecisive. Assuming these sins were indeed mortal, is my confession invalid?

Not for the sins you forgot. You did forget, so it is not a sin that you did not say them, but the sins themselves still should be confessed.

I think you are as valid as the rest of us. Do not be so concern about what sins you had forgotten because in truth none of us at all can ever mentioned all of our sins at any Confession. We probably omit more than you think of. Remember too that you had that list anyway and I am certain the Lord can read just like the rest of us. Yet if you still are bothered by it than the next time you go just mentioned it to the priest as you make your next confession.

Not for the sins you forgot. You did forget, so it is not a sin that you did not say them, but the sins themselves still should be confessed.

The reason I’m unclear on this is because I didn’t simply forget them, I forgot them until the end of confession, and then didn’t bring them up due to indecision. So I could have confessed them, which is what bugs me.

Well I see how your worried. If your in doubt, you can confess not confessing these to be safe next time. Also you said “supposing” they were mortal. If that was hypothetical and this is venial, then its not a sin what you did.

If you are really concerned to the point of losing sleep over this, why not find a church with an early morning or an evening Mass that you can get to. Get to the church about 20 minutes before the Mass is scheduled to start and go into the Sacristy. When the priest arrives to vest up for Mass, ask him to hear your Confession. If you are nervous, you might want to bring a print out of your question from this site.

I’m assuming I should re-do the entire confession, right?

No, what you did say is confessed and forgiven. You just have to say what you did not say earlier.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.