Was this Mortal or Venial?

Hello all, quick question I was hoping to get input on.

I struggle with sins of impurity, and have been working hard to overcome them. After fighting the urge all day, last night I had a brief slip up, only lasting three or four minutes, after which I regained myself and stopped. Nothing physical happened, it was only looking at images.

I recall reading that, when dealing with a sinful addiction, the severity of the sin may be lessened by the fact that I was able to stop myself shortly after starting the act. I was curious if this was true, or if I was misinterpreting what I read.

The reason I'm asking is because I am going to be unable to attend confession this weekend, and want to know if I'll be able to partake of the Eucharist on Sunday.

Thank you for your help!

This sounds like veinial sin to me. I would like to see spiritual evidence of this after the fact however by currently doing penance and attempting to do what is needed to stay away from this sin in the future (such as setting aside your computer, getting a blocker for such sites or getting rid of internet)....this would be stronger evidence that you really fell under SERVERE trial that puts LOTS of pressure on your will........it would show where your will really lies right now.

So I would put this under veinal provided what acts did you take after falling into the sin (even though you were able to pull yourself out)......I would be able to know where your will really lies by you trying to protect your soul after the sin. You know how weak you are....and someone who truly willed not to fall into this sin would change the environment around them to make sure they didn't do this again.

[quote="MichaelHowling, post:2, topic:317601"]
This sounds like veinial sin to me. I would like to see spiritual evidence of this after the fact however by currently doing penance and attempting to do what is needed to stay away from this sin in the future (such as setting aside your computer, getting a blocker for such sites or getting rid of internet)....this would be stronger evidence that you really fell under SERVERE trial that puts LOTS of pressure on your will........it would show where your will really lies right now.

[/quote]

I've actually done most of that >> This was a brief lapse while on my tablet. I picked it up to read some manga and did this instead '-- I've already installed filters on my main desktop, and am looking for one for the tablet. I say the rosary almost daily, and have just recently added the 3 O'clock divine mercy chaplet to my routine. I am also attempting to add 30 minutes of Bible reading to my nightly routine, though sadly I haven't had much luck with that one. I have also deleted my collection, save for one or two straggling pieces I'm still hunting down.

I'm serious about getting past this sin, I hate it!

So I would put this under veinal provided what acts did you take after falling into the sin (even though you were able to pull yourself out)......I would be able to know where your will really lies by you trying to protect your soul after the sin. You know how weak you are....and someone who truly willed not to fall into this sin would change the environment around them to make sure they didn't do this again.

I prayed for strength and said an act of contrition. I am trying to change my environment, but basically everything I do in life except praying involves my computer, so It'd definitely difficult.

Thank you for you stance on it.

Best thing – address such with your confessor.

Wonderful.

I personally would consider this venial. You know your walk with God and this sin and how servere the pull was to fall into this if only a couple minutes. I suspect it's venial because I understand how strong a temptation can be.....to the point where your will is deffinatley hindered and because how yu were able to pull away during (which can be even harder to stop). Lastly , how you immediatley ran from the sin and tried to protect yourself ......this tells me, after you came to your senses your TRUE will shone through!

Sounds venial to me, although the next time you go to confession.....deffinatley bring this up because you are actively fighting against this sin.

I don't think this is dangerous enough to keep you from taking Holy Communion in my personal opinion.

For it to be mortal 3 things must be present:

1 . Serverity (grave matter)
2. Full use of the will

3. Full Knowledge

May I also suggest:

"Winning the battle for sexual purity" by Christopher West.

It's awsome!

[quote="MichaelHowling, post:6, topic:317601"]
May I also suggest:

"Winning the battle for sexual purity" by Christopher West.

It's awsome!

[/quote]

I'll look it up, thank you.

Yes. We here on the forum can only speculate. God knows your heart and the best thing to do is get to a confessor. It doesn’t sound like a “crisis” per se, but the enemy can make much of this if it is allowed to fester. You seem to have a handle on this and I would suggest if it is still n your heart that you should not receive the Eucharist, God would greatly appreciate it more if you abstained. Having the ability to keep yourself from receiving unworthily is virtuous.

I don’t quite understand what you mean by “still in your heart.” Could you elaborate?

[quote="ProdglArchitect, post:9, topic:317601"]
I don't quite understand what you mean by "still in your heart." Could you elaborate?

[/quote]

Well what I mean is it might be venial it might be mortal. We here on the forum can only speculate. I don't know if it is scrupulosity. But I do know from you asking this question here that you have a feeling you might have just put something between you and God, I am just using "still in your heart" as a figure of speak in that respect. Because it does seem you have a good grasp of dealing with this at the moment.

[quote="SonSearcher, post:10, topic:317601"]
Well what I mean is it might be venial it might be mortal. We here on the forum can only speculate. I don't know if it is scrupulosity. But I do know from you asking this question here that you have a feeling you might have just put something between you and God, I am just using "still in your heart" as a figure of speak in that respect. Because it does seem you have a good grasp of dealing with this at the moment.

[/quote]

Ah, ok. Thank you for your response!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.