Was this my imagination?

I had my conversion experience at my Confirmation when I was 16. It was the best day of my life, and my life has been forever changed because of if. Beforehand, I was ready to leave the Church, but then I did a complete 180 after the Holy Spirit helped me that day.

So, here’s the part that I’m wondering about:

Before my Confirmation (at home), I had smelled the smell of fresh flowers, even though there weren’t any around. I strongly associate the smell of flowers with my late grandmother’s wake and funeral. Usually that smell makes me sad, but this time the smell just made me remember her. I took note of this because my grandmother was the reason I was even ever Baptized in the first place. - Confirmation would never have happened without her.

So… I just made the shocking realization that I was Confirmed on the same day as my grandmother’s wake (where the flowers were), only 7 years later.

Is this just a coincidence? Could the smell of flowers have been my imagination? Could this mean my grandmother is in Heaven? Am I just being superstitious?

It could be your imagination; or it could be a small gift from God.

I am inclined to believe the latter.

It means that deep down you love your Grandmother, your heart wanted to subtly remind you of this. Your heart is your greatest gift from God.

[quote="runningdude, post:3, topic:335624"]
It means that deep down you love your Grandmother, your heart wanted to subtly remind you of this. Your heart is your greatest gift from God.

[/quote]

doen'st the bible say that the heart is evil and deceitful though?

Yes and no, but in this case not relevant.

It is impossible for us to say “yes” or “no”, but God have been helping me many times with miracles nobody would belive if I wrote them here, so all I can say is that either way you are truly blessed.

It is well known that many people who seek the prayers of certain saints, such as St. Terese of Lisieux, will often smell roses or receive flowers unexpectedly as a small sign that God has heard their prayer. I’m sure that your grandmother was pleased to see you receive the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, and perhaps God allowed her to send a sign of her love.

I agree! :thumbsup:

Odd thing was, I don’t think of her on a day to day basis, and at the time I didn’t realize it was the anniversary of her wake. So it was kind of random.

Awesome!!!

I am sure it was a sign from god. Gods warm, loving arm welcoming you.

My God’s name is coincidence. Praise God for these little beautiful gifts He gives us!

I don’t think you can know for sure when your Grandmother gets into heaven until you’re there too. Best to play it safe on stuff like that. After all, the souls in Purgatory are praying to God for us too. I think that everyone after death can hear us, even though we can’t hear them. So it’s a little awkward to think that we can have certainty of our messages getting to them, though it’s dangerous to expect or seek out any message back.

To say that the smell (or the memory of the smell) was a gift of God would not be superstitious. But just because there isn’t any certainty doesn’t mean you can’t take something good away from it! Seeing God work in your life, in both ordinary things and special gifts, seems to me to be what reality is. :twocents:

[quote="Lapey, post:11, topic:335624"]
My God's name is coincidence. Praise God for these little beautiful gifts He gives us!

[/quote]

Amen!

A couple years ago I brought some flowers home for my wife. It was the first time in years as it´s not a usual gift of mine but I had bought them from a poor girl that was selling them in the street and I was moved. She thanked me and said “I knew these were coming today”. She had been praying a novena (only know the spanish term, sorry) to Therese in secret and in that particular day she was due to receive roses. She even had it on paper and showed me. I was quite perplexed :smiley:

[quote="canis73, post:14, topic:335624"]
A couple years ago I brought some flowers home for my wife. It was the first time in years as it´s not a usual gift of mine but I had bought them from a poor girl that was selling them in the street and I was moved. She thanked me and said "I knew these were coming today". She had been praying a novena (only know the spanish term, sorry) to Therese in secret and in that particular day she was due to receive roses. She even had it on paper and showed me. I was quite perplexed :D

[/quote]

Cooooool!!!!!

Or exceedingly not random.

As John Paul 2 said, there are no coincidences with God.

I believe the Lord blessed you with this! Beautiful and sounds like something real to me :slight_smile:
mlz

"Most Sacred Heart of Jesushttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8b/Batoni_sacred_heart.jpg

:smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.