Was this wrong...

And if so, how wrong?

I went to Confession the other day. I was going to ask the priest about an action I had done, and whether it was sinful or not. I had just begun confessing my other sins first, when he interrupted me and said he could not understand what I was saying, so I repeated in a louder voice my sins, and was about to ask about the action when he again said he couldn’t hear me. I again repeated my sins. He asked about one in particular, I answered, and then he proceded to give me my penance and asked me to make the act of contrition. I was unsure what to do, because I wanted to ask if the action was sinful (possibly grave) but it was kind of complex and the priest already was having a hard time understanding me. So I made the act of contrition and left. Now I’m not sure whether that is considered holding something back in confession. Was the confession still valid?

It is my understanding that if your intention was to confess a particular sin and the priest, for whatever reason, does not allow for it then all of your sins are forgiven. There is no such thing as a partial confession. The absolution is either valid or not and if it is then all of your sins are forgiven. You know that you were trying to have him understand your sins and that you were going to discuss and confess that one sin in particular. So you’re good. Next time you might find a different confessor and then discuss your situation and mention that sin even though you are forgiven.

One last thing is if you are not sure whether or not an action was even a sin would indicate that it was not a mortal sin for you at the time. You must know that an action is grave and then completely consent to the action before it can be considered a mortal sin. Peace… teachccd

In my post above I am assuming that the priest prayed the words of absolution over you before you left. If he didn’t then the confession would not be valid regardless.

I would go to confession again to a different priest to get absolution for this particular offense. If you made a face to face confession, there probably would not be any hearing difficulties.

I believe the confession is valid. He said the absolution. For your peace of mind, you could go to another priest, but I don’t think it’s necessary.

I would probably go again, to a different priest… especially if it was still weigh on my mind. I think you may be considered absolved, but it may help to go and confess it so you know for your peace of mind!

Sure, you don’t accidentely commit a mortal sin. You must be sorry for all of your sins before you enter the confessional. The priest is there to give you absolution for all of your sins, those you admit to or those you forgot too. Everything is forgiven and you are fresh as a new born baby, now the penance is to remind you of your mistakes and for a new habit of virtue. The confessional isn’t the best place to ask questions. Make an appointment to discuss your problem, but if you have any doubt, it is not your sin.
On my knees before the great multitude of heavenly witnesses I offer myself, soul and body, to You, Eternal Spirit of God. I adore the brightness of Your purity, the unerring keenness of Your justice and the might of Your love. You are the Strength and Light of my soul. In You I live and move and am. I desire never to grieve You by unfaithfulness to grace and I pray with all my heart to be kept from the smallest sin against You. Mercifully guard my every thought and grant that I may always watch for Your light and listen to Your voice and follow Your gracious inspirations. I cling to You and give myself to You and ask You by Your compassion to watch over me in my weakness. Holding the pierced Feet of Jesus and looking at His Five Wounds and trusting in His Precious Blood and adoring his opened Side and stricken Heart, I implore You, Adorable Spirit, Helper of my infirmity , so to keep me in Your grace that I may never sin against You. Give me grace, O Holy Ghost, Spirit of the Father and the Son to say to You always and everywhere, “Speak, Lord, for Your servant heareth.” Amen.

God doesn’t expect the impossible, and sounds like for you to ask advice was as near as makes no nevermind to impossible!

Advice about your sin, while useful, is not an essential part of the sacrament. I’ve been to confessors who’ve literally said nothing other than to give me a penance and absolve me. Far from ideal, but a valid confession and absolution, nonetheless.

Doesn’t matter whether you were unsure of that particular sin, you confessed it and it was forgiven whether it was mortal or not.

If you’re still unsure about it - and it’s a recurring sin for you - then find another priest and ask his advice about it. This can be done outside the confessional.

I hear what thecross and LilyM are saying… I think that’s more what I was trying to get at in my post. They are correct, isn’t necessary to have to go confess it again, but if you feel you need some counseling about the sin or advice how to avoid that sin again, perhaps you can schedule an appointment to talk to a priest. Doesn’t have to be in the confessional, but it could be very beneficial for help on how to avoid the sin in the future.

Yes I think so, He gave you absolution, didnt he & You said an act of contrition right, It`s Good then

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.