Washed my rosary beads!

I wasn’t sure where to post this:

I was washing my sheets today and my blessed rosary ring (which I keep under my pillow when I pray it at night…I don’t have a night stand) accidently got washed along with my sheets.

What should I do? Does it need to be re-blessed?

Thanks!

:confused: Why would it need to be “re-blessed”? (Did it originally get a “non-washable” blessing??) :smiley:

[quote="redredsox, post:1, topic:224620"]
Does it need to be re-blessed?

[/quote]

No, you can't "wash off" a blessing.

I wasn't sure where to post this:

I was washing my sheets today and my blessed rosary ring (which I keep under my pillow when I pray it at night..I don't have a night stand) accidently got washed along with my sheets.

Thanks!

[/quote]

no, it needs to be checked for breakage and weak links and repaired if necessary. YOu can and should wash your rosary every so often since it is something your handle every day. but with gentler methods

You can wash any item blessed, it will not demish the spiritual blessing that is put upon it.

I have a similar question. My rosary had very thin wire and it broke almost every time I prayed with it. So I took it apart and reassembled it with all the original parts except for the little jumprings and the eyepins. Do I need to have it re-blessed?

No, reassembling the rosary, or even removing broken links in order to repair it has no effect on the blessing bestowed on the rosary.

5 stars just for making me laugh :)

I wasn't sure where to post this:

I was washing my sheets today and my blessed rosary ring (which I keep under my pillow when I pray it at night..I don't have a night stand) accidently got washed along with my sheets.

Thanks!

[/quote]

i did the exact same thing but with a beaded cord rosary :rotfl:
the cord took quite a while to dry..but it was fine and i still use it!!!:D

Next time, you’ll know to check for its whereabouts when you wash bed linens, but I don’t see how what you did is worse than leaving a rosary in a coat for a year or letting it wiggle to the back of a drawer. Maybe you just need to find a place that it gets to live when there aren’t sheets on the bed.

Altar linens are laundered all of the time. If a blessed item needs to be retired from use, then it needs to be destroyed beyond recognition before disposal. Otherwise, it is still a sacramental, and doesn’t need to be blessed again after an ill-advised accidental adventure. That treatment is reserved for altars or churches that have been willfully desecrated–even that is more a recognition of the willful sacrilege the item has suffered, rather than a “re-blessing” in the sense of the item’s blessing having been “lost”–and for rosaries that were so lost that no one can remember if they’ve been blessed at all, that kind of thing.

If blessings could be washed away, the baptized would not be able to shower. :D

[quote="PennyinCanada, post:11, topic:224620"]

[/quote]

:clapping::yup::rotfl:

Post of the day!!!! At least!

LOL

I was given a set of rosary beads in a pretty plastic case for my first Holy Communion. Mum sent me over to the Priest to get them blessed. When I got back to her, she said, "Now don't drop them."

I thought that if I dropped them, the blessing would fall off.:p

[quote="admonsta, post:13, topic:224620"]
I was given a set of rosary beads in a pretty plastic case for my first Holy Communion. Mum sent me over to the Priest to get them blessed. When I got back to her, she said, "Now don't drop them."

I thought that if I dropped them, the blessing would fall off.:p

[/quote]

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Yeah that's an "unclear on the concept" moment...LOL

[quote="PennyinCanada, post:11, topic:224620"]

[/quote]

:clapping: Brilliant post

Whoops!

If your rosary survived a trip through a washing machine, that’s one durable rosary! No, the blessing doesn’t wash away.

If it didn’t survive the trip, here’s a link to getting it fixed. And maybe get a rosary box of some sort for it to live in to avoid future laundry malfunctions! Apparently, the Sisters fixed a rosary that had been run over and partially eaten by a vacuum cleaner! I sent mine to them to have a specific medal attached, and they also reattached the crucifix and the centerpiece with attachments they call “bows.” Very durable now!

sistersofcarmel.com/rosary-repair.php

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.