Washing Car on Sunday

I could wash my car during the week but my mother is quite keen on having me wash it asap. Would washing it on sunday be a sin?

No.

Why do you think it might be?

If anyone is paid for the process you could consider it work… therefore the washing of a car on the day of rest could be considered a sin… however, you could wash it the night before and not have a problem… if you grandmother is so strict about the when of the wash… perhaps she could take the duty upon herself…

It’s not an objectively wrong act. Whether it’s a sin or not is something perhaps only you can decide.

Of course not.

Why would getting paid make it a sin?

My boys mow meighbors’ lawns during the season or shovel snow, if necessary, all for pay, on Sundays.

Being paid for a job, rather than volunteering or taking upon oneself the duty implies a contract, and therefore work… and the restriction is against work upon the day of rest… hence the restriction upon being paid.

Can you specify what exact restriction you’re referring to? Thanks.

Most of the restrictions on the sabbath day… which is Sunday for Catholics and Saturday for Jews… come only from the Jewish faith… These restrictions are set forth in the Talmud and considering Jesus was a Jew… are the restrictions that he was brought up under…

Leviticus 23:3 commands the Jews to “do no manner of work” on the Sabbath, whereas Leviticus 23:7 requires them to “do no manner of servile work” on the festivals. The general interpretation of the latter is that work can be done on the festivals if it contributes to the enjoyment of the festival and could not have been done beforehand. Thus baking bread or grinding fresh coffee is allowed on the festivals, but not on the Sabbath.

Under the new covenant the old covenant (that of the Jews) was destroyed

The new covenant is prophecised in Jeremiah:

“Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day [that] I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD: But this [shall be] the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.” Jeremiah 31:31-34

Under Jesus, the old covenant is destroyed… this is not to say that there is no worth in a moral civilization but that these laws should be internalized rather than have a written framework… spirit of the law over the letter…

“You have heard that the law of Moses says, ‘Do not murder. If you commit murder, you are subject to judgment.’ But I say, if you are angry with someone, you are subject to judgment! If you call someone an idiot, you are in danger of being brought before the high council. And if you curse someone, you are in danger of the fires of hell.” Matthew 5:21-22

I’m going to move on from here in opinion not quotes…

The idea that the old covenant was destroyed merely entailed the concept that only the Jews were to be saved… that they were the chosen of God… Under the new covenant ALL PEOPLE are to be saved through Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior…

The SPIRIT of the Law supersedes the LETTER of the Law…

The Beatitudes and the Golden Rule encompass not only the Ten Commandments but every aspect of one’s life and faith…

for example: Hate not unless you wish to be hated, murder not unless you wish to be murdered, honor your father and mother if you wish to be honored as a father or a mother… and so on…

Although the Ten Commandments as a whole (and such things as restricting work on the sabbath) have been ended… perhaps we should mind the idea that to keep holy our sabbath and only to do things that are necessary in order to enjoy that most spiritual of days… perhaps washing our car is not one of these necessary things…

I don’t think so, see Matthew 5:17-19

wait, the sabbath day is the same for Jews and Christians. sunday is not a sabbath day for Christians but the day of the Resurrection. the reason being that Christians know that God rested on the 7th day which is Saturday and not Sunday. i don’t recall there anything being a re-assignment of sabbath to be on Sunday for Christians nor was there any requirement to perform the sabbath observances by the Jews on Sunday for Christians

It is sinful to do unnecessary servile work on a Sunday as
it goes against the third commandment.

Washing a car is considered servile work.

It is sinful to do unnecessary servile work on a Sunday as
it goes against the third commandment.

Baltimore Catechism #3 Lesson 32
"Q. 1252. What is forbidden by the third Commandment?

A. The third Commandment forbids all unnecessary servile work and whatever else may hinder the due observance of the Lord’s day."

"Q. 1253. What are servile works?

A. Servile works are those which require labor rather of body than of mind."

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.