washing of feet - how did it go?

I was pleasently suprised for the second year in a row!
All men chosen for the washing of the feet.

How did it go at your Church?

All men - was at a monastery for men! :smiley:

Ours was a mix - our Mass tonight was TREMENDOUS! :slight_smile:

3 men 8 women, it was overwhelming, and beautiful and…I have no words!

Twelve men (Knights of Columbus associated with the parish).

First time I’d ever made it (well, I’ve only been Catholic since '98), and very glad I did. Oldest son served at altar. Church was as full as if it were a Sunday morning (other than Easter).

We had the tag-team arrangement going on in our parish. There were several “foot-washing” stations, as it were, arranged in the main aisle: a chair, a basin and pitcher of water, and some towels.

Each priest (we have three) and the deacon each washed one person’s feet. Then that person washed the next person’s feet. And then THAT person… you get the idea.

This went on for several minutes. Our priests spent most of the time on the altar watching the proceedings.

No one was “chosen”; anyone could participate. Mostly women, from what I could see… and one four-year-old boy.

I suppose the intent was to “express” the idea of “service” among the brethren. The whole “alter Christus” and apostle idea didn’t quite shine through.

I was trying to reconcile the action of the Mass as a whole with my Magnificat (Holy Week Edition), and found the whole thing rather frustrating.

The more I learn about the Mass, the GIRM, and the liturgy in general, the more frustrated I become.

I attend (assist at) Mass every day in this parish, and I’m starting to like the weekday Masses better than the Sunday Masses. It seems that any time we go beyond the basics, it’s necessary to make people feel “included.”

You were included when Christ died on the Cross. That should be enough.

12 men!

At my parish everyone was invited to come up with someone they knew and to wash each other’s feet, or have one of the two priests wash their feet. It was not limited in number or to men only. I didn’t participate, but that’s just because I’m not comfortable with people touching a part of my body that I normally have covered-up (unless that person is my husband). I thought it was a beautiful service, and many did come forward and participate in that part of the Mass.

Scout :tiphat:

Our parish omitted the “Washing of the Feet” rite. It is optional.

It was beautiful. We had RCIA people, mix of genders, sponsors, catachumens and candidates.

Ours was evenly divided between men and women.

5 washing stations, Priest, Deacon, Sister, woman Sacrastin, other woman.

Washed both male and female, young and old. One foot only. Probably about 70 people.

I did participate in the Deacon’s line. It was a longer line and I walked past the very short line at the woman Sacrastin.

My priest is usually good about following the rubrics, but we had some women get their feet washed. :nope: But then again, we had all male altar servers! :thumbsup:

12 men and I was one of them :thumbsup:

We had 5 Priests concelebrating and the main Priest washed our feet.

Yours in the Spirit

Pious :slight_smile:

[quote=Psalm45:9]My priest is usually good about following the rubrics, but we had some women get their feet washed.
[/quote]

Just out of curiousity, where is this particular rubric defined, anyway?

Ours was a mix of men and women and children - even an infant on her father’s lap.

Our Archbishop did the washing.

Also - this was one of the most moving experiences of my life. I’ve never been to a Holy Thursday Mass.

I’m leaving work early today to participate in the Solemn Good Friday Service.

I hope everyone is as moved by these events because of Who we are honoring.

=)
Fiz

This was my first experience at a Holy Thursday mass. I believe it was probably about 8 men…I didn’t count, exactly. Three teenage boys, and the rest were older men, including either one or two from RCIA.

Does your priest usually kiss the feet of the person he is washing? I didn’t know this happened, and my priest washed their feet, dried them, and then kissed their feet. I’m not sure if this is expected normally at washing of the feet (although I’m aware Jesus kissed their feet), but it was a powerful thing. I GREATLY enjoyed it.

:clapping:

Each year our priest washes and kisses the feet of the catechumens and candidates who will be received into the church on Saturday - 6 men and 1 woman this year. There are a lot of welled-up eyes as he walks to each person where they are sitting with a basin and pitcher of water and washes, dries and then kisses their feet. It’s very moving and humbling.

[quote=Timidity]Just out of curiousity, where is this particular rubric defined, anyway?
[/quote]

The Roman Missal states: “men are chosen (viri selecti)” The Congregation for Divine Worship has affirmed the liturgical requirement that only the feet of men be washed at the Holy Thursday liturgical rite.

See here: Washing of Feet on Holy Thursday

[quote=AZGrams]Ours was evenly divided between men and women.
[/quote]

Same in my church. All seemed to be people that serve all year long in some capacity.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.