Washing of the feet, or hands?

While at the last supper mass tonight at my local parish, I had picked up the paper with the readings of the mass and how it was going to progress. I noticed in the part where I am used to seeing washing of the feet, was replaced by washing of the hands, and everyone in the parish was invited to come up and wash their hands in a bowl, and dry the hands of the person that was behind them and the parish priest only washed the hands of one person, then went into the sacristy for a while then came back once this procession was nearly finished. Now my mum was really upset at this, she has been used to 12 men going up and having their feet washed all her life. I didn’t go up to participate in this ritual as I felt this was really a departure from the gospel and I didn’t feel comfortable with it, it felt like the theology of this particular practice had been ripped out of the mass. I am Just curious if I perhaps over reacted and maybe i’m just being scrupulous about change and this probably wasn’t something to be concerned about?

They did this at my church last year - I also thought that it had lost the significance in doing it this way. It was impossible to 'opt out' as we all went in a kind of 'follow my leader' from pew to pew and there really was no opportunity to stay sitting. And it was just my luck that the elderly man in front of me hadn't listened to the instructions and walked off before washing my hands so I had to wash my own and then the lady behind me! So I had lovely clean hands but there was no other point to the proceeding!

Anyway I must say that this is one of the reasons I would like to go back to my old parish, even just for 'high days and holy days' as my current church is way to modern and progressive and it just seems to have lost a lot of the sacred.

[quote="murraymuzz, post:1, topic:320569"]
in the part where I am used to seeing washing of the feet, was replaced by washing of the hands, and everyone in the parish was invited to come up and wash their hands in a bowl

[/quote]

Not exactly the image I'd want to call to mind immediately before Good Friday. ;)

I felt this was really a departure from the gospel

[/quote]

Oh, it's in the gospel (see above), it's just not a good association. :D

While at the last supper mass tonight at my local parish, I had picked up the paper with the readings of the mass and how it was going to progress. I noticed in the part where I am used to seeing washing of the feet, was replaced by washing of the hands, and everyone in the parish was invited to come up and wash their hands in a bowl, and dry the hands of the person that was behind them and the parish priest only washed the hands of one person

[/quote]

[quote="yorkshiregirl, post:2, topic:320569"]
They did this at my church last year

[/quote]

What did I just read :eek:

Please, I beg you...report this to the bishop!!! Just send an email to the Archdiocese or something! This is one major liturgical abuse we are witnessing. Major!

You don't need to be polemic. Just write that in X Parish the rite of the washing of feet has been replaced with a washing of the hands where everyone can wash their hands and the priest only washes the hand of one person. Period. Let him then say: yep, that's fine, I allowed it. Or "what? This is nonsense."

washing of the hands...miserere nobis, Domine...

I would strongly recommend following this protocol.

it is organised different each year it feels in our church and although am Anglican, it does seem largely upto the priest and at one time yes the priest asked/selected 12 people for the foot washing. Out of all 25 years I have been going I am almost proud to say I never had it done yet. I carefully refrain from saying that to newish priest at this stage in the day in case he suggests it tonight in some way. Most of the time I haven't simply because of being in the choir, we are usually singing at that time and I prefer to sing.

I wonder how many more years I manage not to even be approached to have my foot washed. This year the priest has put a list at the back of the church and I can avoid that easily as to me that is not properly being asked. But I am seriously wondering if I get to get through life without this done for me. I am okay about my feet etc. Just that it the same people always doing it and I bet none of them have realised I have never and haven't missed one Maundy Thursday whilst I have been going to church. ( I had a literal few year out and didn't go then but in all the 25 years I have been going I not missed one) But have managed never to be asked because am the last one they think off...:thumbsup: Wonder how many more years I can keep up the record

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.