Washington Post Makes Humiliating Correction After Citing Satire Site Clickhole

I wouldn’t call this fake nes from the WaPo (although it COULD have been. I don’t think it was). And I am glad they corrected it. Credit there.

But . . .What in the world is happening to America’s mainstream news media outlets!?

Washington Post Makes Humiliating Correction After Citing Satire Site Clickhole

The Washington Post corrected an article by Meagan Flynn which sourced a post from satirical website ClickHole following mockery online.

The article, which reported on attempts to push Green Day’s
song “American Idiot” into the British charts
ahead of President Trump’s arrival . . .

Emphasis mine.

The problem is that it seems 90% of news is actually news outlets regurgitating articles from other news outlets with little fact checking or investigation.

I don’t quite get why this correction is called “humiliating.” The meaning of “American Idiot” as described by the satire website plays no role in the story. This can be seen by reading the corrected WaPo article. They acknowledged the correction, but clearly the story did not depend on that side note. Yes, it is embarrassing to be caught mistaking a satire website for the real thing, but I think Meagan Flynn would have been much more careful in her citation if the citation was central to the story.

As it is, the story is about a social media campaign by the British people to make the song “American Idiot” top the charts in honor of the Trump visit. That is the story. It is a true story. It does not depend at all on what the satire site said about the song referring to George W. Bush.

Of course we know why Breitbart chose to call this a “humiliating correction.” They hate the Washington Post, just like they hate all mainstream media. They take great pleasure it making a big deal our of a nothing-burger in order to denigrate WaPo.

Trump Derangement Syndrome has significantly lowered their journalistic integrity, or J IQ.

Because Breitbart would like to deflect from the story - as grass roots effort in the UK to identify Trump as the American idiot.

LeafByNiggle . . .

They take great pleasure it making a big deal our of a nothing-burger in order to denigrate WaPo.

Leaf. I would have been disappointed in you if you DIDN’T say this is a “nothing-burger”.

dvdjs . . .

Because Breitbart would like to deflect from the story - as grass roots effort in the UK to identify Trump as the American idiot.

Or it wants to show the slipshod standards that pass for journalism at WaPo. Esp. when there is a chance for a “dig” at President Trump.

Next week for The Washington Post?

An appeal to “The Onion”?

And if so, you will be there to defend that too as long as other elements are OK in your opinion.

They do have a habit of interjecting emotion labels into stories. It sets a tone for how to interpret a story, especially for those that don’t check out the source of the story.

Once upon a time, it was who, what, when, where and how.

Now it is pure emotion.

No longer news … now it’s all soap opera.

Yes And sadly you will see that habit here in thread titles.

Well, it was humiliating how the Wapo was punked by a satire site.
Too eager to spin, resulting in fake news.

Seemingly all too eager to post your own spin, you miss the boat. The erroneous reference, from some time ago, mitigated the embarrassment to Trump.

That was convoluted, even for you.

Keep on trucking, deflect, deflect, spin.
Then repeat.

Sorry if you did’t get it. I could rephrase if you still need some help.

The deflection of course was all Bietbart’s
Instead of the story about the emergent popularity of “American Idiot”, let’s make this about a corrected error in the WaPo.

Did BB issue the retraction?

deflect, deflect, spin, and repeat - dvdjs

The story was right on.

(More manufactured attacks on Trump AND
more weak jounalism by the so-called trustworthy unbiased mainstream media)

It is YOU dvdjs who are “deflecting”.

dvdjs . . .

Instead of the story about . . . let’s make this about a corrected error in the WaPo.

No why do you ask?

Yep, that is the deflection.

To readers of this thread.

The “corrected error” of WaPo is STILL “manufactured” attacks against President Trump.

Someone might say, “Well it is the ‘truth’”!

So what? It is still a MANUFACTURED attack.

It is true that President Trump gets two scoops of ice cream too.

But it was a MANUFACTURED attack when the “media” covered it in a negative sense (if I recall correctly CNN spent 2 or 3 days on this “story”) and made a “story” out of it.

The liberals ate it up.

Likewise President Trump’s handshake style. In a sense true. In another sense MANUFACTURED.

President Trump enjoying Diet Coke? Yep. CNN had a “special” segment on THAT too complete with negative connotations.

MANUFACTURED.

This began IMMEDIATELY in the Trump Presidency.

Within hours the mainstream media was attempting to manipulate you, the viewer, by carping about President Trump going out to a restaurant with his family to dinner and DARE not notify the press first.

These things are MANUFACTURED “news”.

Just like the Washington Post story that cited a proverbial “The Onion” story to build on an already MANUFACTURED “story” about people in Europe who do the same thing some in America do–publicity stunts to attack our President.

And a “corrected” MANUFACTURED story is still . . . . well . . . MANUFACTURED.

As I said. I wouldn’t call it FAKE NEWS.

But I wouldn’t object if anyone else called the Washington Post story Fake News either.

dvdjs (commenting on the) . . .

mitigated the embarrassment to Trump.

That’s the part you just don’t get dvdjs.

Anyone would be embarrased by these constant attacks (President Trump has feelings too).

Yet he puts it aside (sometimes he “hits back” – anyone would), but he keeps focusing on America first.

The Breitbart story was right on.

The WaPo appealed to a proverbial “The Onion” to prop-up an already failing manufactured “story”. And THAT manufactured “story” unfortunately displaced real news in the WaPo.

Consumers of news are seeing through these manipulative tactics more and more all the time.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.