Wasn't intelligent design promoted by atheists?

Weren’t most astrophysicists who came up with the modern idea of intelligent design, atheists.

For example, Einstein was an atheist, (probably because of his rampant sexual immorality). But through his studies he came to believe in some outside intelligent source, which designed the universe.

Weren’t most astrophysicists also atheists or agnostics, who yet believed in intelligent design.

Thus, how can people say that modern intelligent design is not a scientific theory, but one that comes from religion?

Now I agree that the Church has always taught intelligent design.

But, modern intelligent design did not come through the Church, but through scientific study. Why are some always trying to confuse this issue?

You don’t understand what “intelligent design” is. It has nothing to do with Einstein. It’s a theory about the origins of life on earth, period. It claims that certain features of living organisms are irreducibly complex and so could not have evolved through the process postulated by Darwin and his successors. Rather, these features must have been designed by some intelligent being.

I wouldn’t call Einstein an atheist. More of a Deist, I think. And since plenty of theists of all sorts are sexually immoral, I don’t think Einstein’s morals are relevant to the question of his beliefs.

Edwin

From what I read, the modern version of intelligent design was started by astrophysicists’ to explain the design of the universe. Through their studies, these brilliant men could see that there was a certain order in the universe, that it was fined tuned. Robert Dicke was one of the first to notice this about the 1960’s
The phrase “anthropic principle” was coined by the theoretical astrophysicist Brandon Carter 1n 1973.

Later the points they brought up led other astrophysicists to determine that the universe was designed and not something that developed by chance. This was the beginning of the modern idea of intelligent design.

Thus, it was started by scientists and promoted by scientists, not by fundamentalists and not by those trying to refute Darwinism.

I wouldn’t call Einstein an atheist. More of a Deist, I think. And since plenty of theists of all sorts are sexually immoral, I don’t think Einstein’s morals are relevant to the question of his beliefs.
Edwin

Einstein became an atheist in his teen years, if I remember correctly. Later through scientific studies, he had to admit a designer of the universe. But he always resisted identifying this designer with the God of the Jews and Christians. Again, this was probably due to his sexual immorality.

There is no atheist who accepts all the teachings of Christianity. The reason they are atheists is because they don’t want to accept all that God taught. Thus, God must not exist.

You’re just restating your original confusion. “Intelligent Design” as used today refers to a specific biological theory. I suggest that you read some books or articles about it. You are simply declaring that two unrelated things are related because you want them to be.

Edwin

If you like to listen rather than read, you can download an excellent (and free) talk by Dr. Don Bierle (PhD in Biology) entitled: A Biologist Asks, “Where’s the Evidence for God?”

at the following link:

maclaurin.org/mp3_search.php?keyword=Bierle

He gives scientific proof that God exists, and he talks about intelligent design, among other things. I find Dr. Bierle very logical, very clear, very convincing, and an excellent speaker.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.