WATCH: 9-Year-Old Boy Asks Buttigieg For Advice On Coming Out As Gay

Would a 9-year old even know about asking about his own “sexual orientation” and coming out as gay? Some people question if this could be a staged event.

“Would you help me telling the world that I’m gay, too? I want to be brave like you,” the question read.

Buttigieg recalled the difficulty of his own coming out story and applauded the boy for revealing his identity before thousands of strangers.

“I don’t think you need a lot of advice for me on bravery. You seem pretty strong to me. It took me a long time to tell even my best friend that I was gay, let alone to go out there and tell the world, and to see you willing to come to terms with who you are in a room full of a thousand people, thousands of people you’ve never met, that’s really something,” said Buttigieg.

I mean, I have thought in the past, he seems like a nice enough guy, if one were to meet him on the street or something but this, I’ve got to wonder about. Some of his policy stances too, are too extreme for me.

1 Like

The name of a popular, always-crowded, 24-hr diner at the edge of my college campus back in the dark ages of the 50s, said it all: (The) Barf ‘n’ Gag.

2 Likes

Most 9 year old boys I know still think girls have cooties.
And somehow we are to believe this one is mature and wise enough to know his sexuality.

I am not convinced.

9 Likes

I was shocked too that a nine year old thinks he is gay? Wow, isn’t this too young or am I too old to know better? :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Did you think you were straight at that age?

4 Likes

I wouldn’t have even understood the question…

3 Likes

The thought never crossed my mind cause I never experienced being in the presence of a “gay” person…didn’t even know the meaning…was just too busy playing… :nerd_face:

2 Likes

i didn’t have a sexual preference at 9 years old. i was busy trying to throw a curveball and catch fish.

5 Likes

I certainly did; in fact I was sure of it.

I wouldn’t have referred to myself with the word “straight” at the time.

It’s not as if I “chose” to be “straight” when I was 12 years old, or 15 years old.

3 Likes

Though I wouldn’t have been able to express it at the time, in retrospect I was “straight” at 9 years old.

Most gay people will tell you that they knew they were different from an early age.

4 Likes

Sigh…how things change…who can remember this old song by Gene Autry…South of the Border…“for it was fiesta…and we were so gay”…or this old western…“The Gay Caballero”…I’ll never see the Cisco Kid as a gun tottin’ hero in the same light as way back then…sigh

2 Likes

You think that’s annoying, Marvel comics deliberately made one of their Western characters gay some years back, just it seems for the sake of it. Worse yet it was a very a stereotypical portrayal. I’d have no problem with a gay character from that era but they just went way over the top with it and it seemed pointless.

There are a few TV programs here in the US that make the same leap into the same pointless scenario…out of nowhere someone will come out as gay… or a gay character will be introduced into the series…why?..has nothing to do with the story line…it just seems like the producers have an agenda to push…The Walking Dead…nothing would suggest a couple of lesbians in that pretty gruesome series…but…sure enough…for what reason.

Me too. So I’m sure some gay people realise themselves to be gay at that age.

1 Like

Maybe, when I was a 9-year-old boy, I wasn’t interested in 9-year-old girls.

But I thought high school girls were really cool.

So I at least knew I had some type of opposite-sex attraction.

Oh my goodness, only nine years old That’s so young! It hurts me to see children losing their innocence so much. When I was nine, I had never even heard of the LGBT community.

2 Likes

Isn’t asking how to come out at a widely reported event itself coming out?

2 Likes

but they don’t ‘come out’ at a Presidential campaign event.

this was staged.

7 Likes

And had John Severin draw it. First time round.

I suppose I knew I was straight at the age of 7. I got sent to the principal’s office for kissing a girl on the cheek when our teacher walked out of the room for a moment.

Poor girl was horrified at first, but got over it in a couple of days.

Not a sex drive thing at all. I suppose I just thought she was cute.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.