Watchdogs unite against Comedy Central's "JC"

WATCHDOG A-TEAM FORMS GROUP TO OPPOSE COMEDY CENTRAL'S JC
Read Story. The new association is called CARB and it has nothing to do with the food police. Instead the Coalition Against Religious Bigotry is concerned with the menu being offered on your cable box. Their first target: JC the animated (so-called) comedy currently in the development phase at Comedy Central that follows the adventures of Jesus in New York City as he tries to escape the shadow of his "powerful but apathetic father.

This space has already noted the obvious (and, for Comedy Central, frankly embarrassing) hypocrisy of banning depictions of Mohammed (basically out of fear for their lives) while acting as brave soldiers in the crusade for comedic freedom when it comes to mocking Christianity. Christians (to their credit) tend to react with boycotts not bombs.
I'm not against an advertiser boycott of shows that go out of their way to offend and I applaud people of different faiths coming together to denounce all religious bigotry (even if it's not specifically directed at their particular faith) but I do think we should be cautious about giving show's like this more attention than they deserve. TV is an ego-driven business and perpetrators of dreck tend to get off on the attention driven by controversy -- while too often garnering praise for their "edgy irreverence" or whatever by reviewers in the mainstream media.
I guess I'd kind of like to see a group like CARB organize a "buycott" for advertisers of programs that portray religious faith in a positive light. Or how about organizing to find sponsors for positive films like Florence Nightingale, a strongly pro-faith biopic that aired on the BBC but has not received wide distribution in the U.S.? People of faith should unite to support movies and TV programming they like and not just to oppose what they don't.

examiner.com/x-9063-Faith--Media-Examiner~y2010m6d2-Watchdogs-unite-against-Comedy-Centrals-JC-Plus-FCC-urged-to-monitor-media-hate-speech

see, Comedy Central doesn't want to air depictions of Mohammed, but has no problem offending Christians

here's the message they want to send out:
If you belong to a religion that has radicalized groups that terrorize and kill people, we'll respect you. but if you belong to a religion where members are peace loving and form charitable institutions that helps a great majority of people in the world, we'll make fun of your God

:shrug:

bigotry at its finest

They must also fear the Buddists since they didn’t make a cartoon about Budda.

I agree that it's hypocritical for Comedy Central to censor depictions of Mohammed while going ahead with production of JC. What I don't want is for them to cancel JC (at least not before the first season airs, cancellation dude to poor ratings is another matter). I would like them to air JC, and then air episode 201 of South Park without censorship, and maybe follow it with a rerun of the Super Best Friends episode for good measure.

[quote="j1akey, post:3, topic:200432"]
They must also fear the Buddists since they didn't make a cartoon about Budda.

[/quote]

...I think Buddha snorting coke repeatedly in episode 200 counts.

Yeah I was being sarcastic :) Also forgot about him showing up in that episode.

Either way this is pretty much a policy decision by just about every TV station in the world right now. The shows that get this sort of thing cencored is the doing of the network executives, not the creators of the show.

Lets also be realistic about something. Islam isnt a very funny subject to much of anyone right now because all it does is invoke memories of bombs dropping and people dieing. Pretty much every other religion on the planet is fair game though and when your big boy on the block like christianity then it just makes the easiest target.

Everything is fair game these days. Everything gets made fun of. I've started to see alot of posts about shows like South Park or Family Guy making fun of christians but on a pretty much weekly basis they also make fun of fat people, ugly people, cripples, midgets, jews, black people, white trash and just about anything else under the sun.

The difference is no one is getting murdered for making fun of anything on TV except Islam. The people that create these things may be willing to spit in the face of extremism but the networks aren't about to open themselves up to that kind of liability.

i disagree. Christianity was a target even when they were a small faith in the Roman Empire

I agree that there double standard is wrong, but i don't think it is fair to propagate the assumption that Islam as a whole is a terrorist organization. Only a tiny fraction of Muslims are extremist terrorists. There are extremist Christians out there, even Christian terrorist groups, but you wouldn't want anyone to go around saying that all Christians are terrorists...

[quote="j1akey, post:6, topic:200432"]

Lets also be realistic about something. Islam isnt a very funny subject to much of anyone right now because all it does is invoke memories of bombs dropping and people dieing. Pretty much every other religion on the planet is fair game though and when your big boy on the block like christianity then it just makes the easiest target.
quote]

What do you mean there's no comic content in islam?

They could depict muslims with huge bumps on their foreheads as they slam their foreheads against the floor 5 times a day

They could make fun of their burkas or whatever they're called

They could make fun of their modesty of the face yet dress their body's in different styles

They could make fun the perversions

I have to disagree.. there's tons to laugh about other than their violence, and even then, some shows have no qualms about making fun of that part of their religion either.

[/quote]

[quote="GrahamAPhone, post:8, topic:200432"]
I agree that there double standard is wrong, but i don't think it is fair to propagate the assumption that Islam as a whole is a terrorist organization. Only a tiny fraction of Muslims are extremist terrorists. There are extremist Christians out there, even Christian terrorist groups, but you wouldn't want anyone to go around saying that all Christians are terrorists...

[/quote]

if you are referring to my statement, i never said Islam as a whole is a terrorist organization

this is what i said:

If you belong to a religion that has radicalized groups that terrorize and kill people...

[quote="Loboto-Me, post:9, topic:200432"]

being Canadians, we both know about the TV show, "Little Mosque on the Prairie" :D
[/quote]

Choy, Little Mosque on The Prairie was the first thing I thought of :p

I've never watched it purposely, only as a stop-gap during commercials or "just passing by" so I don't know what it's really about other than sitcom type of show (for muslims???)

yeah, i've never watched it but i laughed at the bus stop ads when they were going to introduce a new character, a Catholic Priest :D

but i bet its done in good taste and is respectful because i haven't heard anything negative about the show

[quote="choy, post:2, topic:200432"]
see, Comedy Central doesn't want to air depictions of Mohammed, but has no problem offending Christians.

[/quote]

Yes. i know why. It is because Muslims are strong in their faith and reject any attempt to defame Mohammed. This is unlike Catholics who feel no shame at all on going to PG-13 or R rated movies where the Holy Name of Our Lord is used blashemously and sacriligeously. In fact, there is a Roman Catholic priest, Father A. Greeley, who wrties popular novels where the name of God is used profanely, and although he does not explicitly use Our Lord's Name exactly, Father Greeley likes to have people in his novels use the expletive "Jaysus" . Now if Catholics and Catholic priests don't care one iota about the use of the Holy Name of Our Divine Savior in movies or in novels, well then, it is only natural to expect Hollywood and cable broadcasters to push the limit as far as they can.

[quote="sidbrown, post:14, topic:200432"]
Yes. i know why. It is because Muslims are strong in their faith and reject any attempt to defame Mohammed.

[/quote]

Hmmm.... I suspect it has more to do with the fact that Muslims are less than 1% of the US population. Mocking minorities is largely out of fashion, and usually attracts strong protests from many quarters.

Christianity, on the other hand, constitutes about 76% of the US population. So it is a bigger and more influential target, making it ripe for mocking.

Christians, by and large, don't care because they know that such humor doesn't threaten them. And this wouldn't necessarily be the case with religious minorities.

I'm not defending the JC program. I don't like the idea of mocking other peoples religious beliefs. And aside from The Daily Show, with Jon Stewart and the Colbert Report, I think Comedy Central is pretty much trash TV.

[quote="Dale_M, post:15, topic:200432"]
Hmmm.... I suspect it has more to do with the fact that Muslims are less than 1% of the US population. Mocking minorities is largely out of fashion, and usually attracts strong protests from many quarters.

Christianity, on the other hand, constitutes about 76% of the US population. So it is a bigger and more influential target, making it ripe for mocking.

Christians, by and large, don't care because they know that such humor doesn't threaten them. And this wouldn't necessarily be the case with religious minorities.

I'm not defending the JC program. I don't like the idea of mocking other peoples religious beliefs. And aside from The Daily Show, with Jon Stewart and the Colbert Report, I think Comedy Central is pretty much trash TV.

[/quote]

Islam is growing rather rapidly around the world, and I think that the number of adherents to Islam exceeds the number of Catholics world wide. Not too far from our neighborhood here in the USA, there have been three new mosques already built in the last few years.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.