Watching Rev. Wright [Fr. Z]

Rev. Wright is speaking at the NAACP meeting in Detriot.

He is an engaging speaker, though not great or profound. I also wasn’t terrible thrilled by his anti-Catholic comments, but… so what’s new, really. Lana caprina… if that isn’t to European a reference. I also wasn’t very enthusiastic of his notion that there should be differing standards for students. If this addresses differing way of learning, fine. But somewhere along the lines the bottom line of learning stuff has to come together.

Rev. Wrights basic idea, which which he wound up, here is that Black people and European descendant do thing, think, feel, etc., is different, but one is not superior to the other. It’s a right brain, left brain thing. I wonder. But… okay.

And then he comes to his main, concluding point …

Along with the theme of the meeting, that Change is Gonna Come, people are going to, must learn to, work to, treat each other differently.

Great!

However, he made this speech while making fun of, mocking, white people. I find that odd.

Full entry…

[Please remember not to refer to political candidates in your replies -Mod]

If he wasn’t on TV, who would know who he is or care? Would a serious minded person, spend any time reading an article or book written by the guy?

Rev. Wright’s name never registered with me, until the 2008 controversy. But apparently he has been around for a long time, and has a following. According to the Wikipedia article his former church has 10,000 members and “Wright has been a professor at Chicago Theological Seminary, Garrett Evangelical Theological Seminary and other educational institutions. Wright has served on the Board of Trustees of Virginia Union University, Chicago Theological Seminary and City Colleges of Chicago. He has also served on the Board Directors of Evangelical Health Systems, the Black Theology Project, the Center for New Horizons and the Malcom X School of Nursing, and on boards and committees of other religious and civic organization.”

Since Fr. Z posted about Rev. Wright’s speech to the NAACP, I searched for the transcript. Here it is:
cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/04/28/wright.transcript/

It’s too bad his 15 minutes of fame is not up, there would are probably a number of much better religious examples. He sullys any legitimate points of his by his outrageousness.

Well, The Progressive magazine thinks he’s right on:

Watching Jeremiah Wright’s speech to the National Press Club Monday morning was both cathartic and alarming.
Cathartic because, after weeks of the endlessly repeated soundbites from his controversial sermons, which have been used to tar his former , Wright got to speak up for himself. He spoke plainly about racism, his own leftwing political point of view, and what he called, wryly, "this unknown phenomenon of the black church."
Much of what Wright said was absolutely true–yet too hot for white America, for the National Press Club, and for a mainstream U.S.

Even paranoids have enemies, as they say. Given our history it’s hardly surprising that African-Americans suspect AIDS and the crack cocaine epidemic were deliberately inflicted on them. Certainly the “justice” system seems designed to incarcerate as many black men as possible.

Baloney. The reason more blacks are incarcerated is that more of them choose to break the law.

Nothing happens in a vacuum. Poverty plays a major role in crime and people of color are far more likely to live in poverty than whites. They are also more likely to be arrested and convicted. See the below from the Orange County Public Defenders Office regarding this subject:

%between%
pubdef.ocgov.com/poverty.htm

*There is good reason to fear that minority men are severely at risk in the criminal justice system. 71% of all “3 strike” offenders in California prisons are African Americans or Latino Americans. What is worse, these men are all serving 25 to life sentences. Unbelievably, many of these men are serving these life sentences for petty theft and minor drug offenses. Offenses such as these are common among the poor. So common in fact that minority people suffer imprisonment wildly disproportional to their numbers in the general population.

For example, while previous studies have shown that African Americans and white Americans use drugs at about the same rate, African Americans are charged at nearly five times the rate of whites, and in “3 strikes” cases at 17 times the rates of whites in Los Angeles.

Alex Schiraldi, Director of the Center for Juvenile and Criminal Justice made this astute and somewhat caustic observation about the disproportionate prosecution of African Americans and other minorities for drug use:

“If you sent the police into white neighborhoods with the same concentration, you would draw a much different conclusion”…“I am not accusing judges or District Attorneys of being Ku Klux Klan members…I am talking about a subtler form of institutional racism. And the difference to me is that if four in 10 young white men were under the control of the criminal justice system, we could not be passing “three strikes” laws or building more prisons, we would be funding education, jobs and drug treatment.”

Minorities are treated differently in the courts. They are viewed with suspicion, they are held in custody longer, they are presumed guilty, their defense is poorly funded compared to the prosecution, and they are often treated abusively by the people who are charged with enforcing our laws.

In this same survey, lawyers were more than twice as likely as judges to agree with statements that minority lawyers are often treated as second-class professionals by judges; that judges tend to favor the prosecutor over the public defender in cases involving minority defendants, and that judges and prosecutors are members of an “old boy” network that excludes minorities.

Even though we are the most affluent country in the world, we continue to commit a greater proportion of our citizens to prison than any other civilized country. The vast majority of these people are poor. *

:frowning:

Wow, I finally got to listen to the “GD America” Palm Sunday sermon. In full context, I have to say Wow, at least I could give the benefit of the doubt before hand. I’ll say he does bring up some justifiable points. On the other hand, it doesn’t take much to shift it into a really bad course.

He takes the whole idea of Palm Sunday, and completely shifts it to the political realm. Which I guess that may be ok, you can just general topic to general topic, but for Palm Sunday I would think it a better idea to tie in more ideas, than just the problems of government.

As far as the problems of the government, to just highlight a scathing review of it is a half truth. The government does a lot of good things, bad things, things it should do, and things it ought not do. I may have a problem with our governments stance on abortion, on the other hand if I just want to deconstruct the whole legal system, then I’m probably in a worse position.

He may call himself a prophet, but usually a prophet in the OT was prophetic to people who didn’t want to hear it. The prophets didn’t play to their audience. I don’t know what put a flaming coal in his mouth, it seems he may not have a lock on correct interpretation.

Wow bob why are you on here right now. Should’nt you be at a klan meeting?

For your information, although I have lived in the south all my life, I have never even seen a Klansman, much less been to a meeting.

If your way of discussing something is name-calling, you should read the rules of this forum before posting any more. What you posted is beyond insulting.

Poverty is not an excuse for stealing cars for joy rides, shooting one another in gang wars, and a host of other crimes not related to filling a need (food, clothing, shelter, medical care). I grew up poor and have never been arrested for anything. My paternal grandparents were poorer yet and were never arrested for anything either. Most of their fifteen kids turned out just fine, although two did not. Poverty alone does not explain criminal activity.

Anybody can cite a bunch of statistics showing a relationship between two things. Establishing a causal relationship is quite a bit more difficult and I don’t see where it’s been done here.

Indeed,
Look how many black athletes get rich yet continue to behave exactly the same way they otherwise would have, despite the theory that “if we just give them money, they would quit killing each other and become decent, law abiding citizens”. The point is that their behavior has little to do with their poverty; it is the fatuous ideas of cultural Leftists like Wright et al. that keep them firmly planted in their miserable state. For if they believe that if basic morals are just the product of an evil, oppressive western culture, and should be rejected, then what are they left with? Nihilism. And this is what they now have.

Furthermore, the good reverend doesn’t give his own culture much credit at all by saying any of those things he said about the differences between Euro and African cultures. He’s essentially saying that his own people are incapable of learning or intelligence; that the’re just a bunch of primitives incapable of learning or culture. Isn’t this what white racists used to say about blacks? Why is it that if Wright says them he gets nothing but accolades from the “progressives”, yet if any white person were to say that he would be pilloried? I don’t get it.

You can add me in column alongside Bob. Before you start about KKK meetings, you should realize that the KKK hates Catholics as much as they hate blacks. I have seen bumper stickers on cars with a portrait of Nathan Bedford Forrest and the logo - Ride with the Best. Bob and I both live in areas where our neighbors are not particularly happy to be living alongside Catholics even if they happen to be white.

A black racist is no better than a white racist and Rev. Wright is a racist. The quarterback of LSU’s football team got sacked today because he refused to follow specific orders. Is that racist because he is black or because he was given multiple chances and blew them off?

My little Irish self wanted to get up and let Rev. Wright have it right between the eyes (metaphorically, of course). The Irish were dumped on the levees of New Orleans in 1847 and left to die in the brutal summer heat. You did hear about those famine ships, didn’t you? You come to NO and I can take you to the site of a mass burial of 5,000 Irishmen who died digging the canals of NO because it was work not fit for a slave to do. You think about that when you start the KKK thing.

I am the first one of my entire family to get a degree. The very first one - and my brother and sister followed me as did my older cousin a few years later. You do the math - 1847 to 1976. I’m not rich to this day - I’m still essentially living hand to mouth. For Rev. Wright to treat me as if I was an oppressor is an affront to my father who worked two jobs to make sure that his kids got a Catholic education. And guess what? There are any number of black Catholic families who felt the same way as my father just as much as there are Vietnamese families here as well who feel the same and are doing the same for their kids. (And, hey, the Vietnamese families are prospering big time).

The quarterback of LSU had a choice. He chose to get involved in that which he did. He was disciplined and given an opportunity to redeem himself. He chose to test positive to drugs. He got canned. That is not racism - it is personal choice. Rev. Wright would suggest he was a victim. He stood a very real chance of making far more than this product of Irish immigrants could ever imagine in his wildest dreams.

I too heard quite a bit of Wrights speech today on Glenn Beck, and all I can say is that he is just as much a bigot and racist as anyone in this country. I told my wife that if I was at Mass and heard anything like in the priests’ homily, I would get up and walk out, and never come back. Evidently, some people did, and didn’t have the sense to leave. I get so tired of this “oh poor me, you owe me attitude” in this country. End of rant.

Shall I be embarrassed on your behalf?

Well, they have had a variety of social programs inflicted upon them, the net effect of which was to destroy black families. The destruction of intact families inevitably leads to more crime and more incarceration. Such misguided efforts as ‘3 strikes & your out’ laws also didn’t help. Poor laws and misguided social legislation have unintended consequences.

Wright is a bigot and, along with the likes of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, profits from the racial tension he helps create. Blacks who can believe that the government created the AIDS virus have no trouble at all believing that the government blew up the dikes in New Orleans and didn’t come to the aid of the city because it is predominately black.

In the meantime, as you say, black families and black society have been devastated by a combination of foolish government policies and shills (black and white) who have convinced blacks that they are not responsible for their own fate and that whatever bad happens to them is someone else’s fault.

• Fifty percent of all black children conceived are aborted.
  • Two thirds of all black children live in a single parent home.
  • Concerned about poverty: median income for single mother households - $18K; median income for married couples - $57K.
  • Nearly 60% of children living with a single mother were near the poverty line.
  • Blacks are 12% of the population and make up 37% of the total welfare pool.
  • Boys living in fatherless homes are 2-3 times more likely to
    – get involved in crime
    – drop out of school
    – get divorced
  • Girls living in a fatherless home are 2-3 times more likely to:
    – get pregnant
    – get divorced
  • Almost 70% of young men in prison grew up without fathers.

This is the kind of thing Wright should be saying because until this tragedy is reversed there is no program of any kind that can make a difference.

divorcereform.org/black.html

mercytree.org/mercytree/index.cfm?fuseaction=content.home&grp=3&sub=71

Ender

Yes. If only Bill Cosby had the same media following as Sharpton and Jackson (or Wright.)

I watched Bill Moyers interview of Rev Wright. He was polite, articulate and presented an entirely different person, than the one we saw in the short clip, that the news played over and over again.

After watching him on Bill Moyers, I was impressed with this compassionate man, and came away thinking how mislead I was.

Then, the following week Rev Wright speaks at the National Press Club, and comes across as a complete buffoon.

I had to step back and ask, who the heck is this guy? He’s not the same guy that I just heard on Bill Moyers.

Then, listening to a talk show host, who I usually don’t agree with, say that there is some question on the person who hired Rev Wright to speak at the Press Club. Apparently, there’s some question on whether this was politically set up.

So who knows?

Jim

No matter who booked Wright, once he got behind the microphones he was in charge. I think Wright was himself at the Press Club and was himself with Moyer’s. But with Moyer’s he was talking to a different audience than he was at the Press Club. IMHO, he told Moyer’s what he knew Moyer’s and white PBS viewers wanted to hear. He told his followers who were at the Press Club what they wanted to hear. He simply tailored the message to the correct audience.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.