Water of Life

14But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

When we talk about communion or the eucharist there is the forever argument of whether it is really Christ’s body or not between catholics and protestants…

My question is… if Jesus could be talking in metaphores in the above statement then why could it not be that He was talking in metaphores about the body and blood?

Not looking for arguments just simple, concise, and CALM answers… No arguing here please…

Sorry to go off topic already but I thought the thread was about whiskey (uisce beatha-water of life):smiley:

That actually is quite a good point, I’ll have to come back with a more educated (and on topic) response.

There’s a lot of good information on the Real Presence at Scripture Catholic re the Eucharist.

My favorite proof that Jesus was speaking literally about our having to eat His Body and drink His Blood is John 6:66, “As a result of this, many (of) his disciples returned to their former way of life and no longer accompanied him.” If Jesus had been speaking metaphorically, none of his disciples would have left Him.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.