Way of the Master

I’ve been seeing this tv program for about a month now called Way of the Master. Its Curtis Camerson (the oldest son from the show Growing Pains) and some other middle aged guy. They talk about the gospels, repenting, saving other christians, being reborn, false conversions in the church. Then they go in the streets and pull the same routine. Have you ever lied? Have you heard stolen? Have you ever lusted for another in your heart? Then they call the person a lying stealing…cant remember the last part.

Has anyone else seen this? I see it on TLN and acouple other stations that air Benny hinn

god bless

They sound like a couple of self-righteous prigs to me. :rolleyes:

I think, on reflection, that I ought to flesh out my comment. When I was in an Assemblies of God Bible college we went to chapel for a service every day. At one of these a group of students, with the permission of the some of the leaders of the college, got up and announced they knew all those students who weren’t truly “spiritual.” They actually had a list of names in their hands! They proceeded to tell us we had to repent and that they expected all those on the list (as if we knew we were on it) to come up to the front and pray for forgiveness and to get right with the Lord. Needless to say, no one moved and the whole thing failed miserably. The leadership of the college heard from several irate parents and had to make a public apology to the whole student body. What Cameron and this other fellow are doing is the same sort of shenanigans, aimed at entrapping people and making them admit to sins, as if they had the right to judge anyone or point out the supposed sins of their neighbors. Utter nonsense and trash!

lol
I forgot to include the site, maybe by seeing their faces it will trigger some memory.

Im pretty sure their not catholic. Sometimes I just watch to see if they name a denomination, even though its obvious they probably claim to be ‘non-denom’.

wayofthemaster.com/

Ok I just surfed through the site for the first time, and I REALLY want you guys to tell me what you think. Its exactly how the show is.

[quote=Fides]lol
I forgot to include the site, maybe by seeing their faces it will trigger some memory.

Im pretty sure their not catholic. Sometimes I just watch to see if they name a denomination, even though its obvious they probably claim to be ‘non-denom’.

wayofthemaster.com/
[/quote]

They most certainly aren’t Catholics. They’re rabid Fundamentalists and busybodies of the worst kind.

These guys are the same people who are assiciated with the “Left Behind” series. Yes I would say definitely not Catholic.

[quote=Fides]I’ve been seeing this tv program for about a month now called Way of the Master. Its Curtis Camerson (the oldest son from the show Growing Pains) and some other middle aged guy. They talk about the gospels, repenting, saving other christians, being reborn, false conversions in the church. Then they go in the streets and pull the same routine. Have you ever lied? Have you heard stolen? Have you ever lusted for another in your heart? Then they call the person a lying stealing…cant remember the last part.

Has anyone else seen this? I see it on TLN and acouple other stations that air Benny hinn

god bless
[/quote]

Hello Fides, I enjoy this program, so much so I have a link as my signature. Please check it out, as it brings up a nice power point type presentation. Anyway, the gentleman’s name is Ray Comfort. Him and Kirk Cameron have a ministry called “The Way of The Master”. The concept being to preach the Gospel the way the “Master” did, Jesus. Many here might not agree with it.

From a fundamentalist’s point of view, they are not “rabid”. Believe it or not, the “rabid” fundamentalist’s preach to avoid them because they associate with multiple denominations, something against “rabid” fundamentalist’s doctrine of biblical seperation. Anyway, just trying to clarify in the world of “Fundamentalism”, they would not be referred to as “rabid” (I know that was not your comment, but just replying to it).

Ray Comfort also has his own Ministry, “Living Waters” as well.livingwaters.com/. Too me they are spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ, the way Jesus did…as an example to us. Catholics will disagree of course because of the huge gap in theology.

Della, they are not judging or anything. They acknowledge all have sinned and come short of the glory of God. This includes them. They get people to realize that without accepting Jesus’s sacrafice on the cross as the atonement for their sins, they are “already judged” as per the Bible. Yes, our theologies differ, to the extreme perhaps, but they nor other fundamentals I know, think we are any better…or judge others. We call sin what it is. Lusting is a sin…God says it is a sin. Why not tell people that it is a sin? They should know. Sin displeases God. In fact he uses the word “abomination”, his strongest word for hate…he hates sin.

What they try and get people to see is that “everyone”…thinks they are “good”. Then they acknowledge lieing, stealing, lusting and blaspheming. Are these things evidence of a good person? No, yet we all think were are “good”. We are sinners in need of a savior and that is all they are trying to get accross. They do not ask for money. They do not say, join this church or that church…just to come to Jesus.

I am not trying to attack Catholisim. Thuis is not my thread, I am just repling to it. Instead of “coming home to rome”…perhaps people should “come home to Jesus”. Accept him as Lord and Savior.

Fides, I believe the Holy Spirt has lead you to that program for a reason. Please do not right it off. Pray and keep watching it. If for nothing more than you to make a list of what you disagree with it. Nonetheless, you gave it a fair chance.

Thanks for the opportunity to respond.

[quote=Della]They most certainly aren’t Catholics. They’re rabid Fundamentalists and busybodies of the worst kind.
[/quote]

Hi Della. These two individuals are doing what they believe God is asking of them. I wouldn’t be the first to judge them and I am not trying the judge you. But “busybodies of the worst kind” I do not feel is appropriate.

:slight_smile:

[quote=mastda]These guys are the same people who are assiciated with the “Left Behind” series. Yes I would say definitely not Catholic.
[/quote]

Yes, Kirk Cameron is the star of all the “Left Behind” movies. The last one being just released, which I might add is quite good just as a movie even if one does not agree with the theology/eschatology.

[quote=malachi_a_serva]Hi Della. These two individuals are doing what they believe God is asking of them. I wouldn’t be the first to judge them and I am not trying the judge you. But “busybodies of the worst kind” I do not feel is appropriate.

:slight_smile:
[/quote]

I said busybodies and I meant it. They have no authority to be questioning people about their sins. If they tried that stunt on me, I’d tell them to go mind their own sins! And if that didn’t deter them I’d knock them flat with my purse! :stuck_out_tongue:

And, per usual for your sort of Protestant, you know nothing about Catholicism but feel free to comment on it anyway. :rolleyes: Read the Catechism of the Catholic Church and then come and tell Catholics what we believe. :wink:

[quote=Della]I said busybodies and I meant it. They have no authority to be questioning people about their sins. If they tried that stunt on me, I’d tell them to go mind their own sins! And if that didn’t deter them I’d knock them flat with my purse! :stuck_out_tongue:

And, per usual for your sort of Protestant, you know nothing about Catholicism but feel free to comment on it anyway. :rolleyes: Read the Catechism of the Catholic Church and then come and tell Catholics what we believe. :wink:
[/quote]

Well, the truth is that Christians are commanded to point out one another’s sins so long as they have their own in check.

[quote=Lazerlike42]Well, the truth is that Christians are commanded to point out one another’s sins so long as they have their own in check.
[/quote]

Not with “gotcha” tactics that catch people off guard. We are to correct people reluctantly, with charity and with a clear reason for doing so, not as a stunt pulled on people walking down the street.

[quote=Della]Not with “gotcha” tactics that catch people off guard. We are to correct people reluctantly, with charity and with a clear reason for doing so, not as a stunt pulled on people walking down the street.
[/quote]

Agreed :thumbsup:

[quote=Fides]I’ve been seeing this tv program for about a month now called Way of the Master. Its Curtis Camerson (the oldest son from the show Growing Pains) and some other middle aged guy. They talk about the gospels, repenting, saving other christians, being reborn, false conversions in the church. Then they go in the streets and pull the same routine. Have you ever lied? Have you heard stolen? Have you ever lusted for another in your heart? Then they call the person a lying stealing…cant remember the last part.

god bless
[/quote]

I have seen it but didn’t reallyy watch it for very long.

and did god tell them how much to charge for the dvd/cdrom box set? :smiley:

[quote=Della]Not with “gotcha” tactics that catch people off guard. We are to correct people reluctantly, with charity and with a clear reason for doing so, not as a stunt pulled on people walking down the street.
[/quote]

. . .or standing in line to see a “The Largest Bull in the West” at the county fair. I kid you not. :rotfl: :rotfl: Poor guy in back of us was being hounded by some kid who wanted to save him.

[quote=Della]I said busybodies and I meant it. They have no authority to be questioning people about their sins. If they tried that stunt on me, I’d tell them to go mind their own sins! And if that didn’t deter them I’d knock them flat with my purse! :stuck_out_tongue:

[/quote]

Hi Della. I must say you sound like a feisty lady. Feisty enough to commit assault…please don’t knock anyone flat with your purse… :slight_smile:

I was baptized, raised and confirmed Catholic, partaking of confession, communion etc., and do own and read the Catechism of the Catholic Church, thank you. So your clairvoyant abilities does lack in the “fact” department. :slight_smile:

They do not do it by any “authority”; all the people that are approached on this show are asked permission to be asked questions, they volunteer their answers. Perhaps they just like to be on TV. I do recall seeing one lady attack Ray Comfort, she went ballistic…maybe that was you?

Just trying to add some “forum” humor that I have observed on the various threads. A little arrogant, with a touch of humor,. I am learning. :slight_smile:

[quote=malachi_a_serva]I am not trying to attack Catholisim. Thuis is not my thread, I am just repling to it.

Instead of “coming home to rome”…perhaps people should “come home to Jesus”. Accept him as Lord and Savior.
[/quote]

You seem to be implying that the two are mutually exclusive, thus lending the lie to your first sentence.

“Coming home to rome” IS coming home to Jesus — to where the fullness of his truth is found, and where he can be recieved as Lord and Savior more inimately that anywhere else – in Holy Communion.

I’m sorry you have abandoned a misunderstood posession of the full gospel in exchange for a poor, truncated version. In the most sincere charity, I pray you do “come home to rome.”

[/quote]

I like to refer on how to do it by the example of the "Master, Jesus that he demonstrates to us in the Bible. I recall when he was approached by an individual asking him how he could get to heaven. Jesus replied with quoting a few of the 10 commandments; whereby the individual acknowledged keeping them. He then told the individual to sell everything he had. The individual couldn’t (idolatry, covetousness)…so I see Jesus bringing the law to humble the proud.

I don’t think it appropriate to critique the technique of Jesus.

[quote=Fidelis]You seem to be implying that the two are mutually exclusive, thus lending the lie to your first sentence.

“Coming home to rome” IS coming home to Jesus — to where the fullness of his truth is found, and where he can be recieved as Lord and Savior more inimately that anywhere else – in Holy Communion.

I’m sorry you have abandoned a misunderstood posession of the full gospel in exchange for a poor, truncated version. In the most sincere charity, I pray you do “come home to rome.”
[/quote]

Well it wouldn’t be a lie unless I knew it was incorrect. Of which I do not. I do acknowledge our disagreement. Why would anyone want to say “come home to Rome” even if that where coming home to Jesus? Why not give all the glory to God? To Jesus? And just say. "come home to Jesus?

I guess my point being that even if it was one in the same…why not give all the Glory to God?

For clarification,** I do not believe coming home to Rome is coming home to Jesus**. I do believe that people who are or join the Catholic Church want to come to Jesus, but miss the mark. Just my opinion so nothing big. :slight_smile:

Anyway, off topic so my apologies.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.