Ways of serving while still single?

What are some ways I can serve God/ the Church while still single? I would like to marry but that's not an option right now. I feel a bit useless at the moment since I'm only a student, so any ideas on how I can serve will be appreciated.
Thanks - Gemma

I've been single for around 30 years creeping up to 35yrs I think. Private vows with ongoing spiritual direction. Early in those years I worked in the workforce and had a life of prayer that fitted in with my employment. Later years I was a student and boy, those studies took every available spare minute for me and I prayed 'on the run' and never ever a recommended move. At very least Morning and Evening Prayer, even if only 5mins each - some part or parts of the day just for The Lord

. Gosh Gemma "only a student" - I think my eyes popped when I read "only". It is a very big undertaking and your call at this moment is to be the best student that you can to my mind. If you have spare time you can give, why not a charity doing volunteer work if only a few hours a week or a month. Volunteers are always needed at least here in Australia.
Don't overload yourself and probably only you know when and if you have or have not

All I personally have ever really done formally within The Church (as it were) is lector and to help out if they needed help somewhere if I could. Lowly tasks and someone has to do them. I did work in the parish office for a while one day week. You could ask your pp if there is any way you could help out now and then. You could deny yourself something and donate to the missions, or the two collections at Mass or some Catholic Charity - and these certainly are working within the cultural boundaries of The Church.

I consider every thing I do as working for The Church, not inside Her boundaries as we tend to think of them. Rather the boundaries of The Catholic Church embrace the whole universe. We are the Mystical Body of Christ on earth. I am baptised and therefore my whole being is always working for Jesus (who is The Head of The Mystical Body and our King) and no matter what I might be about 'inside' the 'cultural boundaries' of The Catholic Church or outside those cultural only (IMO) boundaries.
My call as I have experienced it is to be living The Gospel everywhere and always.

Our commission by Jesus is to "go into the whole world and preach The Gospel to every creature"...........and I like what St Francis of Assisi said "with words only if necessary". We are called to be a certain sort of person living out The Gospel in every single moment of every single day.

Nowadays, at 68yrs of age, I work two days weekly for a charity in their offices. I take in ironing once fortnight for a few extra pennies - never know when they are needed.

Have you thought about a spiritual director to help you discern just what Jesus may or may not be asking?

[quote="_Gemma, post:1, topic:335002"]
What are some ways I can serve God/ the Church while still single? I would like to marry but that's not an option right now. I feel a bit useless at the moment since I'm only a student, so any ideas on how I can serve will be appreciated.
Thanks - Gemma

[/quote]

You're a student?

How about evangelizing and inviting people to your church around campus?

[quote="_Gemma, post:1, topic:335002"]
Thanks - Gemma

[/quote]

You serve God every day by being His faithful servant. You offer your prayers to God throughout the day. You ask God's blessings upon your studies.

One of the first places we serve God is in our family. Today, as a student, your family can be those at school with you.

Usually groups on campus incorporate some sort of service project into their calendar. You can take part in those projects.

Attend Mass each week. When you find out another student is Catholic, invite them to attend Mass with you. Don't pester the other Catholics - just invite them along. Invite them to confession when you are going.

Most importantly, live the life of a Christian - meaning people know you are Christian by how you treat others. People will notice.

God's blessings on you for this upcoming school year.

Another way to service inside the cultural boundaries of The Church - which has an outreach outside of our cultural boundaries, is St Vincent de Paul Society in your parish area.
I am going to their meeting on Tuesday next in my own parish, which reminded me of this way of service inside (and outside) our cultural boundaries. St Vincent de Paul call their various boundaries "conferences" and there probably would be a conference in your parish, or a conference that embraces your parish. If you ring your parish office, they ideally should be able to give you a contact number or numbers for St Vinnies in your area. Meetings here in Australia are held once monthly in the evening. While visiting clients may take place during the day, in my parish we sometimes might do evening visits as well. Sometimes clients only need some kind of food, clothing or furniture - finances if we have it sometimes - but sometimes they are in such financial distress, they need a really listening, compassionate and empathic, ear as well. We don't visit on our own, rather two or more. In Australia, we have a central main office where people can ring in and advise the kind of help that is needed - then these calls are sent out by the office to appropriate conferences where the client lives.

They do quite holy and important work - and the fact that they are parish or conference based with an outreach outside our cultural boundaries does mean that they have an evangelizing role in The Church. Evangelizing by available means is so very important, vital to our vocation and call as laity too, and highlighted for us in The Church today - and by various means.

You could join a liturgical ministry, e.g., choir, band, lector, or usher. You could also join RCIA as a sponsor or companion if you're interested in journeying with new people in the faith. There's also St. Vincent De Paul or Legion of Mary for prayer.

Any way you want. That's one of the cool things about being single.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will look to see if I can volunteer in any way.
I do like the sound of St Vincent De Paul but I think at my Parish it's mostly older people that do that.
I will see what I can do and pray.
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

[quote="_Gemma, post:8, topic:335002"]
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will look to see if I can volunteer in any way.
I do like the sound of St Vincent De Paul but I think at my Parish it's mostly older people that do that.
I will see what I can do and pray.
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

[/quote]

Probably you are right in that the majority of people in the SVP various conferences (to my knowledge) are over 50yrs - but no reason you can't join if under 50 yrs. No reason at all. To my knowledge, volunteers are always needed. Some are over 50yrs but very young in heart.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.