Ways to read the Bible -- add your helps

I’m reading the Bible in a Year published by the Augustine Institute. I got the book last November and started reading then. The Bible text is specified for each calendar day. There are one or two Old Testament sections and a New Testament selection. You can read all three selections for a date, or spread the readings over three years, reading all the #1 selections one year, the #2 selections the second year, etc.

I’m reading all the daily selections, which takes about 20-25 minutes (4 pages). Sometimes I go to another Bible to get the footnotes for some verses. I didn’t keep a notebook of special verses I wanted to remember, which I should have done. I have made a very few notes on those blank pages at the end of the book.

Twice so far, I read two days’ worth of readings, in case I had to skip a day.

The downside for me is that I’m not remembering what I read previously. I got through the four gospels without feeling that I had actually read them, because they were spread over so many days.

Augustine Institute added a commentary after each daily section, always ending with some challenge about that day’s reading.

I read silently, but there may be some value to reading aloud. There are some surprisingly boring sections, such as the 9 chapters of genealogies in 2 Chron. which I don’t remember from the last time I read through the Bible. I’m at around page 1050 of 1392.

There are so many insights about the Bible that I get only from commentaries, not just from a reading like this. Such as Psalm 50 is about sin, Psalm 100 about forgiveness, and Psalm 150 about Thanksgiving (but I haven’t checked that out for sure). So, there’s structure to the books that doesn’t always jump out.

It may just be me, but I don’t think I’d do well on that system. I remember better when I read straight through each book. I do find it helpful to highlight and make notes.

Another way to read books of the Bible is with a commentary on each book. That can get expensive. It took me over two years to get a set of such commentaries containing patristic (early church fathers) commentaries. These were published by a non-Catholic publishing house but the commentaries are nearly all from fathers we would consider Catholic.

St Bonaventure was supposedly a prolific commentator on scripture. There also another prolific writer from the 1300’s who wrote commentaries from a different perspective.

Modern Catholic commentaries utilize modern, even scientific methods of analyzing scripture.

I find that reading Scripture out loud really helps.

I also find that jumping around from book to book (like OT to NT) doesn’t really help me. I try to go to daily Mass so I am hearing some NT Scripture every day anyway, along with some really disjointed OT.

I read for a half hour about 3 times a week and I do it at home so I can read loud and put a lot of emphasis into it, like I’m reading a story to kids or a script for acting class.

I just start where I left off and if I’m not remembering what came before then I back up a chapter or two and go from there.

I will not be finishing the whole Bible in a year (far from it) but I really don’t see any need to rush, it will be there. I have been at this since about January and right now I am in the middle of Kings somewhere. Some of the Leviticus and Numbers stuff was unbelievably repetitive and a bit dull, but I got some insights from it nevertheless. However, I find the more narrative books like Ruth and Kings to be much more riveting. I read the whole Bible before cover to cover so I have a reasonable idea what’s in there, but there’s stuff I forgot about and other stuff that’s just fun to read again as an adult because last time I read straight through I was about 15.

I’m a stowaway from the old CA forums. The idea grabbed me to have a thread on each book of the bible , so others could comment or consider in a focused way on that particular book.

HERE: please mention if you’ve found a website with catholic commentary

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.