We always hear so much about Muslims trying to achieve Sharia Law

We always hear so much about Muslums tring to achieve Sharia Law.What makes the conquests in the Book of Joshua any different? Were they justified and are we suppose to interpret them as having happened as they are in the Bible word for word.

Well, for one, Catholics aren’t bound to the OT like Muslims are to the Quran.

The Church does not desire to create a theocracy.

1 Like

I partly welcome Muslims enforcing anti-usury law at least. I wish Christians had the backbone to do it themselves. They used to. Now the large majority of the West serves Mammon.

It’s a fitting punishment for the West. They reject the easy way of Christ, only to stupidly invite the hard way of the Law about to come crashing down on them.

The Old Testament records Joshua’s conquests. It does not say we should imitate Joshua.

3 Likes

the muslims are trying to achieve sharia law today. radical muslims are using conquest to spread their religion.

the book of joshua is history. christians aren’t using conquest to spread their religion.

1 Like

I don’t hear that much about it except on websites with a fear based political agenda. I’m not saying there are not accurate remote stories about the desire by some Muslims to achieve Sharia Law, but to claim it is a major goal of Muslims is like saying the majority of Muslims are terrorists.

The Old Testament may be violent but the slight difference is the Pld Testament records violence at the time because at the Bronze Age and early Iron Age the only way to survive is by all the violence you see in the Old Testament. These were commands God gave to the Israelires to ensure their survival not commands to the followers of Jesus to go out slaying people and subjugating them. The Quran, Hadith, and other Islamic scripture are one of the most vile books on Earth considering it is the only book on Earth which claims to be from God yet commands violence from its followers as a way to practice their religion. I don’t remember Jesus commanding slaughter and subjugation but I do remember Mohammed commanding it.

it is the goal of all muslims to live by sharia law.

1. What type of Muslims follow Sharia?

Any observant Muslim would consider him or herself to be Sharia-adherent. It is impossible to find a Muslim who practices any Islamic ritual and does not believe himself or herself to be complying with Sharia. (http://njing.org)

sharia is a system of laws and not just religious laws. one court took the right of a man over the right of a woman in ruling on a case.

According to the court record, the man’s wife – a Moroccan woman who had recently immigrated to the U.S. at the time of the attacks – alleged:

"Defendant forced plaintiff to have sex with him while she cried. Plaintiff testified that defendant always told her “this is according to our religion. You are my wife, I c[an] do anything to you. The woman, she should submit and do anything I ask her to do.”

In considering the woman’s plea for a restraining order after the couple divorced, Charles ruled in June 2009 that a preponderance of the evidence showed the defendant had harassed and assaulted her, but “The court believes that [defendant] was operating under his belief that it is, as the husband, his desire to have sex when and whether he wanted to, was something that was consistent with his practices and it was something that was not prohibited.” ( from fox news)

2 Likes

They wouldn’t be true Muslims if they didn’t care about it. Especially in the West.

My point exactly…I’m doubting the truth of the allegations…I see it more likely to be fearmongering than reality.

I don’t see how we’re in agreement. Not all will be vocal about it. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t a desire. It’s not possible to even be a Muslim and tolerate the kind of junk they see in liberal society (not merely liberal as in politics… I mean liberated/individualistic in general).

Secondly, a Muslim is very much allowed to lie and bide their time.

“Let not believers take disbelievers as allies rather than believers. And whoever of you does that has nothing with Allah, except when taking precaution against them in prudence. And Allah warns you of Himself, and to Allah is the final destination.” - Sura 3:28

I’m no Islamic theologian so I can’t interpret the Quran on my own, so I have to go by what the experts say – both the experts in favor of Islam (Sheikh Bandar Baleela, Adel Al-Kalbani, Siraj Wahaj) and the ones who oppose it (Robert Spencer).

Based on what they all agree on, Islam is a religion of force – from the Muslims’ perspective, it is altrustic, but it does mean violence, extreme taxation, and death to those who oppose it.

Sharia is the law in how it is enforced.

In Western cultures (depending on where), Sharia may be enforced a bit differently, but this doesn’t mean that they disagree with the teachings of Islam, just that perhaps they are more lenient. Though there is also no call to reform within Islam from the Muslims who do in fact live peacefully among non-Muslims.

Every Muslim I have gotten to know has been mostly kind and friendly. Though even some of them have admitted it is in opposition to what Islam proclaims.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.