We Are All Hindus Now

We Are All Hindus Now

America is not a Christian nation. We are, it is true, a nation founded by Christians, and according to a 2008 survey, 76 percent of us continue to identify as Christian (still, that’s the lowest percentage in American history). Of course, we are not a Hindu—or Muslim, or Jewish, or Wiccan—nation, either. A million-plus Hindus live in the United States, a fraction of the billion who live on Earth. But recent poll data show that conceptually, at least, we are slowly becoming more like Hindus and less like traditional Christians in the ways we think about God, our selves, each other, and eternity.

more…

This is fantastic news. Hindus have a great many holy days which means more paid days off of work for the rest of us. And some people think that religion has no practical value.

Well there was a Hindu view that the world would come about to Sanatana Dharma (The Eternal Religion), maybe they where right.

Waits fr someone to make a Sanatana/Satan crack :popcorn:

That’s the problem with freedom of religion – One set of folks have it and then everyone wants it.

Hahaha. Oh, Cerad.

Seriously, I’m not surprised. Since when have Americans had any enduring belief in anything other than money? I’m an American, and not here to trash America as a concept or Americans as people, but seriously…the best response to this is to give up any idea of this “American” concept of faith that rests ultimately on individualism and everybody doing their own thing. That’s a terrible, wicked idea, and with that as the prevailing maxim of the American religious person (at least according to the poll), I’m not surprised that they come up with ideas like this:

“It isn’t about orthodoxy. It’s about whatever works. If going to yoga works, great—and if going to Catholic mass works, great. And if going to Catholic mass plus the yoga plus the Buddhist retreat works, that’s great, too.”

I rarely ever curse, but frankly, this ******** has to stop. It’s enough sometimes to very nearly drive me to Orthodoxy. At least they aren’t a bunch of spineless hippie wastes of life, parading around their “spiritual, not religious” phony “tolerance” (a code word for indifferentism, mainly characterized by eager adoption and defense of anything and everything that is anti-Christ).

[/RANT]

Actually I thought the religion of America was secularism.

In India, they also get the day off to vote. I wouldn’t count on us getting the Hindu holy days off, even if every snigle one of us became Hindu. :nope:

Every day is a holy day in the religion of Mammon, and people worship by working… :frowning:

–Jen

According to the Treaty of Tripoli, ratified by the Senate in 1797 and therefore public law of the USA, “The government of the United States is by no means founded upon the Christian religion.”

dzermi–come on in! The water’s fine.

The Paris Peace Treaty of 1783

(very first sentence)

In the name of the most holy and undivided Trinity.

It having pleased the Divine Providence to dispose the hearts of the most serene and most potent Prince George the Third…

Done at Paris, this third day of September in the year of our Lord, one thousand seven hundred and eighty-three. 	
 	D. HARTLEY (SEAL)
JOHN ADAMS (SEAL)
B. FRANKLIN (SEAL)
JOHN JAY (SEAL)

I’ve been considering it for a while now. We’ll see.

if “Practical Value” is the measure we’re to use, what the practical value of somebody who wants to get paid without working?

just sayin’ :wink:

Hindus had a trinity before Christianity existed… Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva.

Entirely different. The Hindu trinity is three different gods (among a million others). Christianity has one God who is a trinity of persons.

Sorry, they hold the copyright on the trinity. The second person even incarnates as a human. All is one. OOOOHHHHMMMMM.

How about those millions of angels?

Oh boy, more “Christianity is just a revision of old mythology/Hindu religion/Zoroastrianism/(Insert name here)”. Why do the mods here not enforce point 7 of the forum rules more stringently? It states: “Non-Catholics are welcome to participate but must be respectful of the faith of the Catholics participating on the board.”

Maligning the Holy Trinity, which is held to be THE TRUE GOD by not just Catholics, but also Orthodox and the vast majority of Protestants, is not being respectful to our faith. Either start being respectful or leave. It is not your God-given right to post whatever you feel like here just because you feel like it.

Nothing is maligned by acknowledging Hindu belief and cosmology that has existed for thousands of years. Comparative study of religion deals with these things all the time.

I think the pope has acknowledged that other belief systems can contain truth. If the trinity is true, is there some reason it could not have been discerned by others?

If one looks further, they will find other examples of commonality of belief among religions. Virgin birth (Karna), incarnation of god in human form (Krishna), and resurrection from the dead (Bodhidharma)are some.

We also see an abundance of supernatural beings in many religions. The Hindus certainly have a bunch. We call them gods. But Christianity has angels and saints. There are Hindu gods for specific purposes, and Christian saints for special purposes. Islam has Jin. Shinto has Kami.

Again, if you consider your beliefs to be true, does that demand an exclusive monopoly on them?

With all due respect, that is just not true. Some of the Founding Fathers were Christian, a few were Catholic, but many, perhaps even the majority, were deists.

Oh, I’m sorry, was THAT what you were doing when you wrote this:

This was after Luke K correctly pointed out to you that this Hindu trinity is not comparable to the Christian Trinity due to the difference of its composition and content. Your reply does not so much acknowledge a Hindu trinity (which Luke did not dispute) as specifically malign the CHRISTIAN Trinity, with your insinuations that it is merely a reworking of the Hindu Trinity. THAT is why I find it so offensive, not for the idea that the Hindus had or have a Trinity. I don’t care about that.

I think the pope has acknowledged that other belief systems can contain truth. If the trinity is true, is there some reason it could not have been discerned by others?

They sure as hell didn’t discern the HOLY TRINITY, which is the only one any Christian (including the Pope) would regard as true, so this is totally immaterial. Again, you are misunderstanding the nature of my objection to your post.

If one looks further, they will find other examples of commonality of belief among religions. Virgin birth, incarnation of god in human form, and resurrection from the dead are some.

Sorry, I have no interest in looking into Hinduism. I am consecrated to Our Lord by virtue of my Christian baptism, and I accept and admit no other.

We also see an abundance of supernatural beings in many religions. The Hindus certainly have a bunch. We call them gods. But Christianity has angels and saints. There are Hindu gods for specific purposes, and Christian saints for special purposes. Islam has Jin.

Hinduism or Islam can have or not have whatever they want. That’s fine. I’m not interested in them. I’m interested in preserving the integrity of Christian belief against people who want to advance the idea that it is merely an offshoot or copy of something else. Once we were Jews in the Mediterranean, and before then probably something else, but with the incarnation and our acceptance of the Truth that is Christ, all that came before has passed away definitively. Hinduism can believe whatever it wants, but when discussing the intersection of other religions and Christianity, I must always first defend my own faith from all indifferentism and misplaced ecumenism.

Again, if you consider your beliefs to be true, does that demand an exclusive monopoly on them?

Uh, of course it does. How could it not? Do I have just as much of a right to interpret and define the essential beliefs and creeds of Hinduism as a Hindu does, or to impugn them as you have done to Christianity’s central belief in the Holy Trinity? No, I do not. So I not only claim for myself the exclusive monopoly on my own beliefs, I do not see how any discussion can happen if you do not also claim as an exclusive right of yourself to your own beliefs.

1. I accept your apology.

2. I disagree with Luke K. The Hindu concept of all being one is certainly worthy of consideration.

3. The pope didn’t discuss any particular truths from other religions. What does that tell us?

4. I acknowledge your lack of interst in Hinduism. Given that, how do you know what it says?

5. I acknowledge you are only interested in Christianity. That has no bearing on the fact that Christianity, Hindusm, Islam, and other religions include lots of supernatural entities.

6. You have a right to interpret any phenomenon of any religion anyway you please. While you are free to hold whatever beliefs you choose, that has no bearing on the fact that others may have the same or very similar beliefs. You can’t stop them.

And I, in turn, disagree with you. This Hindu Trinity is not the Holy Trinity of Christianity. Is it Father, Son, and Spirit? Is the second person of it Jesus Christ, the Word of the One True God?

1. The pope didn’t discuss any particular truths from other religions. What does that tell us?

That he did not feel it necessary to discuss particular points of dogma as they are found in other religions? He is the head of the Catholic Church, after all. It is probably a smart move to confine most of his commentary to that church. To mention that other religions may contain some measure of truth seems like a non-commital pleasantry (to say nothing of his sincerity in articulating the idea to whatever extent he did), not an endorsement of any particular point of another religion unless explicitly stated otherwise (which this obviously wasn’t).

1. I acknowledge your lack of interst in Hinduism. Given that, how do you know what it says?

When did I say that I did? I said it matters not to me what Hinduism says about its trinity, because it is not the Christian Trinity. Again, Hindus, Muslims, and everybody else can believe what they want. I’m not contesting that.

1. I acknowledge you are only interested in Christianity. That has no bearing on the fact that Christianity, Hindusm, Islam, and other religions include lots of supernatural entities.

Nor did I say that it did.

1. You have a right to interpret any phenomenon of any religion anyway you please. While you are free to hold whatever beliefs you choose, that has no bearing on the fact that others may have the same or very similar beliefs. You can’t stop them.

I’m not trying to “stop” you from doing anything. I do not agree that your beliefs are similar to mine (you seem to be fixated on this idea that the Hindu trinity as you’ve presented it is comparable to the Christian Trinity as Catholics have presented it; it is not), but by all means, feel free to still think that it is anyway.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.