We are all Sinners?

Difficult 4 me 2 understand we are all sinners.
It kind of annoys me.
Nagging feeling no matter what I do I will be imperfect.
Read the Prodigal Son - which son is worse? No 1 who was angry w/ his bro return.
I identify more w/ the “righteous” son.
Jesus forgave the Pharisees not tax-collectors or prostitutes.
I identify more w/ the Pharisees (unfortunately)
Sensual sins < Internal sins.
U cannot tell someone what 2 do w/ their own body.
I am more guilty of internal sins that warrant correction.
I wish I sinned sensually, it is just a failing/weakness.
Alcoholics & prostitutes deserve more mercy than Pharisees
It say more about ur character if u fall r a Pharisee.

Yes, you will ALWAYS be imperfect. You are HUMAN. We are all (save Jesus and Mary) imperfect, even the Saints. That’s why we have and need faith in a merciful and loving God Who forgives sinners (yes, even the worst of sinners) through His Son Jesus and through the Sacraments of His Holy Catholic Church.

Read the Prodigal Son - which son is worse? No 1 who was angry w/ his bro return.
I identify more w/ the “righteous” son.

Many do, you aren’t alone there.

Jesus forgave the Pharisees not tax-collectors or prostitutes.

Actually Jesus often condemned the Pharisees and FORGAVE the tax-collectors and prostitutes. There are numerous examples of this in the Gospels.

I identify more w/ the Pharisees (unfortunately)
Sensual sins < Internal sins.
U cannot tell someone what 2 do w/ their own body.
I am more guilty of internal sins that warrant correction.
I wish I sinned sensually, it is just a failing/weakness.
Alcoholics & prostitutes deserve more mercy than Pharisees
It say more about ur character if u fall r a Pharisee.

Im not exactly sure what you are saying here, but all sins are sins. And all sins, no matter how terrible are forgiven if only you ask God and bring them to confession.

No one DESERVES mercy, it is a totally and completely free gift from God if only we ask for it.

Does that help any? :slight_smile:

We are all sinners. Everyone that has ever lived (barring Jesus and Mary) are sinners.

Reflect on this passage from the Psalms

“Enter not into judgement with thy servant, O Lord; for in thy sight shall no man living be justified.” Psalm 143.2

Oops I meant Jesus condemned Pharisees.
I identify w/ the “righteous” bro in Prodigal Son Parable.
I can C sum of those Pharisee qualities in me.
Unhappily.
I C Jesus as more merciful 2 sensual sinners than gossips, judgmental folk.
Jesus luvs us all.
Thank God.

In that we have all committed venial sins? Yes.

But perhaps this will be good to for meditation:

Christians on earth – who are living “in Christ” – are saints.

We believe what St. Paul and other New Testament writers mean when they use the term.

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church 823 :

"The Church, then, is “the holy People of God,” and her members are called “saints.”

*that means not just those in heaven!

And from Pope Benedict XVI:

“In his First Letter to the Corinthians, St Paul addresses “those sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints together with all those who in every place call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ” (I Cor 1: 2). Indeed, Christians are already saints because Baptism unites them to Jesus and to his Paschal Mystery…”

(and then discussing becoming --more holy --more conformed to Christ he continues…)

“…but at the same time they must become so by conforming themselves every more closely to him.”

“Sometimes, people think that holiness is a privileged condition reserved for the few elect. Actually, becoming holy is every Christian’s task… The Apostle writes that God has always blessed us and has chosen us in Christ “that we should be holy and blameless before him… in love” (Eph 1: 3-5). … The “Way” is Christ, the Son, the Holy One of God: “no one comes to the Father but by me [Jesus]” (cf. Jn 14: 6).”

Pope Benedict XVI 1 November 2007

w2.vatican.va/content/benedic…ll-saints.html

Now over the centuries yes another use of the term saints developed. Saints has been yes used for those who have lived as saints in a heroic way (by the grace of God of course).

And yes later a process of canonization developed to recognize them, honor them and propose them as special models for the Christian faithful in following Christ.

Thus one can say there are saints and also Saints in the canonized sense or at least the recognized sense (they were recognized long before the process of canonization developed…especially Our Lady, the Apostles and Martyrs).

Those living in Christ on earth etc are saints…even if they commit venial sins…

So yes we have committed sins and by our Savior we are saints…

For me, Truth is the only reality, anything other than truth is a deception.
Being deceptive is a transgression (sin) from the truth.
Fear of the truth causes deception.
Denying the truth is a form of sin. Is it not?

As a baptized person in a state of grace I am not a sinner. I may sin in the future, I have sinned in the past.

See my posts above…depends on what one means when saying “I am a sinner”

I am a sinner can mean - I have committed sins in my life - some mortal even.

I am a sinner can mean- I commit venial sins (those in a state of grace still commit those).

I am a sinner can mean - I am in mortal sin.

A baptized person is also a saint in one real sense of the word (see the long post above).

Perhaps a baptized baby is not. He has had the stain of original sin wiped away, and is not of an age that it is possible for him to commit even venial sin. Nevertheless, he “is” a sinner in the sense that he was born with original sin and it is only through God’s grace in the sacrament of baptism that he is no longer in a state of sin.

This is a perplexing issue. When we strive for holiness, are we striving for the impossible? Yet St. John says that if we sin we do not have God in us and we do not know God. He basically says that he who sins is not a Christian. Can’t figure that out.

1 JN 3:4-10:

4 Everyone who commits sin commits lawlessness, for sin is lawlessness.
5 You know that he was revealed to take away sins, and in him there is no sin.
6 No one who remains in him sins; no one who sins has seen him or known him.
7 Children, let no one deceive you. The person who acts in righteousness is righteous,
just as he is righteous.
8 Whoever sins belongs to the devil, because the devil has sinned from the beginning. Indeed, the Son of God was revealed to destroy the works of the devil.
9 No one who is begotten by God commits sin, because God’s seed remains in him; he cannot sin because he is begotten by God.
10 In this way, the children of God and the children of the devil are made plain; no one who fails to act in righteousness belongs to God, nor anyone who does not love his brother.

How many of us can keep the 1st commandment of Christ that we are to love God with all our soul, heart and mind using all our spiritual strength. I would have to say that this is a mortal sin.

One must understand what is meant there by that Scripture…and what is not meant.

It is important to look at what a mortal sin is and what is* not* a mortal sin …and what a venial sin is.

At what the Church of Jesus Teaches.

A helpful succinct book is the** Compendium** issued by Pope Benedict XVI
394. How are sins distinguished according to their gravity?**

A distinction is made between mortal and venial sin.
395. When does one commit a mortal sin?**

1855-1861

One commits a mortal sin when there are simultaneously present: grave matter, full knowledge, and deliberate consent. This sin destroys charity in us, deprives us of sanctifying grace, and, if unrepented, leads us to the eternal death of hell. It can be forgiven in the ordinary way by means of the sacraments of Baptism and of Penance or Reconciliation.

396. When does one commit a venial sin?

1862-1864

One commits a venial sin, which is essentially different from a mortal sin, when the matter involved is less serious or, even if it is grave, when full knowledge or complete consent are absent. Venial sin does not break the covenant with God but it weakens charity and manifests a disordered affection for created goods. It impedes the progress of a soul in the exercise of the virtues and in the practice of moral good. It merits temporal punishment which purifies.

vatican.va/archive/compendium_ccc/documents/archive_2005_compendium-ccc_en.html

CCC: scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s1c1a8.htm#1856

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.