We are almost foster parents!

My husband and I are about to be licensed as foster parents. I cannot believe we are actually here. We have been trying for 5 years to have children . I think this is God’s will for us . One moment , I get excited about what we are about to embark on, and the next minute I get scared that I will not be able to handle being a foster parent. I keep preparing myself that whatever child we have in our home, will most likely be returned to their birth mother. I keep telling myself, that we will be helping a child in their time of need and at least experience being a parent for a short time. Please pray for us that we will be good foster parents and not let the stress and ups and downs get to us.
Thanks!
Mary

Mary, God bless the generous hearts of your husband and you! Congratulations on receiving foster parent status!
Your fears are natural for anyone contemplating taking or receiving children into their homes,
and I pray God will give you and your husband, and the children, all the loving graces and wisdom you will all need to make all your lives happy and peaceful, and where necessary, healing.

May God truly bless you both!
Warmly, Trishie :slight_smile:

Congratulations! I’m sure you’ll do just fine - make sure you’ve got a network of supportive people you can talk to if you’re unsure about anything.

Prayers for you, especially to St Joseph, the daddy of all foster-parents!

I am proud that you have taken this step, and I am praying for you. May you do a find job in this.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the Fruit of Thy Womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen

God Bless your decision to love those who are in most need.

God Bless you two for helping foster children. Will pray all to go well for you…

Praying for you!

God Bless your decision
Praying for you

Praying for your family…

Good luck and God Bless!
We’ve been foster parents almost 7 years. Please pm me if I can ever be of assistance.

Bryan

Said a prayer for you. Bless you!

Thanks for all your prayers . I can’t believe my husband is starting to get cold feet about this and today he said he was going to call the office and tell them we changed our minds about going forward and being foster parents. He didn’t make the call and I got him to calm down. I think all the prayers are really helping us! I think we have gotten this far, God has a hand in it. My DH is a good man and would make a great foster parent . He is nervous that he will not be able to handle it but he is so good with kids. . I keep encouraging him and telling him to take one day at a time. We haven’t even gotten a call yet!! please continue to pray for us. This is going to be truly a test of my faith.
Thanks so much, this means so much to me!
Mary

Continued prayers for yourself and your husband.

I think this sort of anxiety and nervousness is something a lot of people face when the possibility (or reality) of being a parent hits them. Don’t dismiss it if it continues though - and perhaps get him to talk to a counsellor or someone if need be

:crossrc:

I pray that this is not something he’s just gone along with for your sake, and if he has, that this be faced openly. May God be with you both

Praying for both of you.

Mary,

Let me share a story with you. When I was 16 my parents had friends that were foster parents. One day their foster son woke up and murdered them and everyone in the family and then killed himself. That day I swore I would never be a foster parent. No one could change my mind except God (and I suspect Our Lady helped) Being a foster dad has been the best experience of my life. Harder than basic training, more fun than just about anything.

I’m serious when I say to pm me if you need anything. I’ll talk to your husband if you like (not about what happened when I was 16) being a foster parent is awesome. Even before I gave Mary a second thought, I can now tell that this effort gathered her and St. Joseph’s prayers. It the only way I can explain it.

Bryan

Praying

Congrats! You are wonderful for doing this and will be blessed.

My brother and his wife became foster parents recently to a boy who is 10. Their kids are all grown and on their own, so they are an older couple (but not too old to love a kid!!).

He is a wonderful little guy. This boy has been living on the streets for a long time - he even knows all of the restaurants in downtown Omaha that will give him free food!

At Christmas time, they gave him some gifts - he was so excited he buried his head and cried. His mother does not want to see him - she even says she prefers her drugs to him.

They found out around Christmas time that they are going to be able to adopt him! They know it may not be easy, because of what he has been living like all of his life, but they are prepared to accept that and deal with what comes. I think they are wonderful for giving him a chance.

Ours is a HUGE family, which I am sure is daunting to him, but he seems to fit in well. When there are so many, what is one more!

Good luck in your endeavors - it may be hard at times, but you are doing a good thing.

God bless!

My prayers are with you. Congratulations on this blessing.

Our Father, who art in Heaven,
hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come,
thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us,
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
Amen

*Hail Mary full of grace the Lord is with thee. *
*Blessed art thou amongst women *
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus
*Holy Mary, Mother of God *
*pray for us sinners now *
*and at the hour of our death. *
Amen.

August Queen of the Heavens, heavenly sovereign of the Angels, Thou who from the beginning received from God the power and the mission to crush the head of Satan, we humbly beseech Thee to send Your holy Legions, so that under Thy command and through Thy power, they may pursue the demons and combat them everywhere, suppress their boldness, and drive them back into the abyss. Who is like God? O good and tender Mother, Thou will always be our love and hope! O Divine Mother, send Thy Holy Angels to defend me and to drive far away from me the cruel enemy. Holy Angels and Archangels, defend us, guard us. Amen.

Still praying

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.