We can be caught up in networks of verbal violence through forums of digital communication

In Gaudete et Exsultate Pope Francis makes us aware of the dangers of the internet if not used in a Christlike way .

He says , " Christians too can be caught up in networks of verbal violence through the internet and the various forums of digital communication. Even in Catholic media, limits can be overstepped, defamation and slander can become commonplace, and all ethical standards and respect for the good name of others can be abandoned. The result is a dangerous dichotomy, since things can be said there that would be unacceptable in public discourse, and people look to compensate for their own discontent by lashing out at others. It is striking that at times, in claiming to uphold the other commandments, they completely ignore the eighth, which forbids bearing false witness or lying, and ruthlessly vilify others. Here we see how the unguarded tongue, set on fire by hell, sets all things ablaze. "

I agree, anonymity allows some to overstep the boundaries however it’s worth remembering something of fundamental importance.
God sees all, knows all, is all. There is no anonymity.

I have a friend who believes everything on Facebook . Another friend has noticed how her teenage daughter’s mood can change when she gets on Facebook .

I am trying , @Lee1 , to make new friends outside of Facebook while applying the same principles. Therefore, every day I take a walk in town and tell passers by what I have eaten, how I feel at the moment, what I have done the night before, what I will do later and with whom.

I give them pictures of my family, our dogs, ‘selfies’ of me gardening, taking things apart in the garage, watering the lawn, standing in front of landmarks, driving around town, having lunch and generally doing what anybody and everybody does every day.

I also listen to their conversations, give them the “thumbs up” and tell them I like them.

And it works just like Facebook.

I already have four people following me: two police officers, a private investigator and a psychiatrist .

This isn’t really a problem with the Internet, it’s a problem with a gullible person.
It’s just as bad to believe everything you read in the news media, or everything you hear local gossip about.
Why anyone would “believe everything” they were told, unless Jesus or Mary was the one doing the telling, is beyond me.

That’s hilarious :joy:

I read that when saints - told people - they spoke with Jesus / Mary - those people didn’t believe them.
Thus they had to see signs and miracles or other things - etc.
Pilate - said to Jesus " …what is truth… "
I have a feeling, being a top official, he said that in a disappointed way.

That’s what corruption brings. A chaos of lies and deceiving.
The Devil - being " The Great Deceiver "
The Father - of lies.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.