We can kill bugs, spiders

I know this is a stupid bizarre question but I just want to make sure.

We can kill bugs if in house or step on them if they’re a bother, correct? Like for example, I had to kill a spider last week 'cause I absolutely can’t stand them - I think I have a dose of arachnaphobia (sp?) - and kill them whenever I see one.

I know you guys may think I’m nuts for asking this but this doesn’t apply to the 5th Commandment, right? :o

I’m joking!

I’m pretty sure your okay. When you have your first confession you should confess it to the priest and see what he says. :Dlol!

[quote=Paris Blues]I know this is a stupid bizarre question but I just want to make sure.

We can kill bugs if in house or step on them if they’re a bother, correct? Like for example, I had to kill a spider last week 'cause I absolutely can’t stand them - I think I have a dose of arachnaphobia (sp?) - and kill them whenever I see one.

I know you guys may think I’m nuts for asking this but this doesn’t apply to the 5th Commandment, right? :o

I’m joking!
[/quote]

I hope so!!

Remember the Holy Family made blood sacrifice at the temple – and no one said that was a violation of the 5th Commandment.

Oh, I have no qualms about killing mosquitoes. Their kind deserve to die! :yup:

But, apart from jumping spiders (nasty things who aggressively sting instead of just in self-defense) I like to catch water spiders, and other innocuous bugs, and set them free outside.

Not because I have any Hindu tendencies but because I find beauty in tiny living things and am in awe of how alive they are even though they are only insignificant bugs.

They remind me that God made even the little things and has a place for them in his creation, not just the great stars or great creatures, such as elephants or whales, or those who are sentient, like us.

I was wondering the same thing! I have my first confession tomorrow and I was going to ask Fr. that very question.

This has HONESTLY bothered me.

I have no problems killing ants in my house, mosquitos, spiders, etc.

But I consider killing a dog a sin unless its in self-defense, or you live in a nother culture where eating dog is somehow accepted.

Why do I have a personal hierarchy of what I can kill and what I can’t for given risens? If I found ants in my trash, I’d raid them dead. IF I found a stray dog in my trash, I’d take it outside.

Why do I sense a difference? What is the moral and philosphical implications of this? Any insights?

Josh

Tis a good thought, since no creatures have souls other than we human, it stands to reason that the reason we have qualms about killing dogs, zoo animals, pets in general vice insects is because of the “annoyance factor”, and probably size and mess.

Seems to be arbitrary based on logistical concerns moreso than anything spiritual…

[quote=HappyCatholic01]Tis a good thought, since no creatures have souls other than we human, it stands to reason that the reason we have qualms about killing dogs, zoo animals, pets in general vice insects is because of the “annoyance factor”, and probably size and mess.

[/quote]

Hmm… although I disagree, you’ve provided me with a good insight :stuck_out_tongue:

Animals do have souls, they are simply mortal instead of immortal. As such, we are still called to respect all life in our venture as stewards of nature. Thus it is at least somewhat immoral to kill unecessarily. I can’t be in a bad mood, and go into the forest looking for spiders to RAID.

However, we are called to protect the righteous order and health of things. If a dog is in our garbage, we can remedy the situation by taking it outside, no loss of life is needed. However if an ant is in your garbage, taking it out won’t do much help. It’ll just come right back in again. As stewards of nature, we recognize that the hygenic practice of having bugs out of our food takes priority over their annoying exoskeletal lives.

shrugs its at least a beginning.
Josh

[quote=threej_lc]Animals do have souls, …
[/quote]

:ehh:
Reference please. I don’t think that is correct.

Reference please. I don’t think that is correct.
[/quote]

Haven’t found an official church document yet, but most of you should accept it’s validity:

catholic.com/thisrock/2000/0011qq.asp

Josh

I guess it depends on what you mean by “soul.” I always thought that “soul” by its definition meant immortal. Whatever. Thanks for the link.

[quote=threej_lc]Hmm… although I disagree, you’ve provided me with a good insight :stuck_out_tongue:

Animals do have souls, they are simply mortal instead of immortal. As such, we are still called to respect all life in our venture as stewards of nature. Thus it is at least somewhat immoral to kill unecessarily. I can’t be in a bad mood, and go into the forest looking for spiders to RAID.

However, we are called to protect the righteous order and health of things. If a dog is in our garbage, we can remedy the situation by taking it outside, no loss of life is needed. However if an ant is in your garbage, taking it out won’t do much help. It’ll just come right back in again. As stewards of nature, we recognize that the hygenic practice of having bugs out of our food takes priority over their annoying exoskeletal lives.

shrugs its at least a beginning.
Josh
[/quote]

When did God breath into animals (therefore giving them souls)??? He breathed into man, and made man their caretakers.

I do not kill bugs, spiders, etc. anymore. Death is too strong!!! There is something evil in establishing categories on who lives and dies…
Two apologetics threads on this matter: “Will our pets go to heaven with us?” and “Souls”.

Surprised I’m the first here to say this, but I’ve got some birds in the freezer ready for the Fry Daddy on Thanksgiving. The only folks that may have any credibility at all on the “don’t kill anything” side, it would seem to me, are the 100% vegans.

I shoot groundhogs. :smiley:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b49/JSmitty2005/Other/meandgroundhog.jpg

Not only can you kill them, you can eat some of them:bigyikes:

Yet among the winged insects that go on all fours you may eat those which have legs above their feet, with which to leap on the earth. Of them you may eat: the locust according to its kind, the bald locust according to its kind, the cricket according to its kind, and the grasshopper according to its kind. (LV 11: 21-22)

PF

[quote=JSmitty2005]I shoot groundhogs. :smiley:
[/quote]

Please come visit my backyard. We had to get rid of our dog a couple years back because she got bored with the groundhogs, escaped, attacked a neighborhood dog, and now the groundhogs have returned and are eating the garden!

anyway…

Only people have souls, and only people are made in the image and likeness of God. Therefore, only the killing of people can be murder.

But because God made dogs and mosquitos, we have to respect dogs. It is acceptable to kill dogs and mosquitos if we have a good reason and do it in a humane way. It is not acceptable to skin dogs alive and watch them suffer in pain.

To the person who said that mosquitos deserve to die simply because they are mosquitos… I agree with you, but be careful. Isn’t that the whole idea behind racism? The [name of race] people deserve to die, simply because they are [name of race].

God gave us this earth and it’s inhabitants to use - not to abuse. Don’t get me wrong, I’m no GreenPeace tree-hugging hippie liberal nut, but I definately appreciate God’s creation. I only think that we should kill things if we are going to use them or if they are a nuisance. However, the way that we treat other creatures can be an indication on how we will treat fellow human beings. You must remember, though, that causing sufferring to animals does them no good so it would be cruel to do it simply for fun (people are different - we can benefit from sufferring). I wouldn’t worry about killing bugs though!

Paris Blues,

Congrats on your upcoming confirmation!

Funny you ask this, even jokingly; as a kid I didn’t understand this and admitted to stepping on ants during confession. I wonder if Fr. R had a hard time keeping a straight face until I left the room! :slight_smile:

cecilia

I don't believe insects have a soul, its not like if you keep a ant for a pet and you kill, i don't think it would go to heaven, imagine its little tiny soul! :blush: But if you kill a dog that is wrong, because i believe dogs have souls and they go to heaven.

Aidan.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.