We can not and should not be happy if our salvation is at risk

Saint Paul wrote in the letter to the Romans (8:24) that “we are saved by hope.” Hope is one of the three theological virtues, along with faith and love (1 Corinthians 13:13).

To assume, or worse, to presume that God will save us no matter what discards the virtue of hope, and renders void Christ’s admonition to persevere to the end so as to be saved (Matthew 10:22, 24:13, Mark 13:13), and Paul’s admonition to run the race so as to win (1 Corinthians 9:24). It also violates Paul’s teaching in Romans 11:22, that we can be cut off from the vine.

As well, why did Paul have a ministry of reconciliation (2 Corinthians 5:18), admonishing Christians to be reconciled with God (2 Corinthians 5:20)?

The answer is post-baptismal sin. This is the elephant in the bible Christian’s living room. Christ opened the gates of heaven for us. He does not carry us through those gates. We must do that ourselves by persevering to the end, by running the race so as to win, by holding fast to our hope and by being reconciled to God for our post-baptismal sin.

Take the log out of your own eye before taking the splinter out of the Catholic eye.

You have mistaken confidence for arrogance.

Define happy.

Even if assurance of salvation somehow made you ‘happy’, that doesn’t make it true. This isn’t the line of argument you should be taking, Christians should prove their points with scripture, not sentimentality.

Even the great Apostle Paul taught the possibility of losing his own salvation. 1 Corinthians 9:27 - “No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.”

And we are called in Philippians 2:12 to work out our salvation with “fear and trembling”.

What does Christ’s resurrection offer us? Hope. We have hope of our salvation, and a confident, wonderful hope at that!

Where is our happiness, our joy, founded? In Christ. By focussing and being in and with Christ, that is where we find happiness. Joy, in fact, is one of the fruits of the Spirit. If you love the Lord and have faith in Him, how can you not be happy? Why would you even linger on some risk of losing your salvation? Our joy is founded in the Lord, and we will rejoice in Him for He is the author of our salvation. Salvation is both a present reality and a beautiful journey, as the Lord transforms us “from glory to glory” into His image (2 Corinthians 3:18).

:thumbsup: For purposes of clarification for the OP (I’m sure you already know this po18guy), the ability to persevere to the end, and indeed, even the desire to do so, all originate with God through the grace that He freely gives to us in order that we may do what otherwise would not be possible for us as humans, apart from God. Therefore, we are not “relying on human action and beliefs, etc, which frankly, we can’t rely on.” Rather, we rely on God and the promises and graces he has given to us through Jesus Christ and by the power of the Holy Spirit.

:thumbsup:

Because of my Faith in Him, He Who knows and loves me best.

(Thank goodness for the quote option! :wink: )

OP seems to assume that God is now obligated to save him/her. Christ told Satan “It is written that you shall not put the Lord, your God to the test.” What the OP, Calvinists, and all OSAS “Kool-Aid” drinkers fail to realize is that our salvation is 100% dependent upon God’s grace - yet we must cooperate with that grace.

Matthew 25:14-30, which also applies to other situations, teaches us here. We must do something, take action, with the grace that God has given us.

No argument here. It’s just when you said, “He does not carry us through those gates. We must do that ourselves by persevering to the end . . .” I could almost hear the OP saying “that is works based salvation, unbiblical, etc.” So I just wanted to point out that we believe that the ability to “do that ourselves” is also a result of God’s grace.

Honestly, I will never understand why there is such vehement objection on the part of some protestants to the idea that God allows us to choose (on a continual basis) whether or not to accept His free offer of grace and follow Him. As if a parent allowing his child to decide something on her own somehow reduces the parent’s authority over the child.

Well, no matter which of the innumerable versions of OSAS the OP believes in, they are in absolute error. It is good that they are here where they stand a chance of learning the revealed truth, disguised dismissively as “Catholic arrogance”!

Isn’t it odd that those who smugly sit in the self-assurance of their salvation call us (who have no such self-assurance), “arrogant”! Apparently, OSAS gives one the grace to save themselves. Have they not read and pondered on Matthew 7:21-23? Possibly not.

Whatever you call it, as the Church teaches, we are saved by God’s grace, but we cannot simply sit in our lounge chair and wait for Him to do everything for us. We have to get out of that chair at some point. If OP thinks that is works salvation, then reason and logic have failed them completely.

As well, OSAS types tend to believe in the “irresistible grace” fantasy that suddenly appeared on this earth 1,500-some years after Christ.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.