We can't get rid of our principal and the Archdiocese won't help!

I am a parent of a small parish. I am a member of our Parish Council.I have had at least one child in our school for over 10 years under this principal. For the last 8 years, we have had parents trying to do something about our administrator. We have had a new priest in charge of our parish for about 1 1/2 years. It is the first time he has been the head of a parish though and I believe he is overwhelmed. We were told by the Archdiocease to document everything, so everyone did. We requested meetings, but no one would come. We just kept documenting. Contracts came around last year and the diocease said that we (Father or who ever) didn’t document it correctly. We had to offer contract again. The only option we had was to ask her to step down. That was done, but of course, she refuse. So again, another year. What can we (parents) do to make sure this doesn’t happen again. We can pull our kids out of school, but this is OUR parish/school not hers. That doesn’t seem right. The children’s education is suffering extremely and nothing can be done. They want our money but we get no help. Please give me some advise.
Thanks.

is there not a school board for the parish school? if not, start one, as that is its major purpose to represent both the parish, the parents, and the school and to advise the pastor and the principal on the mind of the parish. Is there not a parish finance council that assists in hiring, contract and pay decisions about parish staff? If not, there should be it is required.

NO, you the parents cannot get rid of the principal on your own. The pastor has hiring and firing authority. He is advised by the school board and Finance council, but it is his decision. When you say “we” who do you mean? all parents? some parents? school board? PTO organization? some parishioners? all parishioners?
What attempts have been made to meet with this pastor and document your issues?

I would be a lot more pro-active if the situation is as dire as you seem to think.

you the parents cannot get rid of the principal on your own. The pastor has hiring and firing authority. He is advised by the school board and Finance council, but it is his decision. When you say “we” who do you mean? all parents? some parents? school board? PTO organization? some parishioners? all parishioners?
What attempts have been made to meet with this pastor and document your issues?

Thank you for responding. Yes, there is a School Board, and a Finance Committe both committee’s are “advisory” committees to Parish council and ultimately Father. When she was asked to step down it was with 100% aggreement from all committees. When I reference “we” I mean, parents, committees, etc…supposedly even our priest says that he is working with us. It is the Archdiocease that keeps saying that we need to keep documenting and having meetings. I think they are trying to get her to see and admit that she is not capable of doing the job on her own and just step down, but that will never happen.

Father has the authority to fire and hire whom he pleases in his parish school :slight_smile:
At least that is how it works in NJ!

The president of the PTA at the school and the pastor of the parish should have a meeting with the head of the diocesan schools to determine what documentation is required to support a dismissal of the school principal. If the diocese said the documentation is not properly done, they must be able to help you get it right. Get the help you need from the diocese and perhaps a lawyer who handles labor relations cases.

Matthew

When you figure it out then fill me in. We ended up pulling our children and are now home-schooling.

You shouldn’t have to involve the archdiocese at all.:confused: Where we live, the pastor does all the hiring and firing on his won without comment from the diocese. If Father’s on your side, then this shouldn’t be an issue.

If the diocese is involved, and requiring documentation, it sounds like there is concern over litigation if she is relieved. Not sure of your state, but in many states, one can be relieved of duty for no cause, unless a contract stipulates otherwise. If she’s working under no written contract, there is nothing other than fear of a lawsuit (discrimination for instance), that should hold her in a role she is not suited for.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.