We HAVE to go to mass?

I was just curious. Why do we have to go to a Catholic Mass to fulfill our Sunday obligation? Like, why not a protestant service if it is the most convienient place to go at that time?

Just wondering what the reason is behind this. Thanks.

[quote=Franz]I was just curious. Why do we have to go to a Catholic Mass to fulfill our Sunday obligation? Like, why not a protestant service if it is the most convienient place to go at that time?

[/quote]

This has nothing to do with it but back when I was a Protestant, we went to a Presbyterian church on a Saturday evening! That church actually had Saturday night services!!

[quote=Franz]I was just curious. Why do we have to go to a Catholic Mass to fulfill our Sunday obligation? Like, why not a protestant service if it is the most convienient place to go at that time?

[/quote]

Do you mean to say a Protestant service is as good as a Catholic one? I hope not. There is no comparision between worshipping God in the Mass and recieving his body, blood, soul, and divinity in the Eucharist. Protestants do not have this.

The reason for the Sunday obligation is that the sabaath was changed to sunday. We are to “keep holy the Sabaath”. This is done by going to Church and worshipping together.

Blessings

[/quote]

Why can’t we vote to choose the President of the United States in a French or German election?

We are commanded to attend Mass – which is to say the Liturgy of the Word and the Liturgy of the Eucharist.

Protestant churches do not have the Magisterium, so they cannot validly teach. They do not have the Apostolic Succession, and cannot validly ordain – so they cannot perform the Miracle of the Mass, transforming the bread and wine nito the Body and Blood.

No - we don’t HAVE to go to Mass. **Faithful Catholics GET TO GO TO MASS and CELEBRATE THE EURCHARIST with their FAMILY…:dancing: **

We go to Mass to fullfill our Sunday Obligation and not a Protestant service because Protestant services are not valid in the eyes of the Mother Church. These are not BAD but their communion - if they have one - is not a valid Eurcharistic celebration, the Bible they read is not a complete Bible and the liturgy they use is not Sacred.
Besides, you don’t chose where to go based on convenience. How convenient do you think it was for Jesus to allow Himself to be nailed to the cross for your salvation? Maybe you can go the extra mile and inconvenience yourself to show your gratitude?:wink:

[/quote]

…basically due to obedience to the commandment to keep holy the sabbath…

God calls us to be with him for approx 1hr every week, not a chore… and he is speaking of the church he started… not one started by man…

Protestant services are wonderful. . .for Protestants. But Catholics do not have “services”. . .they have the Sacrifice of the Mass and the Sacrament of the Eucharist.

I once said (curmudgeon wannabe that I am) that there seem to be an AWFUL lot of people who follow not the gospel of Christ but the gospel of CONVENIENCE.

We don’t go to a given Mass (and I daresay that most devout Protestant don’t go to a given service) because it is CONVENIENT, but because we desire to worship GOD. . .because we are thinking of GOD rather than our “important” selves.

RCIA is very comprehensive, and I’m sure that you learned a great deal, but heck, I’m a cradle Catholic and I STILL learn more, deepen my faith knowledge all the time. Don’t feel bad for not knowing “everything” about the faith, be glad that since you have a question, you went to the right place (these forums) to help you find out the answer.

And be sure to say a prayer for your fellow Catholics (and non Catholics too!) at Mass (Pentecost Sunday, yahoo!) this weekend! You’ll be in my prayers.

[quote=Paris Blues]This has nothing to do with it but back when I was a Protestant, we went to a Presbyterian church on a Saturday evening! That church actually had Saturday night services!!
[/quote]

Sunday begins at dusk on Saturday night unitl dusk on Sunday night. So mass at 5:30pm on Saturday counts as a Sunday mass.

Ok, I should clarify myself. I love mass, I live mass, however I recognize that I have friends that are not Catholic. They attend Protestant churches and sometimes I go with them out of respect, however that doesn’t fulfill my Sunday Obligation, even though I am worshipping God and keeping the Sabbath Holy. I’m not suggesting that it is on par with the Catholic Mass.

Does that make sense?

Glad you clarified, Franz.
It is very nice that you accompany your friends. . .so let them have the privilege of accompanying YOU to Mass, before or after you’ve joined them for THEIR services. That way, you have fulfilled your obligation (though personally I find it a JOYFUL service, not a burden) and you have shown Christian brotherhood in both giving your attendence to them and accepting THEIR attendence for you.

Or, to put it another way, you have the great opportunity of weekly Mass attendence, participating in the ongoing sacrifice and redemption and partaking of the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity, of Jesus Christ. . .and, as an EXTRA, as an OPTION, you can choose to also attend a Protestant service.

Like going out to dinner and having a nicely balanced meal and a dessert. You get everything you need at the meal, and you don’t NEED the dessert. If you had the dessert alone, you might get SOME nutritional value but you sure wouldn’t get the proper nutrition and over time you might suffer physical complications. Yet, the dessert in itself is not necessarily a BAD thing (it might be a nice fresh fruit). . .but it is not equal to or comparable to the lovely full and balanced meal that you DO need.

Mass is the meal; your participation at your friend’s services is dessert. Strictly optional, not necessary but probably enjoyed now and then, not as nutritional yet related in a lesser but still “good” way.

[quote=Franz]Ok, I should clarify myself. I love mass, I live mass, however I recognize that I have friends that are not Catholic. They attend Protestant churches and sometimes I go with them out of respect, however that doesn’t fulfill my Sunday Obligation, even though I am worshipping God and keeping the Sabbath Holy. I’m not suggesting that it is on par with the Catholic Mass.

Does that make sense?
[/quote]

Not a particle of sense.

You should be able to do both. What I mean is, you can do a Saturday night mass or early Sunday mass and still go to your friends church on occasion with them.
But to me they should be willing to attend mass with you sometimes too…out of respect.

You can’t receive “Communion” at a Protestant church though. Also I wouldn’t go if they are preaching anything Anti-Catholic, or against what the church teaches. don’t go, just tell your friend it’s against your beliefs.

[quote=Franz]Ok, I should clarify myself. I love mass, I live mass, however I recognize that I have friends that are not Catholic. They attend Protestant churches and sometimes I go with them out of respect, however that doesn’t fulfill my Sunday Obligation, even though I am worshipping God and keeping the Sabbath Holy. I’m not suggesting that it is on par with the Catholic Mass.

Does that make sense?
[/quote]

All do respect to Protestants and their sincerity.
It is not the Mass. It is not worshipping in spirit and in truth.

John.4
[list=1]
]23] But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in* spirit and truth**, for such the Father seeks to worship him.
]24] God is* spirit**, and those who worship him MUST worship in spirit and truth."
[/list]

[quote=Tantum ergo]Glad you clarified, Franz.
It is very nice that you accompany your friends. . .so let them have the privilege of accompanying YOU to Mass, before or after you’ve joined them for THEIR services. That way, you have fulfilled your obligation (though personally I find it a JOYFUL service, not a burden) and you have shown Christian brotherhood in both giving your attendence to them and accepting THEIR attendence for you.

Or, to put it another way, you have the great opportunity of weekly Mass attendence, participating in the ongoing sacrifice and redemption and partaking of the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity, of Jesus Christ. . .and, as an EXTRA, as an OPTION, you can choose to also attend a Protestant service.

Like going out to dinner and having a nicely balanced meal and a dessert. You get everything you need at the meal, and you don’t NEED the dessert. If you had the dessert alone, you might get SOME nutritional value but you sure wouldn’t get the proper nutrition and over time you might suffer physical complications. Yet, the dessert in itself is not necessarily a BAD thing (it might be a nice fresh fruit). . .but it is not equal to or comparable to the lovely full and balanced meal that you DO need.

Mass is the meal; your participation at your friend’s services is dessert. Strictly optional, not necessary but probably enjoyed now and then, not as nutritional yet related in a lesser but still “good” way.
[/quote]

Thank you Tatum. I get your Logic, and I understand it, although I don’t disagree. What I do disagree with though, is that my Sunday Obligation is not fulfilled, even though I’m keeping the Sabbath Holy. My protestant friends have come to Mass before, it’s not the issue really.

How can I explain that this is an obligation that I must follow or my soul is at stake because it would be a mortal sin, and their service isn’t good enough???

I guess that although I agree that the Mass is more reverant, sacred, beautiful, fulfilling (for the Catholic that believes in the Real Presence), I can’t agree that I’m not keeping holy the Sabbath byt attending their service. It’s only my opinion, so please don’t shoot me.

[quote=mercygate]Not a particle of sense.
[/quote]

Ok, everyone else seems to understand…what don’t you, I think I was pretty clear as far as my reasoning, I’m looking for a better explanation.

[quote=mercygate]Not a particle of sense.
[/quote]

Ok, everyone else seemed to understand, what is it that you don’t?

Franz

If for nothing more, we do it because of the authorities that God placed over us. Because of the binding and losing authority over us given to them by God.

Heb 13:17 - Obey and submit to your leaders who have concern for your souls.

But I must ask how can one know that the Eucharist is what we claim and put sabaath holiness and attendance of Protestant services in any kind of a bucket together, knowing what we know. God bless them for what they know but you know better. I have to be a bit strong. I see your last post as bordering on indifferentism which is condemned in Dominus Iesus.

God bless

[quote=AmberDale]You should be able to do both. What I mean is, you can do a Saturday night mass or early Sunday mass and still go to your friends church on occasion with them.
But to me they should be willing to attend mass with you sometimes too…out of respect.

You can’t receive “Communion” at a Protestant church though. Also I wouldn’t go if they are preaching anything Anti-Catholic, or against what the church teaches. don’t go, just tell your friend it’s against your beliefs.
[/quote]

Thats true…I know I can’t and wont take their communion which is basically making a mockery of Jesus’s words by proclaiming it to be a symbol…They are pretty general with their preaching, nothing particularly anti-catholic.

[quote=thessalonian]Franz

If for nothing more, we do it because of the authorities that God placed over us. Because of the binding and losing authority over us given to them by God.

Heb 13:17 - Obey and submit to your leaders who have concern for your souls.

But I must ask how can one know that the Eucharist is what we claim and put sabaath holiness and attendance of Protestant services in any kind of a bucket together, knowing what we know. God bless them for what they know but you know better. I have to be a bit strong. I see your last post as bordering on indifferentism which is condemned in Dominus Iesus.

God bless
[/quote]

Thanks Thess…definitely not indifferent when it comes to the Eucharist or comparison between a Mass and a Worship service. It’s not in the same bucket, but either one is keeping Holy the Sabbath.

The scripture you gave is wonderful and I will keep that in mind, but I also understand the binding authority of the Church…I’m just questioning things I don’t properly understand and subsequently do not agree totally. I’m looking to see how I can explain this without offending them, and some of the above I can use.

Ok, let’s try this. It’s an imperfect analogy but something to think on. I am sure you brush your teeth every day. Now that certainly is not bad to do. But I wouldn’t recommend skipping the showers because you brush your teeth.

The Mass is like a shower. The Eucharist forgives venial sin. Protestant services do not.

As for explaining it to them. I think you just lay it out there in gentleness of course, clearly expressing what the Mass is. We do them no good by watering down the truth. As for a Protestant service and keeping holy the sabaath, we will let God judge that. We however are not keeping holy the Sabaath by thier services because we are bound by a higher law. Luke 12, “to the man who knew, he will be treated with the unbelievers, but to the one who did not know, he will recieve but few lashes”. We are accountable for what we have been given. They are accountalbe for what they have been given. Your crossing the two it seems.

Blessings

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.