We HAVE to go to mass?

Keep in mind that offense can lead to conversion. My wife was offended the first time I discussed John 6 with her when she was protestant and we were dating. She was mainly offended because she didn’t have a good answer. Then after we were married she became angry when she heard Scott Hahn’s conversion story. It offended her but it was because she didn’t have an answer once again and there was such a ring of truth to it. At the time she told me she couldn’t stand to listen to his voice. But later confided that his message offended her because she didn’t have an answer for alot of what he said. Now she is Catholic. Paul was standing by being offended when Stephen railed against the Jews. He became and apostle later.

Blessings

0 Likes

[quote=Franz]Ok, everyone else seems to understand…what don’t you, I think I was pretty clear as far as my reasoning, I’m looking for a better explanation.
[/quote]

God touches down on this earth in a very special way… and he comes to see you… your attendence is “Required” assuming no extra ordinary circumstances…

in fact the sin is mortal to skip mass without a valid reason… watch father corapi the next time you get a chance… he can explain more completely …

Peace:thumbsup:

0 Likes

[quote=Franz]…How can I explain that this is an obligation that I must follow or my soul is at stake because it would be a mortal sin, and their service isn’t good enough???
I guess that although I agree that the Mass is more reverant, sacred, beautiful, fulfilling (for the Catholic that believes in the Real Presence), I can’t agree that I’m not keeping holy the Sabbath byt attending their service. It’s only my opinion, so please don’t shoot me.
[/quote]

The Eucharist makes the difference between a Protestant “worship service” and the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass like the difference between night and day. It’s like comparing apples to oranges. At the mass, heaven comes down to touch earth - we worship the Lord - body, blood, soul and divinity - with choirs of angels and saints. This, I’m sorry to say for our well intentioned separated brethren, just ain’t the case in the Protestant world.

When you start to see the mass as it really is, all personal dragging of the feet stop…you start to look for ways to go to mass more often. The weekend won’t come soon enough :wink: !

All that being said, the obligation of Catholics to attend mass is set forth by the Church, who have the powers to bind and loose given to them by Christ Himself. All the difficulties you may have is secondary…the one’s with the authroity given to them by Christ have “bound this” …so it’s bound in heaven.

The old Baltimore Catechismlays it out plain and simple:
**279. Whence has the Catholic Church the right to make laws? **
The Catholic Church has the right to make laws from Jesus Christ, who said to the apostles, the first bishops of His Church: “Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound also in heaven.”
*Amen I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound also in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed also in heaven. (Matthew 18:18) *
**280. By whom is this right to make laws exercised? **
This right to make laws is exercised by the bishops, the successors of the apostles, and especially by the Pope, who as the successor of the chief of the apostles, Saint Peter, has the right to make laws for the Universal Church.
*And I say to thee, thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. (Matthew 16:18) *

Peace in Christ,

DustinsDad

0 Likes

Thanks everyone for your help, especially Thess!!!

0 Likes

[quote=Franz]Thanks everyone for your help, especially Thess!!!
[/quote]

Your welcome. Glad to help. :smiley:

0 Likes

Hey Franz,
Wait 'til some SDA bashes ya for the Sunday thing? They ignore that the NT passages that show that the early church in Acts of the Apostles ceased going to temple on Saturday and we began to meet on Sundays in honor of the resurrection. But they don’t see that…

Our Sunday obligation is right in line with the 3rd comandment.
Pax tecum,

0 Likes

[quote=Franz]Thank you Tatum. I get your Logic, and I understand it, although I don’t disagree. What I do disagree with though, is that my Sunday Obligation is not fulfilled, even though I’m keeping the Sabbath Holy. My protestant friends have come to Mass before, it’s not the issue really.

How can I explain that this is an obligation that I must follow or my soul is at stake because it would be a mortal sin, and their service isn’t good enough???

I guess that although I agree that the Mass is more reverant, sacred, beautiful, fulfilling (for the Catholic that believes in the Real Presence), I can’t agree that I’m not keeping holy the Sabbath byt attending their service. It’s only my opinion, so please don’t shoot me.
[/quote]

You’re confusion comes from the fact that you do not have the obligation properly framed. The obligation is not “to keep the Sabbath Holy”. The obligation is to attend Mass.

From the Catechism (bold is added):

The Sunday obligation
2180 The precept of the Church specifies the law of the Lord more precisely: “On Sundays and other holy days of obligation the faithful are bound to participate in the Mass.”[117] “The precept of participating in the Mass is satisfied by assistance at a Mass which is celebrated anywhere in a Catholic rite either on the holy day or on the evening of the preceding day.”[118]

2181 The Sunday Eucharist is the foundation and confirmation of all Christian practice. For this reason the faithful are obliged to participate in the Eucharist on days of obligation, unless excused for a serious reason (for example, illness, the care of infants) or dispensed by their own pastor.[119] **Those who deliberately fail in this obligation commit a grave sin. **

2182 Participation in the communal celebration of the Sunday Eucharist is a testimony of belonging and of being faithful to Christ and to his Church. The faithful give witness by this to their communion in faith and charity. Together they testify to God’s holiness and their hope of salvation. They strengthen one another under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

0 Likes

It seems to me that evryone is tiptoeing around the issue. It is really nice if one participates in the Mass because they want to, but life isn’t like that for some Catholics. The Commandment of the Lord is “Keep holy the Lord’s Day” which because Christ rose on Sunday is considered by the Catholic Church and most protestants as Sunday. The Catholic Church also has some “Commandments of the Church” which bind under pain of mortal sin. One of these is “To attend Mass on Sunday and on the days appointed.” The days appointed are the Holy Days of Obligation the list of which varies somewhat in various parts of the world. Since shortly after Vatican II this obligation can be met by attending a Vigil Mass for the Sunday which is a mass that starts after four o’clock on the evening before. The Church has the authority to bind Catholics under pain of mortal sin to certain circumstances spelled out by the Pope and Bishops. It is certainly better if one wants to go, but lacking that it is a mortal sin to intentionally miss the Sunday obligation. Simple as that!

0 Likes

[quote=Franz]How can I explain that this is an obligation that I must follow or my soul is at stake because it would be a mortal sin, and their service isn’t good enough???
[/quote]

It may sound offensive, but for a Catholic, their services really aren’t good enough.

Jesus instituted the Eucharist and commanded to his Church to “do this in remembrance of me.” And for the new covenant, this became the way of fulfilling the commandment to keep holy the sabbath day. (And yes, the Church changed the Sabbath to Sunday.)

For more than a thousand years, long before Protestant services were ever heard of, this was (and remains) the primary way that Christians fulfill their Sunday obligation to worship. We are privileged to be present at Christ’s own sacrifice–which effected our salvation–every Sunday. Isn’t that a good enough reason?

0 Likes

You’re a right - as Catholics we practice obedience as a virtue and a spiritual axiom. We keep holy the Lord’s Day by fullfiling that obligation.
Franz, you did right by asking the question. I think you kinda knew the answer already. I know I don’t like to “put down” any other denominations practices - unless they are outright goofy or illegal - so I usually answer my Protestant brothers and sisters by saying “Our Tradition for 2000 years has been to gather as a Catholic Christian community and celebrate the Eurcharist together. We are bound by that Tradition and to ignore it is considered a sin”.

If they say anything at all I tell them it is in the Catechism and nothing in the Catechism goes against the Bible.

:wink:

0 Likes

[quote=1ke]You’re confusion comes from the fact that you do not have the obligation properly framed. The obligation is not “to keep the Sabbath Holy”. The obligation is to attend Mass.

From the Catechism (bold is added):

The Sunday obligation
2180 The precept of the Church specifies the law of the Lord more precisely: “On Sundays and other holy days of obligation the faithful are bound to participate in the Mass.”[117] “The precept of participating in the Mass is satisfied by assistance at a Mass which is celebrated anywhere in a Catholic rite either on the holy day or on the evening of the preceding day.”[118]

2181 The Sunday Eucharist is the foundation and confirmation of all Christian practice. For this reason the faithful are obliged to participate in the Eucharist on days of obligation, unless excused for a serious reason (for example, illness, the care of infants) or dispensed by their own pastor.[119] **Those who deliberately fail in this obligation commit a grave sin. **

2182 Participation in the communal celebration of the Sunday Eucharist is a testimony of belonging and of being faithful to Christ and to his Church. The faithful give witness by this to their communion in faith and charity. Together they testify to God’s holiness and their hope of salvation. They strengthen one another under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
[/quote]

ahhhh, interesting, thanks.

0 Likes

closed #32
0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.