We Might become God?

Hello,

I have been responding to a comment posted on a news story talking about the Pope falling during the Christmas Mass. His comment was posted as:

From the official catechism

CATECHISM OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
SECOND EDITION
-----------------------------------------------------------------PART ONE
THE PROFESSION OF FAITH
SECTION TWO
THE PROFESSION OF THE CHRISTIAN FAITH

CHAPTER TWO
I BELIEVE IN JESUS CHRIST, THE ONLY SON OF GOD

ARTICLE 3
“HE WAS CONCEIVED BY THE POWER OF THE HOLY SPIRIT, AND BORN OF THE VIRGIN MARY”

Paragraph 1. The Son of God Became Man

I. WHY DID THE WORD BECOME FLESH?

#460 “For the Son of God became man so that we might become God”

scborromeo.org/ccc/p122a3p1.htm

So this is taken out of context, accusing Catholics with the same interpertation as Mormons.

When you read the full paragraph: 460 The Word became flesh to make us “partakers of the divine nature”:78 "For this is why the Word became man, and the Son of God became the Son of man: so that man, by entering into communion with the Word and thus receiving divine sonship, might become a son of God."79 "For the Son of God became man so that we might become God."80 "The only-begotten Son of God, wanting to make us sharers in his divinity, assumed our nature, so that he, made man, might make men gods."81

Now from what I understand out of this is we are a part of Jesus, who is God. We might become god, is simply saying we are in communion with god, meaning we are one or as someone put it: Jesus is the vine, we are the branches.

I am just trying to figure out how to word this, I need some help. Can anyone help?

Thank you!

460 The Word became flesh to make us “partakers of the divine nature”:78 "For this is why the Word became man, and the Son of God became the Son of man: so that man, by entering into communion with the Word and thus receiving divine sonship, might become a son of God."79 "For the Son of God became man so that we might become God."80 "The only-begotten Son of God, wanting to make us sharers in his divinity, assumed our nature, so that he, made man, might make men gods."81

This is taken from the section of the CCC – I believe in Jesus Christ - the only son of God.

We are “sons of God” THRU ADOPTION when we become partakers of the “divine nature”. Our “becoming God” is through adoption. In Sacred Scripture the angels are also called “sons of God”; so, one cannot read into this more than what’s there. Of course, the ability of taking things out of context is certainly nothing new.

MonFrere

Please understand that I am a lay Catholic and I have not been educated
by the doctrines of the church… but I have been studying my faith for many
years…

The 460 doctrine is a very special one for me… and I have meditated on it
for many years…

When Adam and Eve, lived in the Garden of Eden prior to sinning it is believed that God had allowed his divine nature to live within them along side of their human nature.

When they sinned this part of their nature was removed…

When Jesus came he had a total human and Divine nature… and when he died on
the cross he gave man the right to have that the divine nature back …
this comes first with faith through the Grace of God…

I feel that we have acess to that Divine nature, but it comes to us in doses…
and we can build up our portion of divine nature by emptying out the sin
in our human nature… Sort of like filling a glass with milk as we take out
water to make room for the milk…

we can receive amounts of this Divine nature through the Grace of God
from the sacraments and from prayer…

It can be a very difficult struggle to develope that grace in us…

I think you will find, from reading of the Saints of the church just how
some other men and women were able to grow that divine nature in
them…

Jesus said, that we would be able to not only the same miracles he did
but some of them would be greater than the ones he did…

It is just a matter of Faith… and how much work you are willing to do
by having faith in God to give you more and more of his Divine nature.

Hope this might help you some… but please check with a priest of
someone here who have more knowledge than I have… but these
opinions of mine are what I have been able to understand…

nature to live within them, and

God has many sons and daughters-but He had only one unique Son that was all His own .

Awesome, that makes sense!

I find it odd enough when someone proves the Catholic Church is wrong, its either taken out of context or they are totally trying make it say something it doesn’t.

This was a prime example.

I continue to learn as much as I can everyday, but very careful how to word it. Thank you all for the help on this one.

God Bless and have a Merry Christmas!

Adam and Eve were creatures created by God. They had no divine nature. They were made in Gods image, as we were. Sactifying Grace enables us to share in Gods life.

Luke K & Scoobyshme explained it to me this way and it cleared it up for me

It means we partake in the divinity of Christ. We don’t become gods unto ourselves as if we have god-like powers separate from God, but our nature does become divine inasmuch as Jesus’ union of human and divine natures allows us to enter into the inner life of the Trinity. There is absolutely no divinity apart from the One, Triune God, and all we can do is be a part of it.

“On that day you will realize that I am in my Father and you are in me and I in you…Whoever loves me will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our dwelling with him.” -John 14: 20,23

And

I might add that Jesus refers to Himself as the Vine and us as the branches. The branches are not the vine, but united to it. This process of unification begins in this life. When we die and go to heaven, we are not less, but more united with the Vine. But we are not separate vines.

LDS’s believe that Jesus was once just a mere human like us and was “good enough” in a previous life to become God on this planet. They believe that we can do likewise, i.e., be “good enough” in this life to become “God” on another planet. For this reason (and others), they really aren’t Christian, since they believe in a different Jesus than historical Christianity.

In the Eastern Churches this process is called Theosis. In our rite it is called sanctifying grace. We do not change our human nature for the divine, but God does raise our human nature to levels where we can participate in the divine life of the Holy Trinity. We do not become gods in the sense of becoming divine, but we are enabled to live in relationship with the divine persons of the trinity. :slight_smile:

No you are wrong, you got the adoption idea from Paul. John 1:12-13 tells us clearly that we are become begotten children of the most high.

It could happen to you…

There is hope for the world, even catholics can recognize that the new catechism is poorly formed an needs to be rewritten!

Clearly?

Douay-Rheims . 12 But as many as received him, he gave them power to be made the sons of God, to them that believe in his name. 13 Who are born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Ver. 12. He gave to them power to be made the adoptive sons of God, and heirs of the kingdom of heaven. They are made the children of God by believing and by a new spiritual birth in the sacrament of baptism, not of blood; (literally, not of bloods) not by the will, and desires of the flesh, not by the will of men, nor by human generation, as children are first born of their natural parents, but of God, by faith and divine grace. (Witham)

MonFrere

WHO WERE BORN OF GOD.

Its in there if you can read…

It’s not a reading problem. It’s an interpretation problem. The difference here is the difference in the eternally begotten Son of God in comparison to the scriptures saying we are also “sons” of God. There’s an obvious difference. I don’t see a conflict between St. John’s gospel and St. Paul; rather, if anything, a clarification, as the quote from the Haydock’s Biblical Commentary also indicated.

MonFrere

Paul was very intellegent, but he was always a heretic right out of the gate. You should never replace the truth of the gospels with the slogans created by Paul…

Perhaps you should ask for an audience with the Holy Father? I’m not aware of any Church leader calling St. Paul a heretic; especially since the early Church accepted both the 4 gospels and Paul’s epistles in the canon well before the canon was even formally established.

MonFrere

:frowning: Methinks thou hast need of correction.

The Office of Readings for the Feast of St. Stephen, Dec. 26, includes a portion of sermon by St. Fulgentius of Ruspe which offers this on our divinization:

". . .Our king, despite his exalted majesty, came in humility for our sake; yet he did not come empty-handed. He brought his soldiers a great gift that not only enriched them but also made them unconquerable in battle, for it was the gift of love, which was to bring men to share in his divinity. He gave of his bounty, yet without any loss to himself. In a marvelous way he changed into wealth the poverty of his faithful followers while remaining in full possession of his own inexhaustable riches. "

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.