We must be saints?!?!

I was wondering,

I’ve heard with my own ears that the CC says that we try to “be saints!”. Now, I understand that ALL saints go to Heaven and all that but I’m taking it like it’s not the kind of saint like St. Francis or St. Bernadette or am I mistaken? I also heard that to be a saint, you have to at least perform two miracles? What? Am I misunderstanding the term “saint”?

Could anyone please explain this to me so that I can understand? :o

everyone who lives a virtuous life and then dies and goes to heaven is a saint. You can’t get to heaven unless you are a saint. If you are not a saint when you die, unless you completely and utterly reject God, you are allowed to undergo purification in purgatory to cleanse away all that is not virtue and holiness, and then you too are admitted to heave, where you are a saint. Not all the saints in heaven are known by name or are known widely enough to be venerated on earth. Canonized saints are just that, those on the canon (list) of saints whom we know definitely are in heaven because of their virtue and holiness. They are models for us in how to become saints. The miracles are evidence of their virtue.

[quote=Paris Blues]I was wondering,

I’ve heard with my own ears that the CC says that we try to “be saints!”. Now, I understand that ALL saints go to Heaven and all that but I’m taking it like it’s not the kind of saint like St. Francis or St. Bernadette or am I mistaken? I also heard that to be a saint, you have to at least perform two miracles? What? Am I misunderstanding the term “saint”?

[/quote]

[quote=Paris Blues]I was wondering,

[/quote]

We’re supposed to become saints. Everyone who makes it to Heaven is a saint, like Saint Francis or Saint Bernadette inasmuch as they, too, are saints, though I doubt many of us are saints like Saint Francis or Saint Bernadette in realistic terms.

The two miracles (which is a matter that has changed and can be changed, by the authority of the Holy Father) is what the Church looks for to declare someone a saint (undoubtedly in Heaven and worthy of our attention, emmulation, and veneration). The Church knows that there are many saints in Heaven who are unknown to the Church Militant (indeed, they probably outnumber the declared saints). That’s why we celebrate All Saints Day…they ought to have a feast, too.

I was responding while Puzzleannie was posting.

What she said!

Oh I see now. Thanks!

So if we ask God to help us be a saint, will He give us the grace to do saintly stuff?

[quote=Paris Blues]So if we ask God to help us be a saint, will He give us the grace to do saintly stuff?
[/quote]

Well, yes, since that’s the whole reason we’re even here at all. But we have to be generous in responding to those graces and seeking to do his will. That’s where most people get stuck, in one way or another.

[quote=Paris Blues]So if we ask God to help us be a saint, will He give us the grace to do saintly stuff?
[/quote]

The most frightening and hope-filling quote I have ever heard is this:

“You are not now a saint for only one reason: you do not wholly want to be.”

If we give our whole hearts to God 100% of the time with 100% of our effort (which we can all do), we would be saints on Earth. The only reason we are not each saints on Earth is because we are not trying to give God 100% of our time with 100% of our efforts. Meditate on this, and you will see the wisdom. Be careful in deep meditation on this, however, and be strengthened by Christ and do not be overcome by despair.

God Bless,
RyanL

ParisBlues:

God gives us the grace. But grace builds on nature. He gives us what we can take. Imagine if he gave us the insight of St Thomas whom after writing the Summa saw the Beatific Vision and could hardly lift a pen for a long time. We might not be able to handle it. He gives us gently what we need and what we can take. As we expand and grow in virtues the more God gives.

The beatitudes hint on this.

Blessed are the pure of heart for they shall see God.
Blessed are the poor in spirit for they shall inherit the earth

If our nature is tempered and mortified, then we receive the grace. Notice that it almost reads like an IF, THEN statement.

IF you are pure of heart, THEN you shall see God.
IF you are poor in spirit, THEN you shall inherit the earth.

St. Josemaria always said that we need to think of the saints as people like you and me that grew and grew in virtues. If our absolute goal is heaven, then we have to accept the idea that we have to imitate Christ as closely in our places and sanctify all that we can. That’s what the saints did.

in XT

Father Thomas Dubay is probably the best person I know of that can clearly explain the universal call to holiness. He has had many TV series on EWTN. Most of them have been retired and are no longer on the air, but the audio of some of his series is available for free on the web.

**Saints: A Closer Look: **

ewtn.com/vondemand/audio/seriessearchprog.asp?seriesID=7044&T1=

I would suggesting listening to one 30-minute program at a time, at your leisure. (starting with the first program)

[quote=Paris Blues]Oh I see now. Thanks!

So if we ask God to help us be a saint, will He give us the grace to do saintly stuff?
[/quote]

exactly right, in fact, unless we ask God for help we will never become saints due to our own efforts, as Jesus said, all things are possible with God, but saintliness is impossible without God’s help.

[quote=puzzleannie]exactly right, in fact, unless we ask God for help we will never become saints due to our own efforts, as Jesus said, all things are possible with God, but saintliness is impossible without God’s help.
[/quote]

:yup: All growth in holiness is dependent upon the grace of God and our response to His grace.

Correct me if I’m wrong but while we are are called to be saints, it might not be God’s will that we are recognized as saints here on earth. To attempt to live a holy life with the intention of becoming a canonized saint seems like it would be a sin of pride/vanity.

We should all strive to become great saints and leave it up to God whether or not the world becomes aware of it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.