"...we must still say with the saints: 'De Maria numquam satis' ..."

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

1. And yet in truth we must still say with the saints: “De Maria numquam satis” ( Latin words = “Concerning Mary, there is never enough”) We have still not praised, exalted, honoured, loved and served Mary adequately. She is worthy of even more praise, respect, love and service.

2. Moreover, we should repeat after the Holy Spirit, “All the glory of the king’s daughter is within”, meaning that all the external glory which heaven and earth vie with each other to give her is nothing compared to what she has received interiorly from her Creator, namely, a glory unknown to insignificant creatures like us, who cannot penetrate into the secrets of the king.

3. Finally, we must say in the words of the apostle Paul, “Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor has the heart of man understood” the beauty, the grandeur, the excellence of Mary, who is indeed a miracle of miracles of grace, nature and glory. “If you wish to understand the Mother,” says a saint, “then understand the Son. She is a worthy Mother of God.” Hic taceat omnis lingua : Here let every tongue be silent.

4. My heart has dictated with special joy all that I have written to show that Mary has been unknown up till now, and that that is one of the reasons why Jesus Christ is not known as he should be. If then, as is certain, the knowledge and the kingdom of Jesus Christ must come into the world, it can only be as a necessary consequence of the knowledge and reign of Mary. She who first gave him to the world will establish his kingdom in the world.

Today I’ve jumped to the end of St. Louis De Montfort’s “Introduction” to his book on “True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin” to help us all get ready for our 33 Day journey of Preparation for Total Consecration – either for renewal on Mar. 25 or to pray this Act of Consecration for the first time.

God willling on Feb. 20 I’ll give an overview of the programe and Day 1 will be Feb. 21. Please let us pray for one another, for the Church and for all in most need of God’s Mercy.

2 Likes

Here is Pope Pius XI in His encyclical on the Council of Ephesus:

1. From this dogma of the divine maternity, as from the outpouring of a hidden spring, flow forth the singular grace of Mary and her dignity, which is the highest after God. Nay more, as Aquinas says admirably: “The Blessed Virgin, from this that she is the Mother of God, has a certain infinite dignity, from the infinite good which is God.” (Summ. Theo., III. a.6.) Cornelius a Lapide unfolds this and explains it more fully, in these words: “The Blessed Virgin is the Mother of God; therefore she is far more excellent than all the Angels, even the Seraphim and Cherubim. She is the Mother of God; therefore she is most pure and most holy, so that under God no greater purity can be imagined. She is the Mother of God; therefore whatever privilege (in the order of sancti*ing grace) has been granted to any one of the Saints, she obtains it more than all” (In Matt. i. 6).
    https://www.papalencyclicals.net/pius11/p11verit.htm
1 Like

Dear patricius,

Thanks so much for your “faithful heart”, letting us know you read today’s excerpts from St. Louis de Montfort’s “True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin”, and appreciated them.

Thanks also for the beautiful reply adding to St. Louis de Montfort’s words:

“If you wish to understand the Mother,” says a saint, “then understand the Son. She is a worthy Mother of God.” Hic taceat omnis lingua : Here let every tongue be silent.

by your sharing with us the words of Pope Pius XI. How truly the Church has received God’s Wisdom in extolling the Magnificent Mother He has given to us to be our Mother and Model! Saint after Saint, and Pope after Pope, have shared with us their own Love for Jesus through Mary.

I believe the Latin phrase “De Maria numquam sitis” (“Concerning Mary there is never enough” ) is attributed to St. Bernard but utimately It is God Who lets us know how very Pure and Holy our Mother Mary is! :slight_smile: May we join the Saints in singing Mary’s praises – for in so doing, we Praise Him Who created her and chose her to be Mother of the Incarnate Son, and in Whose womb by the power of the Holy Spirit, The Word was Made Flesh!

1 Like

I wish everyone could understand that.

1 Like

Yes, dear patricius, I believe God desires that – even more than we do! He created us in Love for Love. Mary is the one simply human person who perfectly reflects His Love. It is no wonder to me that Jesus would say to John while He was dying on the Cross, and through John to all of us:

Behold your Mother

May we obey Jesus as John did , and take her into our lives as all the saints before us have done. Please let us continue to pray for one another, for the Universal Church, and for all those in most need of God’s Mercy. Let us pray the Rosary especially with attention and devotion and include the prayer Mary taught the 3 Shepherd Children at Fatima:

O My Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of Hell and lead all souls to Heaven, especially those who are in most need of Thy mercy.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.