We Need American Troops

Thank you for liberating my country. Please don’t leave before the job is done.

BY JALAL TALABANI (President of Iraq)
Wednesday, September 21, 2005

BAGHDAD–There is no more important international issue today than the need to defeat the curse of terrorism. And as the first democratically elected president of Iraq, I have a responsibility to ensure that the world’s youngest democracy survives the inherently difficult transition from totalitarianism to pluralism. A transformation of the Iraqi state and Iraqi society is impossible without a sustained commitment of soldiers from the United States and other democracies. To understand why, let us recall how we reached this juncture in history. How is it that Iraq today has a democratically elected head of state, government and Parliament? How it is that members of the most repressed ethnic groups now hold the highest offices of state? All these welcome developments are a result of the courage and vision of President Bush and his allies, British Prime Minister Tony Blair and Australian Prime Minister John Howard, leaders whose commitment of troops to enforce U.N. Security Council resolutions liberated Iraq.

Without foreign intervention, the transition in Iraq would have been from Saddam’s bloodstained hands to his psychopathic offspring. Instead, thanks to American leadership, Iraqis have been given an opportunity of peaceful, participatory politics. Contrary to the new conventional wisdom, Iraq and the history of 20th-century Europe demonstrate that force of arms can implant democracy in the most arid soil.
The rapidity of the democratization and reform of Iraq is staggering. There was no German state for four years after the Second World War. By contrast, Iraq has moved from a centralized, one-man dictatorship to a decentralized, federal republic in half that time.

(Excerpt) Read more at opinionjournal.com

Americans should be proud of what its soldiers have achieved. The presence of foreign forces has prevented a renewed civil war in Iraq–renewed because there has already been a civil war in Iraq. For 35 years, Saddam and his Baath Party made war on the Iraqi people. The liberation of Iraq ended that civil war.

This part is also good to see…

opinionjournal.com

[quote=aimee]The presence of foreign forces has prevented a renewed civil war in Iraq
[/quote]

Not so fast with that judgment. The jury is still out on this one.

Now let me get this right, this is the same president of the country with a government that issues orders to its police in Basra who totally ignore them!!!

Now why do they want troops I wonder? could it be to protect them from their own police force?
smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_29_111.gif

The Holy Father warned against the Iraq War. Now they’re paying the price for ignoring him.

[quote=Arba Sicula]Not so fast with that judgment. The jury is still out on this one.
[/quote]

Not really…

[quote=aimee]Not really…
[/quote]

Of course theres no civil war at the moment, it’s normal for the police to ignore an order from their own government; it’s natural for the Iraqi’s or whomever to explode suicide bombs almost on a daily basis; it’s perfectly normal for Sunni and Shia to be on opposite sides in almost every detail, (must have learned that from the Republicans and Democrats on this forum!); it’s a normal world when Syria sends terrorists regularly over the border.

Helloooo… Earth calling!

smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_1_121.gif

[quote=walstan]Of course theres no civil war at the moment, it’s normal for the police to ignore an order from their own government; it’s natural for the Iraqi’s or whomever to explode suicide bombs almost on a daily basis; it’s perfectly normal for Sunni and Shia to be on opposite sides in almost every detail, (must have learned that from the Republicans and Democrats on this forum!); it’s a normal world when Syria sends terrorists regularly over the border.

Helloooo… Earth calling!

%between%
[/quote]

Earth answering:

That shows the terrorists have infiltrated some police units. That does not prove a civil war.

[quote=aimee]* For 35 years, Saddam and his Baath Party made war on the Iraqi people. *

opinionjournal.com
[/quote]

This was not the justification we were given before the invasion. In fact, in 1984 Saddam was our friend.

I could post that famous picture of Rumsfeld shaking hands with the Hitler de jour, but I think the point is made.

[quote=gnjsdad]This was not the justification we were given before the invasion. In fact, in 1984 Saddam was our friend.

I could post that famous picture of Rumsfeld shaking hands with the Hitler de jour, but I think the point is made.
[/quote]

:rolleyes:

[/quote]

:whistle:

I am not sure it shows that terrorists have infiltrated police units. But certainly factions outside of the government can exert influence over some units of the police and military.

I think calling Iraq a civil war might be going too far. But it seems that Iraq does not yet have a stable government which can claim the people’s loyalty. And that different political/religious factions are scrambling to secure power by any means.

No their government is not stable and they will have to work that out. There are those who want to kill people to gain power and there are those who want to do it by democratic means. The US is assisting those who want to do it by democratic means.

Seems appropriate to me.

[quote=gilliam] The US is assisting those who want to do it by democratic means.

Seems appropriate to me.
[/quote]

And to me as well! :slight_smile:

Its a very uncertain situation which could turn out badly, so everyone… lets pray for a democratic Iraq that will represent and promote the welfare of all its peoples.

[quote=Guar Fan]And to me as well! :slight_smile:

Its a very uncertain situation which could turn out badly, so everyone… lets pray for a democratic Iraq that will represent and promote the welfare of all its peoples.
[/quote]

Everytime I try to speculate what may happen if we let the terrorists win in Iraq, I get very worried. I don’ t think we have any choice here, we must succeed in making sure the terrorists don’t succeed.

[quote=gnjsdad]the Hitler de jour
[/quote]

:smiley: Love that. I haven’t seen that phrase anywhere before.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.