We need to stop complaining about "bad homilies"

Absolutely not. Perhaps it was not apparent to some you were unable to get to mass due to your pain. I am not sure I caught that in your first post.

Sorry to hear about your pain. God bless.

I have not volunteered

I love the take that Fred Rogers had on this topic. (Many people do not know he was an ordained Presbyterean minister who had been to seminary himself!) He told this story on several occasions that I know of, including in at least one of his books:

When I was a seminary student taking my first homiletics course, one Sunday I heard the worst sermon anyone could ever give…I thought! A substitute preacher had come to our church and, in his sermon, went against every rule that we had been taught in class. As he finished, I was ready to give him my unspoken failing grade; but I happened to look at the woman who was sitting beside me. With moist eyes, she turned and said, ‘That preacher said exactly what I needed to hear.’

Well, that service turned out to be one of the most important times of my life. Obviously, something had happened between that preacher’s poor sermon and that woman in need. It hadn’t happened to me. Of course, I had come there in judgment – not in need.

Ever since that day, I have recognized that the space between a person who is doing his or her best and a person who has come in need – that space is holy ground. The Holy Spirit can use whatever we offer to speak to another person’s heart. So whenever I make a television program or give a speech or just talk with a neighbor, I realize that all I need to do is give the best that I can, and God will translate it into whatever is needed most.

If you come as a beggar, as a person in need, then you’ll get what there is to be had. It doesn’t make a poor homily into a good one nor does it remove the importance of priests who make an effort to deliver really good homilies. It does mean that nothing that the Holy Spirit intends to give you will be wasted because you were sitting in judgment.

That applies to so much in life, doesn’t it?

Homily? That’s the best time to read the Sunday bulletin. :sunglasses:

We must belong to the same parish.

I know many who feel like you.

Well, she judged the situation you describe (not you) as a sad case because you explained why “even if the church was next door I doubt I would go to mass any more…The message that too many priest have started to give is wrong.”

It is sad that you live too far to make it to Mass but it is even sadder that you say you believe it wouldn’t be worth it to go even if you could. It is sad that you say this because you are too upset about political creep to look past it to what the Holy Mass really is even when the accidentals are at their worst.

You may not be culpable, but that is still, objectively speaking, a really sad situation.

You are taking everything out of my reply in the wrong way.

I never said to go to Mass when you cannot physically do so or because of any type of hardship you endure. My reply was to your comment " But even if the church was next door I doubt I would go to mass any more." “one of the reasons I stopped going to mass… is I became tired of the progressive lectures that I listened to every sunday.”
This was because of something said in a homily. THAT is what I was replying to.

My husband has not been able to attend Mass for months because of a severe brain/skull/neck issue. He watches the Mass on EWTN. But he knows that when ever this medical situation of his is better (God willing after we see the correct doctor) he will go back to Mass.

I am in NO way saying that those who for physical, medical, emotional or whatever reasons should force themselves to go to Mass at the chance of danger to their health. Of course not.

I am saying that if anybody skips Mass completely intentionally JUST because they don’t care for the Priest, are tired of hearing the same homily over and over, don’t like the music, disagree with what was said in the homily, because of who the EMHC is and on and on and on then they are wrong. Mass is NOT for entertainment. Mass is not for our comfort. Mass is for each and every one of us to Adore, Worship, Praise and Glorify Our Lord and Savior. We should come to Mass to GIVE to Him not to JUST get. He gives us every second of every day and we complain for a small amount of time He asks us to come and be with Him each week.

Mass is not a contest to see what Priest is the most popular, what homily is best or who has the better music. When we walk into the doors of our Catholic Churches IT IS ABOUT HIM NOT ME or anybody else.

Heard a great homily just this past Sunday from an FSSP priest. Real strong in moral theology. Protestant sermons don’t come close.

There was a movie back in the mid-1980s titled Mass Appeal. It contrasted an idealist young priest novice and a veteran priest who liked being a popular priest and gave entertaining sermons. See the movie.

Never saw it but I just read the plot summary of that film. Hmmmmm…

There IS a difference between knowing/assessing a homily is bad, and complaining a homily is bad.

It all begins with interior complaint.

We have to work at even that, energetically and cheerfully.

Of course. I didn’t mean anything else.
In fact the interior complaint is the more important aspect.

In fact this reminds me of the gospel story about the two sons. One who said it but didn’t do and one who didn’t say it but did do.

So one who simply assessed verbally how a homily is bad but interiorly is grateful is obviously better than someone who keeps quiet but internally unhappy about how bad the homily is.

I guess this was my main point in my original post. Not everyone who verbalises how a homily is bad necessarily is complaining. Complaining comes from the heart. It’s the internal that matters. I often discuss with my family how good or bad the homily is but I’m not really complaining. I’m simply intellectually assessing. I’m of course grateful for the priest effort and also will take what is good from the homily.

The homily is but one part of the Mass to me, and it’s kind of a value-add, something to hopefully help others get more out of the readings. If the priest misses the mark, so it goes. Priests are people too, they have good days and bad days. If you need a better explanation of the readings, there are many places to find it, what with the internet and all.

Shift your focus to the Liturgy of the Eucharist.

I will say, the one thing that does get under my skin is when a priest repeats things many many times during his homilies. But then I remember maybe not everyone goes to the same church or same mass (and sees the same priest most weeks) and hasn’t heard a certain portion. It’s not about me. And again, see above, focus on the Eucharist.

Not my problem

With as many Protestant denominations as there are, that’s a bit difficult to know. It’s not like you’re reviewing all the airport restaurants on Mars.

We just had a Bible study on the parable.

I hate it when our reader tries a british accent it annoys me! It sounds soo forced and distracting she’s not even british!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.