We were married in a Protestant church; may we receive Communion?

My wife and I have been married for 19 years and said our marriage vows to a Methodist minister. She is a cradle Catholic and I was baptised and joined the Catholic Church in 1998 through the RCIA. We have both been devout Catholics, going to Church on all of the days of obligation and going to confession, etc.

We have both been receiving Communion for years because we thought we were in good graces with God. Are we in good graces and can we continue to receive Communion; and if not what do we need to do? Does it simply need to be blessed by a priest?

God Bless You All

Hi,

Your wife, as a Catholic, did not have the right to attempt marriage outside of the Catholic Church. So the Catholic Church does not consider your marriage to be valid. If neither of you have been married previously to anyone else, it should be an easy matter to have your marriage convalidated (blessed). See your priest. In the meantime, if you cease having marital relations until you are considered to be validly married, you may go to Confession and continue to receive Holy Communion.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.