We won! (re:ebay)

Here’s their latest form letter. Notice the bold section!

Thank you for your email regarding the sale of the Holy Eucharist by one of our community members. We respect and appreciate your comments regarding this sensitive matter.

As you may know, eBay does not sell items itself. Rather, we are a global marketplace for sellers and buyers who transact directly with one another. Each day eBay’s sellers list 5 million items on the site, and those sellers decide what items they want to list. eBay did not possess, list or approve the sale of the Eucharist. The buyer and seller completed the Eucharist transaction on April 11th, before eBay even became aware of the listing.

As a marketplace, we strive to respect the diverse perspectives of our sellers. We also work hard to promote an open environment for trade. That said, eBay has policies in place to remove listings for illegal items as well as highly offensive listings that promote hate or intolerance.

We understand that the listing of the Eucharist was highly upsetting to Catholic members of the eBay community and Catholics globally. Once this completed sale was brought to our attention, we consulted with a number of our users, including members of the Catholic Church, concerning what course we should take in the future should a similar listing appear on our site. We also consulted with members of other religions about items that might also be highly sacred and inappropriate for sale. As a result of this dialogue, **we have concluded that sales of the Eucharist, and similar highly sacred items, are not appropriate on eBay. We have, therefore, broadened our policies and will remove those types of listings should they appear on the site in the future. **

As always, we welcome and appreciate the assistance of the community in upholding the rules of our site. Should you see another Eucharist listed on our site, we encourage you to notify us so we can take appropriate action. Further, we encourage you to directly communicate with the seller. Members are often unaware that a particular item is offensive to others. A respectful e-mail to the seller is often all that is needed for the seller to voluntarily remove the item. We believe this modification strikes the appropriate balance between respect for our community’s values and our goal of providing an open marketplace offering practically anything on earth. Again, we sincerely appreciate your concern and thank you for communicating your views with us. Your input has helped us frame a policy that will enable us to better serve our diverse community of users around the world.

Oh my goodness! Thanks for sharing Dr. Colossus. The Holy Spirit has won a big battle today.

Blessed are those who hunger for righteousness, for they shall be filled.

Oh, I should add that Pumpkin forwarded me this…gotta give credit!

Good prevails over evil; the light over the darkness; and there’s power in numbers.

:blessyou:
Shannin

Dr. C,

Is there an original source (web address) for the letter? Or was it sent to individuals?

[quote=Scottyp]Dr. C,

Is there an original source (web address) for the letter? Or was it sent to individuals?
[/quote]

It was sent as a reply to individuals who have emailed Ebay. As I said, Pumpkin forwarded that to me. I also saw that Miguel Delgado on this forum received one, too. extremecatholic.blogspot.com is also linking this.

here’s a copy of the email I received…

The Boycott is Over: Ebay Will Not Permit Future Auctions of Catholic Communion Hosts

What Happened?

Recently, Catholics began a boycott of Ebay and its affiliate, Paypal, over Ebay’s stated policy of continuing to permit consecrated Communion Hosts to be offered for sale through its auction site. Tens of thousands of Catholics and others closed their accounts, sent letters and emails of protest, and signed petitions. Others called the company to express their dismay.

What is the Current Status?

Much to its credit, Ebay has reconsidered, and has officially stated that, under its existing policies, sales of the Eucharist, as well as other unspecified holy objects of Catholics and other religious faiths, will not be permitted in the future. In fact, Ebay is asking Catholics to bring any violations of this policy to its attention promptly, so that it can take appropriate action.

What Exactly has Ebay Said?

(well, we’ve already got that on this thread…)

William Donohue, president of the Catholic League for Civil and Religious Rights, commented on the discrimination against Catholics exhibited by eBay. “As president of the nation’s largest Catholic civil rights organization, I was disturbed to learn that eBay would unnecessarily offend 63 million Catholics in the US, and 1.1 billion worldwide, by selling a consecrated Host online,” said Donohue. “To Catholics, the Eucharist is the center of our religion, worthy of the utmost reverence. While we don’t expect non-Catholics to maintain the same perspective, we do expect them to be respectful of our sentiments. That is why the decision not to withdraw this item is so disturbing.”

Obtaining a consecrated communion host for any purpose but immediate consumption by a Catholic in good standing, in the presence of the priest or other authorized minister, and in accordance with the norms of the Church, may in fact constitute the crime of theft in some or all US jurisdictions (larceny by trick or false pretense). Therefore, in addition to condoning gross sacrilege, Ebay may also be criminally liable for aiding and abetting the sale of stolen property.

Concerned Catholics, and others who believe that Ebay should have the decency to show some respect for things that many people hold to be sacred, have already cancelled their accounts with Ebay and its affiliate, Paypal, in protest.

[size=3]cont’d…
[/size]

What Does this Mean?

It means that the boycott over sales of the Eucharist is over. If you’ve asked Ebay and Penpal to close your accounts, you can ask for them to be reinstated, or open new ones. There are still some open questions about the other “similar highly sacred items” that Ebay describes in its letter. However, we hope that Ebay will continue to work constructively and sensitively with Catholics and members of other religions to clarify and implement this policy. In particular, as Catholics, we have for many years been attempting to end the sale of relics, especially first class relics, on the site.

It also is a powerful demonstration of how Catholics can take take constructive action to insist that the holy things of God be respected by corporations that do business with the public. It shows us what Catholics and other Christians could accomplish if we would but rise up and speak with one voice for the protection of Christ’s unborn children, for a return to morality, for love of the poor, and for justice for the oppressed,

[size=3]What Should I Do About it?

[/size]Please contact Ebay to thank it for its committment to remove future listings of the Eucharist, and express the hope that it will similarly remove all listings of first class relics.

You can thank Ebay’s whether or not you currently have (or recently had!) an account:

1. Use a web form to contact Ebay’s Customer Support

2. Write to Ebay’s president

Meg Whitman
2145 Hamilton Avenue
San Jose, California 95125

1. Send an email to Ebay at rswebhelp@ebay.com

2. Give praise and thanks to God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit for giving us the victory.

3. Pray that the Holy Spirit will show us how we can continue to work for the coming of the Kingdom.

[size=3]Our Thanks to all the Individuals and Organizations that Supported the Boycott or the Protest of Ebay’s Policy, including

cont’d…[/size]

[quote=Dr. Colossus]Here’s their latest form letter. Notice the bold section!

[/quote]

That’s great!

I thank God!

:amen:

well, I can’t get the rest of the message to post, but a lot of thanks are due to a lot of people.

I’m glad that eBay has done this, but I suspect that such offered items have always been hoaxes.

What confirms that the host for sale is or is not consecrated? Nothing, as we all know. Someone IMO was simply pulling a swindle, and it’s good that it’ll come to an end.

[quote=Richardols]I’m glad that eBay has done this, but I suspect that such offered items have always been hoaxes.

What confirms that the host for sale is or is not consecrated? Nothing, as we all know. Someone IMO was simply pulling a swindle, and it’s good that it’ll come to an end.
[/quote]

I’m inclined to believe the same thing about all but the first one. The first had pictures of the host and a very believable story because the seller was not Catholic.

Regardless, the only way to tell whether a host is consecrated or not is to witness it *being *consecrated. That’s why no one except for Eucharistic or Extraordinary Ministers may take the Host out of the Church. It’s just another reason why the eBay scandal was so serious.

[quote=Dr. Colossus]Regardless, the only way to tell whether a host is consecrated or not is to witness it *being *consecrated.
[/quote]

Indeed, and that’s why we can’t be sure that it isn’t a swindle. Your judgment that the first offering was probably actual, followed by hoaxes sounds most reasonable.

I’m just glad it’s over. I sincerely hope they can stop the sale of 1st class relics as well. You would think that this would be even more against eBay’s policies as they are human remains. Perhaps now they will listen to complaints about auctions of this sort.

Good work!

[quote=Richardols]I’m glad that eBay has done this, but I suspect that such offered items have always been hoaxes.

[/quote]

Even if they were hoaxes, the new policy will prevent real cases in the future.

Thanks to everyone who complained to Ebay!

This need some publicity to make sure it’s not a hoax

[quote=abcdefg]This need some publicity to make sure it’s not a hoax
[/quote]

I emailed eBay and asked them to verify. I’ll let everybody know if I get a response.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.