We won't be judged?

In hearing a sermon by the pastor at my wife’s bible church, the pastor said that after we die we will not be judged as long as we believe in Jesus Christ (no repentance necessary, no accountability for what one does with their life, etc…)

I was wondering if this is what all evangelical churches believe and did Jesus ever say that or does it say that anywhere in the bible?

This sounds like the logical extension of “Once Saved, Always Saved” (OSAS) belief.

I know from personal experience that OSAS is taught by some fundamentalist Baptists. There may be others.

Without hearing the sermon I will not comment on what you say he said but------

We are absolutely going to be judged. :yup: There is a judgement day.

For believers it is called the Bemis Seat of Christ and our works will be put through the fire.

1 Corinthians 3: 13-1513 each man’s work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man’s work.

14If any man’s work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward.

15If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

2 Corinthians 5:10
10For we must all appear before (A)the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may be recompensed for his deeds in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.

guy that sits in front of me at work believes this…

He feels that the ‘judged on our faith and works’ is really talking about what sort of treasure we get once we are in heaven…

Sorta makes me scratch my head personally. If in heaven we are given, basically, everything we need for our spiritual existence, regardless of if we squeaked in, or came in full steam, then how do you add to infinity.

Infinity + 1 is still infinity…

Infinity + 1 = infinity…

Honestly, this logic sound more to me like this…

“all animals are created equal, yet some are more equal than others…”

In Christ

He seems to have missed Matthew 25:31-36 re the Last Judgment of the the sheep and goats.

The pastor was likely making that assertion based on belief in strong version of substitutionary atonement, whereby Christ’s righteousness covers the sinner’s state of unrighteousness so that when God looks at the sinner he sees Christ. This righteousness is imputed onto the sinner at the moment of salvation, rendering the sinner justified before God. Since Christ has already paid the penalty for the sin, no additional judgment is needed.

This is heresy, defined at Trent:

Trent Sixth Session, Canons
CANON XI.-If any one saith, that men are justified, either by the sole imputation of the justice of Christ, or by the sole remission of sins, to the exclusion of the grace and the charity which is poured forth in their hearts by the Holy Ghost, and is inherent in them; or even that the grace, whereby we are justified, is only the favour of God; let him be anathema.

This is what the majority of evangelical Protestants do believe, nonetheless. They believe you will not be judged for sins (because Christ’s sacrifice has paid for our sins); however, your works will be judged to see what kind of reward you get in Heaven for your life. Only non-believers will be judged for sins; in fact, many Protestants believe even non-believers will not be judged for sins, except for the sin of unbelief (not following Christ). Entry into Heaven, in other words, is based entirely on Faith or Not-Faith.

Thanks, you said it better, that’s exactly what he was saying. Is this the same thing as OSAS?

Likely, that pastor is thinking of Romans 8:1 and confusing it with judgement which occurs in Matthew 25.

Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

It is true that those who walk in the spirit will not be condemmed to eternal punishment. But, we all will face Judgement Hebrews 9:27.

Did the Pastor really say you don’t need to repent? find that hard to believe. Are you sure you didn’t misunderstand?

Like everyone else is saying, that is not a Biblical view. If he really said that he should be defrocked.

What denomination is it?

Some Baptists (and possibly some others) use a verse in one of Paul’s letters about escaping judgment to back up this claim. Sorry, but I don’t have it readily available. I have often wondered if the translation of this particular verse missed the meaning of what he was trying to say. Was he using judgment and damnation interchangeably? Since, at least at first glance, it contradicts what is found elsewhere in the Bible, I lean toward faulty translations rather than something to hang my salvation on.

But, are they actually teaching repentance is not necessary?

I have never met a Baptist who teaches or believes this.

Universalists are they only ones I can think of that wouls teach something like this.

He is the pastor of an evangelical ‘bible church’. I probably misspoke by saying that he said that you need not repent. He didn’t address the issue. Although, I been to a few services and have never heard him talk of repenting.

I had never heard of the concept of ‘substitutionary atonement’ but had heard of OSAS. Before I discussed this with my wife, I wanted to have an understanding of were this pastor was coming from.

I

Love,

I think you should talk with the pastor and ask him what he believes about salvation. I wouldn’t tell him what I think, but just ask him to explain his theology about how a person is saved. You might also want to ask if he believes Jesus is the only way to salvation.

Ask for clarification as needed to be sure you understand exactly what he means. If he teaches anything that isn’t a basic Christian doctrine, tell your wife what he said and show her in the Bible - a clear passage - that shows he is wrong. Be humble in your approach so your wife doesn’t go on the defensive.

Pray about it first that God take control of this situation. I hope you just misunderstood.

More likely, given the attitude Catholics have toward us, is she choosing to misrepresent what he said?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.