Wealth and Heaven

Is this statement true:

The wealthier a person is, the harder it becomes to get to heaven.

Straight from the mouth of Jesus to our eyes and ears -

Matthew 19:23

And Jesus said to His disciples, "Truly I say to you, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.

Are we correct in assuming you mean worldly wealth?

If so then I would echo our Lord and say YES the statement is true.
There are a couple of reasons for this. First is the attachment to “Things”. A “wealthy” person is concerned with the things of this world which Jesus told us not to worry over. Rather we are to be focused on and dependent on God our Father.
Another point, and more focused to the time, is that in OT Iseal, wealth was equated with Blessings from God. So a wealthy person was seen as being in God’s favor. Jesus was dispelling this false notion.

Now, if we look at this in another way we get a different perspective. A person may handle a great deal of wealth without being wealthy in the worldly sense. By this I mean that a person could simply serve as a conduit by which the money he/she earns is channeled into the service of God and the Community. In such a case the person, even though the IRS, and the “World” might consider them “Wealthy”, they are concerned less with comfort and pleasure than with doing God’s work.

Another case, I am wealthy in Friends, Family, Faith and Joy, though by the world’s standard I have little money and so am not “Wealthy”. If, God forbid, some disaster should befall my “Things”, (which did happen once) My treasure in God (friends, family, faith) will raise me up and set me back on my feet.

Peace
James

Great post, James. I completely agree.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.